Football Programmes Centre

Old Football Postcards
AlbumAlbum   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   My Wants ListMy Wants List   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Old Football Postcards

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Shirt Collecting/Other Football Memorabilia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mdjw_41

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2018 9:13 pm 
Post subject: Old Football Postcards

I'm hoping that the good people of the forum can help in identifying some players / teams from some old football postcards. Any and all help greatly appreciated as ever.

They go in order of front and reverse of each individual card.
Re. the Huddersfield team photo, an idea of date? Most photos could be Huddersfield related.

Thank you!

Matt
Pete’s Picture Palace
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2018 10:49 pm 
Post subject:

Top one - Billy Kirton - played one game for Leeds City before joining Aston Villa in 1919. He won only one England cap, v Northern Ireland in 1921 (he scored), and played over 250 games for Villa before joining Coventry in 1928.

In the Huddersfield line-up, Dave Mangnall played for them between 1930 and 1934. Harry Raw played for them up to 1930-31 so that would make this picture dated 1930 or 31 latest.

Are these likely to be for sale at some point?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
Flaming Pie

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2018 11:22 pm 

I actually knew one of the players in the Huddersfield Town team line - up. I think we are talking early 1930s. He is not named on your card. From L to R seven along is Billy Fogg. He used to attend a day centre in a place l worked at . A very smart, dignified old bloke. He played for Tranmere, Bangor, Huddersfield and Clapton Orient. Some famous players in that outstanding Huddersfield team, he said Alec Jackson was the best of them all. Just to add, Jackson is L to R three along in the line-up. He was one of the famous Wembley Wizzards ,, England 1 v Scotland 5 1928 . Jackson got a hat-trick, Alex James the other two. Dixie Dean was in the England team , along with four players from Huddersfield. I think l have edited this more times than ‘War and Peace’ was! Trying to type it up a mountain in Wales with poor connection Wave

Last edited by Flaming Pie on Mon May 28, 2018 9:11 am; edited 4 times in total
Pete’s Picture Palace
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2018 11:30 pm 
Post subject:

Good info, Pie.

I can't find anyone called Langley in the list of Sheffield Wednesday managers....

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Sheffield_Wednesday_F.C._managers
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
Ruud Van Driver

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2018 11:50 pm 
Post subject:

Pete’s Picture Palace wrote:
Good info, Pie.

I can't find anyone called Langley in the list of Sheffield Wednesday managers....

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Sheffield_Wednesday_F.C._managers

Ambrose Langley played over 300 games for Sheffield Wednesday but didn't manage them. He did however manage Hull City and Huddersfield Town.
Flaming Pie

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2018 11:50 pm 

Pete, Just been looking at the Billy Fogg details on Wikipedia. They have his death down as 1966. I last saw him in the mid 1980s. Just shows you, be careful with what’s written on Wikipedia. Apparently, at the end of his career, he also played for New Brighton. I wish I’d asked him did he have any old programmes!

Last edited by Flaming Pie on Mon May 28, 2018 7:29 am; edited 1 time in total
Pete’s Picture Palace
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2018 12:11 am 
Post subject:

Yes, interesting.

Wikipedia also says Billy Fogg was injured in the 1929/30 semi final and so missed the final v Arsenal, yet still picked up a runners-up medal.

In my book "The Football Who's Who", printed 1935, from where the pic below comes, it says he played in the 1930 Cup Final v Arsenal. But he's not listed as playing in my Rothmans, nor in my "50 Years of English Cup Finals 1885-1935".

So this time Wikipedia 2018 is right and the Who's Who dated 1935 is wrong.

Here's Billy

Pete’s Picture Palace
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2018 12:23 am 
Post subject:

Edward (Ted) Taylor was the Huddersfield goalkeeper between 1922 and 1926. In that period he played 8 times for England.

My Who's Who depicts him thus

and I don't think that's the same chap (parting on different sides!). But the England footballers' website confirms your photo is the same chap and so my Who's Who is wrong again!
mdjw_41

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2018 8:20 am 
Post subject:

Top one - Billy Kirton - played one game for Leeds City before joining Aston Villa in 1919. He won only one England cap, v Northern Ireland in 1921 (he scored), and played over 250 games for Villa before joining Coventry in 1928.

In the Huddersfield line-up, Dave Mangnall played for them between 1930 and 1934. Harry Raw played for them up to 1930-31 so that would make this picture dated 1930 or 31 latest.

Are these likely to be for sale at some point?

Thanks for the help so far. That's a couple identified. One has a name next to Fulham but couldn't get anything to match, the ones nearer the end seem more difficult to name?

Yes, I believe the cards will be for sale.
Pete’s Picture Palace
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2018 12:10 pm 
Post subject:

OK, please PM me if they are for sale.

The card marked as W. Smith is the same Billy Smith showing as 4th left in the line-up card. So that dates him to around 1930 although he looks a bit younger in the individual card. He first joined Huddersfield in 1914 and was there till 1934.

The player Watson is in the same kit as Smith so that suggests he's also Huddersfield in the 20's/30's but I don't think he's in the line-up. He's not in my "Who's Who" of 1935 but there was a William Watson who played for Huddersfield from 1912 to 1927 so I guess it's him.

I can't find a J Houghton at Fulham either, or anywhere else, come to that.
Kvaratschelia

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 8:53 am 
Post subject:

The older gent with the moustache is David L Menzies, who was manager of Hull City when he died suddenly in 1936. Previously manager of Bradford City and Doncaster Rovers, and a player with Raith Rovers in the 1890s.
MansfieldTerrier

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 11:56 am 
Post subject:

I have a large print of the HTAFC line-up.

Players are (from front) Jimmy Smailes, Tommy Wilson, Alex Jackson, Billy Smith, Austen Campbell, Dave Mangnall, Billy Fogg, Bob Kelly, Harry Davies, Hugh Turner, Harry Raw and Roy Goodall.

It's from season 1929-30; Dave Mangnall signed for Town in December 1929

MansfieldTerrier

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 12:01 pm 
Post subject:

Edward (Ted) Taylor was the Huddersfield goalkeeper between 1922 and 1926. In that period he played 8 times for England.

My Who's Who depicts him thus

and I don't think that's the same chap (parting on different sides!). But the England footballers' website confirms your photo is the same chap and so my Who's Who is wrong again!

This is an error - the picture that you show here is Sammy Taylor who played for HTAFC in the early 1920s. He was a centre-forward who scored many goals before moving to Sheffield Wednesday.
There is a set of purple bordered cards by Brindley which make this very same mistake, using this exact same picture and referencing him as Ted Taylor.

He appears correctly on the Pinnace cards of 1920-22

Pete’s Picture Palace
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 1:18 pm 
Post subject:

Thanks for clearing up re the Taylor mix-up, Mansfield. My old "Who's Who", which I thought was 100% accurate, has now been found out twice in 24 hours. Mad
Kvaratschelia

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 1:21 pm 
Post subject:

John Houghton played for Fulham in 1920/21, but only made two appearances before going to Wigan Borough. Presumably that is not a signature, given the missing 'h'.
MansfieldTerrier

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 1:42 pm 
Post subject:

And yes, Ambrose Langley DID manage Town - December 1919 to March 1921. Unfortunately he left under a cloud, having to fall on his sword after being in favour of moving the ailing Town club lock, stock and barrel to that lot down the road in Beeston!

https://huddersfieldtowncollection.wordpress.com/the-managers/

I also have several examples of his autograph on Town related memorabilia.

MansfieldTerrier

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 1:48 pm 
Post subject:

Thanks for clearing up re the Taylor mix-up, Mansfield. My old "Who's Who", which I thought was 100% accurate, has now been found out twice in 24 hours. Mad
Ha ha!
Never mind, Pete.
I have a HTAFC Who's Who which has basic errors including the wrong photo for Clem Stephenson, substituting that of his younger brother, George.
Wouldn't mind, but Clem is one of the most well-known Town players ever and t'interweb is awash with photos of him!
I contacted the author and he was insistent that it was a photo of him as a younger man; believe me, it was George...

Nod

mdjw_41

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 6:39 pm 
Post subject:

Thank you everyone for the brilliant advice - as ever the forum has come up trumps.

A couple that were missing was:

Jimmy Beck - a Hull City trainer.

John Houghton - Hull City

Thank you all for PM's, I'll get back to you all if I haven't already.

Matt
| More
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Shirt Collecting/Other Football Memorabilia All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: