Football Programmes Centre

Help needed with Bobby Robson photo please
AlbumAlbum   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   My Wants ListMy Wants List   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Help needed with Bobby Robson photo please

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Anything Goes Chit Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Five and In

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 12:18 pm 
Post subject: Help needed with Bobby Robson photo please

While going through some old photos that I intend to list on Ebay tonight, I found this one.

Clearly, it's Bobby Robson at the start of his managerial career, but is this Fulham or Ipswich?

I don't recognise any of the players and what looks like an Ipswich shirt on the right is conflicted by the no. 4 one which looks like a Fulham shirt behind Bobby.

Any help appreciated as always guys.

Flaming Pie

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 1:31 pm 
Post subject: Help needed

Looks like England or Football League?,,, L to R, Bill Slater, trainer Harold Shepherdson( not certain when he got involved with England?) Robson and Ron Flowers. The player with number 4 on back could be from 1960 to 1963. I think Bill Slater had finished England duty by the early 1960s . All the best.
Texas Rangers

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 2:00 pm 
Post subject: Re: Help needed

Flaming Pie wrote:
Looks like England or Football League?,,, L to R, Bill Slater, trainer Harold Shepherdson( not certain when he got involved with England?) Robson and Ron Flowers. The player with number 4 on back could be from 1960 to 1963. I think Bill Slater had finished England duty by the early 1960s . All the best.

I think you might be right with the England / Football League call. Harold Sheperdson was involved with the national set up from 1957-1974.
Flaming Pie

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 3:38 pm 

Can’t spot Slater and Flowers in the same England line-up ,, Texas. Perhaps it is a Football League Eleven? Slater didn’t play for England after 1960. That number 4 could be Ronnie Clayton?
Five and In

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 6:12 pm 

Thanks guys.
I hadn't thought of an England link.
I assumed that is was Bobby in a managerial role as h seems to be in charge.
Now I'm completely confused Sherlock
Flaming Pie

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 6:31 pm 

Five, looks like Bobby is admiring his new England track suit. I think Umbro supplied them? Very smart indeed Laughing
Texas Rangers

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 7:48 pm 
Post subject: Re: Help needed with Bobby Robson photo please

Five and In wrote:
Thanks guys.
I hadn't thought of an England link.
I assumed that is was Bobby in a managerial role as h seems to be in charge.
Now I'm completely confused Sherlock

I'd say it's very unlikely Bobby is a manager there just based on dates and the others in the photo.

He took his first managerial role with Fulham, starting January 1968. By January 1968, Ron Flowers was with Northampton and they didn't play each other that season. Following year Bobby takes over at Ioswich, Flowers is still with Northampton and they didn't meet either. On top of that you would have to wonder why the others were there in any club situation, other than a testimonial / charity / friendly type deal.

Now I'm intrigued with this one.
Pete’s Picture Palace
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 10:58 pm 
Post subject:

Bobby Robson (4) & Ron Flowers (6) both played for the Football League XI against the Italian League XI in Milan on 1st November 1960. They may have played together on other occasions for the League but I don't have those details. Bill Slater was a Wolves player until July 1963, but my Rothmans Players Record book doesn't credit Slater with any Football League appearances, whereas it does for both Robson & Flowers.

Sir Bob and Ron also played together in several full internationals, but Slater didn't play in any of those games. He could of course have been a travelling reserve.

In all, as clear as mud...…………….
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
Flaming Pie

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 9:44 am 
Post subject: Help neede

Although his last appearance for England was April 1960, Slater appears to have been able to play in a variety of positions. You might be correct Pete, with the travelling reserve idea. Of course, it could have just been an England get together, late 1950s era? Possibly pre 1958 World Cup before travelling to the tournament? Mind you, did they have training camps in those days. I thought they just turned up with their boots!
Five and In

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 9:50 am 

I feel we're getting closer guys and thanks for all of your thoughts.

Initially I was blinded by the player on the right wearing what I thought was an Ipswich shirt, but it's obviously a tank top of some description.
| More
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Anything Goes Chit Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: