Football Programmes Centre

Ernie Hunt RIP.
AlbumAlbum   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   My Wants ListMy Wants List   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Ernie Hunt RIP.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Other Websites
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Flaming Pie

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 9:03 pm 
Post subject: Ernie Hunt RIP.

Didn’t realise that Ernie Hunt died recently. Yet another former pro footballer who suffered from Alzheimer’s disease in his later years. Ernie never really came off for Everton after Harry Catterick signed him from Wolves . When he left Goodison for Coventry he was a great success, including scoring a very famous goal( check it out on YouTube) that was was voted the first ever B B C ‘ Goal of the Season’ .R l P Ernie.
stfc831968

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 10:14 am 
Post subject:

Played for 5 1/2 seasons at Swindon at the start of his career, before his move to Wolves in September 65. My Dad remembers him well, saw him play many times, was a true legend for Swindon.
Flaming Pie

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 10:25 am 
Post subject: Ernie Hunt

To be honest, when l first typed it l thought Everton signed him from Swindon. Didn’t realise he played 82 games for Wolves before Everton signed him. A talented lad, but didn’t seem at all like a Catterick type player. By all accounts , Ernie was quite a character who enjoyed a laugh. Wish there was a a few more like him in the modern game!
Pete’s Picture Palace
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 1:15 pm 
Post subject:

Yes, that famous free kick with Willie Carr has lived long in my memory. Spent hours trying to do that with my mates in the park after the Big Match or whatever it was shown on.

Here he is in the Swindon team c 1964/5, photo no longer available from PPP as already sold. He's third row, furthest right. Some famous faces in there.

Called Ernie but was christened Roger, not sure if he changed his name to avoid confusion with the Liverpool man or not.

RIP Roger/Ernie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
Flaming Pie

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 1:29 pm 
Post subject: Ernie Hunt

Pete, looks like a young Mike Summerbee back row far left. I bet Hunt and Summerbee had a few laughs during their Swindon days!
Pete’s Picture Palace
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 2:36 pm 
Post subject:

Indeed it is Summerbee at the back and the brilliant Don Rogers is right in front of him. John Trollope is also in the back row, 2nd from right.

Quite a forward line though - Summerbee, Hunt & Rogers. A few sleepless nights for full backs there.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
Kick Off Programme

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 4:32 pm 
Post subject:

There was a story that he was booked, and when asked for his name said "Roger Hunt" the ref made some comment about not being able to pull the wool over his eyes & wrote "Ernie Hunt" The booking was quashed. Don't know if its true, but I hope it was!

A great character who will be missed
Topbidwinsagain

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 5:15 pm 
Post subject: Ernie Hunt RIP.

I had no idea about this and another sad passing of a footballer who played his early years in the lower divisions before being transferred to teams in the top division. It is correct that his 1st name was Roger as I came across his details a few weeks ago regarding his transfer to Wolves; two cheques signed by the directors of Wolves, one to Swindon Town and one to Roger which has 'signing on fee' written thereon, happier times for him and probably some good memories he created during his career.

That Swindon team produced several outstanding players and he was one.
| More
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Other Websites All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: