Football Programmes Centre

CONIFA world cup, Why haven't i heard about this?
AlbumAlbum   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   My Wants ListMy Wants List   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
CONIFA world cup, Why haven't i heard about this?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Anything Goes Chit Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
farmersboy

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 12:44 pm 
Post subject: CONIFA world cup, Why haven't i heard about this?

Only just heard about this from an item on the Today programme. For those who don't know CONIFA stands for the confederation of independent football associations. These are for FA's not part of FIFA. They are mostly for breakaway nations or countries or regions with strong cultures of their own that are part of other countries. Some of the ones that I have heard of are Tibet, North Cyprus and Punjab.

Any way they are having their world cup now! It is being played at non-league grounds in and around London. The quarter finals are being played tomorrow (June 5th) There are also matches played by teams who have been knocked out to give final positions from 9th to 16th.
There are highlights on you tube. If I had known about it earlier I would have tried to get to some games. It would have been a great addition to my collection. It would be great to know if anyone from this forum has been to any games.
JJPROGRAMMES

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 5:52 pm 
Post subject: Re: CONIFA world cup, Why haven't i heard about this?

farmersboy wrote:

There are highlights on you tube.

All the matches have been streamed live on the CONIFA website, watched a couple the other day when I needed my football fix (actually watched 2 matches at the same time by opening 2 screens on the PC).

Anybody after the Tournament programme you can pick them up on ebay,
Item number 273248882882

Havent been to any matches myself but have been waiting for some teamsheets and tickets to turn up on ebay but unfortunately none have come up yet.
facup1939

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 8:06 pm 
Post subject: CONIFA World Football Cup

I have been to a couple of games so far.

I attended Ellan Vannin v Cascadia at Gander Green Lane on Thursday 31st May, and myself and fellow forum member Chris Gibbs went to the International Programme Fair for a couple of hours, then dived up to Haringey Borough to see Szekely Land v Matabeleland on Saturday.

Chris went on to Enfield Town for Northern Cyprus v Tibet.

I am hoping to do a Quarter Final at Sutton tomorrow, and a Semi Final at Carshalton on Thursday, as I live nearby.

The tournament programme is priced at £5. Maybe a tad high, but it is very informative. There were no teamsheets for the game I saw at Sutton, but I did manage to snaffle one at Haringey.

Both games I have seen have been entertaining, with plenty of goals. The standard is not the highest, as you would expect, but the effort is there, and there is no doubting the pride of the players representing their region.

Well worth getting along to a game if you can.
derby1884
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 10:23 pm 
Post subject:

De_Duis

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 1:19 pm 
Post subject:

I must have a programme somewhere when this tournament was played in Hamburg Area. The Republic of Sainkt Pauli was participating back then to attrect fans.
cychris

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 2:54 pm 
Post subject: CONIFA World Cup

Yes there was a tournament in Germany(cannot remember the year)
I think most if not all of the matches were played at the Millentor
Stadion,home of ST.PAULI,who were one of the teams taking part,
which I think numbered eight.Did have some of the programmes from
the tournament,but there long gone!
| More
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Anything Goes Chit Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: