Football Programmes Centre

Paper Planes Nearly Stop Game
AlbumAlbum   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   My Wants ListMy Wants List   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Paper Planes Nearly Stop Game

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Shirt Collecting/Other Football Memorabilia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Flaming Pie

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2018 10:27 pm 
Post subject: Paper Planes Nearly Stop Game

Witnessed an excellent Tranmere v Ebbsfleet play-off at Prenton Park today. With a few signings, Ebbsfleet could go all the way next season. A smart team. Was in The Kop End, where Tranmere had provided blue and white cardboard for fans to hold up when the teams came out for the kick-off. These made excellent top quality (with high distance flying capacity ) paper planes, which the Rovers fans decided to bombard the Ebbsfleet goalie with( and other various bits of paper it has to be said) during the early stages of the game. Ashmore,the excellent away goalie, complained to the ref, and an announcement was made that the game would be abandoned if this continued. It is only fair to mention that a few sausage rolls and pasties, meat and vegetarian, were also used as misiles. This got me wandering, l remember toilet rolls being chucked at goalies years ago, but have paper planes ever been the reason for a game to come close to being abandoned before? Sherlock

Last edited by Flaming Pie on Sun May 06, 2018 2:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
Dorking

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2018 12:53 pm 
Post subject:

Palace played a last day of the season game at QPR once, and brought loads of black balloons to throw on kick off, because CPFC were in a fincial mess back then

Loads were on the pitch, and there was no wind to blow them to the edges, but the game had to kick off on time because of the simultaneous nature of the last day fixtures - I think QPR needed a win to stay up

Until about 10 mins of the game one quarter of the pitch were quite covered in these. I think the ref and a few players had a minute or so of popping them in the end.
Flaming Pie

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2018 2:59 pm 
Post subject: Paper Planes Nearly Stop Game

Dorking, didn’ t a balloon on the pitch stop a Liverpool goal at Sunderland a few years ago? Back to Ebbsfleet, if any League teams are looking for a top keeper, the lad in goal for Ebbsfleet , Nathan Ashmore, looked the part. The place was a hostile cauldron, but he pulled off some top saves, inbetween winding the home crowd up with his antics.
Dorking

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2018 3:16 pm 
Post subject:

It was either a balloon or a beach ball
beaudog

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2018 5:13 pm 
Post subject: Paper planes nearly stop game

The Sunderland shot that hit the object, a balloon I think, should have meant the referee blowing his whistle and stopping the game. The goal should not have been allowed and from memory the keeper was Reina. A dog on the pitch being hit by the ball would cause a stoppage as well. Spectators kicking the ball away from the certain goal would see their actions stopped a certain goal and the restart would be I believe a dropped ball. Who,d be a referee. I loved my time on the local parks.
Pete’s Picture Palace
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2018 5:47 pm 
Post subject: Re: Paper planes nearly stop game

beaudog wrote:
The Sunderland shot that hit the object, a balloon I think, should have meant the referee blowing his whistle and stopping the game. The goal should not have been allowed and from memory the keeper was Reina. A dog on the pitch being hit by the ball would cause a stoppage as well. Spectators kicking the ball away from the certain goal would see their actions stopped a certain goal and the restart would be I believe a dropped ball. Who,d be a referee. I loved my time on the local parks.

It was Reina and I think the shot was by Darren Bent.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
Paul Johnson

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2018 8:58 pm 
Post subject: Re: Paper Planes Nearly Stop Game

Flaming Pie wrote:
Dorking, didn’ t a balloon on the pitch stop a Liverpool goal at Sunderland a few years ago? Back to Ebbsfleet, if any League teams are looking for a top keeper, the lad in goal for Ebbsfleet , Nathan Ashmore, looked the part. The place was a hostile cauldron, but he pulled off some top saves, inbetween winding the home crowd up with his antics.

It was a Beach ball
Wullie

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 8:16 pm 
Post subject:

It was a Liverpool fan who threw the beach ball onto the pitch so i have no sympathy.
stickman

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 6:03 pm 
Post subject:

Well remembered Dorking. Yes the Rs needed to stay up that day. And I don't blame you for not mentioning (or even remembering the score). It's not often we win 6-0. Unless the opposition is Chelsea of course Laughing

A mad day. Thousands locked out. Mysterious performance from Palace keeper while the outfield players in front of him queued up for their red-cards/ early start to the summer holidays. A Van Basten-esque goal from George Kulscar, a Chris Kiwomya hat-trick, and the balloons; never seen anything like it. It was like a Hitchcock film with balloons instead of birds. Anyway at the final whistle we partied like it was 1999 as that indeed was the year.

Btw: Congrats to Palace (and Woy!) for staying up this season after that atrocious start.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=GmtyLLTa1Gw

| More
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Shirt Collecting/Other Football Memorabilia All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: