Football Programmes Centre

Ellison's turnstiles !
AlbumAlbum   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   My Wants ListMy Wants List   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Ellison's turnstiles !

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Anything Goes Chit Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MINSTERMAN

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2018 12:27 pm 
Post subject: Ellison's turnstiles !

A real speculative 40 yarder this one!

A company called Ellison's were the leading manufacturer of turnstiles from the late 1800s through to the 1950s. The remarkable durability of their products can still be seen, for example, at York City's Bootham Crescent and countless other older grounds.

Each turnstile had a serial number, and I'm trying to establish if anyone, anywhere knows of any group of enthuiasts who could help pinpoint the supply date of City's turnstiles from these numbers.

I've found some really interesting stuff on the web, and there is a great section on turnstiles in the Played In Manchester book.

thanks for any assistance or rabbit holes I can run down!
PeterE

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 9:10 am 
Post subject:

Hi

Can't help with your specific request, but check out some detail here - http://www.visitsalford.info/documents/LifeTimes_Link_11.pdf

I lived in Salford 20 years ago and recently discovered the block of flats my wife and I lived in were built on the site of the ironworks on Oldfield Road in Salford where turnstiles were made by Baileys - more info on them is here - https://www.gracesguide.co.uk/W._H._Bailey_and_Co.

All the best
Peter
MINSTERMAN

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 7:55 pm 
Post subject:

Thanks for your help with this - much appreciated.
I had found some links to the Salford documents but they were dead when I clicked on them, so it was great to get to read them at last.

Thumbs Up
| More
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Anything Goes Chit Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: