Football Programmes Centre

Manchester City 2017/2018 Premier League Champions--Boo Hoo!
AlbumAlbum   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   My Wants ListMy Wants List   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Manchester City 2017/2018 Premier League Champions--Boo Hoo!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Anything Goes Chit Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Flaming Pie

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 7:52 pm 
Post subject: Manchester City 2017/18 Premier League

Tops, l was looking forward to reading your responce to manunt 1977’s negative remarks about the current owners of City. You seem very knowledgeable about all things regarding the club. If l followed a team as good as them, l would be only too happy to come on this forum and crow about them. To come up with a what appeared to be a sarcastic ‘ this a football forum, stick to football’ type reply is not very enlightening. I take it from your responce that you do not have a problem with the issues about City’s owners that manunt 1977 raised?
Topbidwinsagain

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 7:58 pm 
Post subject: Re: Manchester City 2017/2018 Premier League Champions--Boo

manchesterunitedman1 wrote:
Topbidwinsagain wrote:
manutd1977 you are on the wrong forum--this is football.

You must have something positive to add regarding your experiences, so why not start your own topic.

How about this for a start:-

21 May 1977 was a warm, sunny day, I remember it so well, it was FA cup final match at Wembley between my club and ................................

Talking of Sunny Days, just a nudge from me about the other matters that were on hold a while ago, is the time right now? Wave

I have just been watching the Fa cup semi-final and today is a Sunny day as well. This means United will be going all the way to Wembley for the final, maybe they will be in the away dressing rooms on that day (being in the home today), it is only fair because Spurs were in the away dressing rooms and that, obviously, affected their performance in todays match. We all know that semi-finals are always played on neutral grounds, but as football is always fair next years semi-finals will be held at the Etihad Stadium, Manchester provided City reach that stage. Plan B is if United get through (and City do not) then the matches will be played at Old Trafford, but United will be in the away dressing room--just to be fair. Laughing
Got the message, will do.
RIKERBCFC

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 9:50 pm 
Post subject:

If all you other people on here missed it ALTRINCHAM are the New Champions of the Evo-Stik Northern Premier League made it with 3 matches to go. They prefer to claim they are in Cheshire not Manchester.
Topbidwinsagain

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 10:07 pm 
Post subject: Manchester City 2017/2018 Premier League Champions--Boo Hoo!

RIKERBCFC wrote:
If all you other people on here missed it ALTRINCHAM are the New Champions of the Evo-Stik Northern Premier League made it with 3 matches to go. They prefer to claim they are in Cheshire not Manchester.

You will be telling me next that MACCLESFIELD are the NATIONAL LEAGUE CHAMPIONS and they prefer to claim they are in Cheshire not Manchester.

What the hell is going on! Very Happy

Boo Hoo.
sharrowblade
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 10:15 pm 
Post subject:

I must be getting old,

I don't know what people are talking about half the time.

Make no mistake, Manchester City have been the best team this season, I've no problem with that.

But just a few questions lads......

Wiggy, - its very commendable that your not criticizing City for investing heavily on their playing side, but how come you couldn't allow Forest Green Rovers the same sentiment.

RonSaunders - defending City for spending money to simply compete. That's fine, but last season you expressed it would be churlish to congratulate FGR for doing the same as City. Why?

Tops - you appear to be upset with the nations media and their distortion of the facts, whatever that might be, but can City really be held up as a shining example of the development of youth football.

No need to shoot the messenger....yet....but just curious as to the conflicting views
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
RIKERBCFC

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 10:26 pm 
Post subject:

Keep going topps Wigan Athletic just gained promotion to the championship and they don't want to be linked with Manchester,
RIKERBCFC

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 10:27 pm 
Post subject:

Oh I forgot , Accrington Stanley.
Ronsaunders

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 10:54 pm 
Post subject:

The reason why I have no respect for FGR but acknowledge City is that, as stated before, City spend big, but not the biggest. Although they do spend money, it's not that they skew the market. FGR, from my understanding, have used the financial power of the owner to completely undermine the efforts of all local clubs by offering far more than any of the others could even wish for. That and, like TNS in Wales, they are a hobby.
littlewiggy

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 10:56 pm 
Post subject:

Pretty much what Ron said.

City are a proper football club and FGR are a rich fool's vanity project.

Without the money, City would still be a Premier League club more often than not, whilst FGR would fall off the map.

(I also loathe TNS Ron)

https://www.flickr.com/photos/newport-county-badges/albums
Ronsaunders

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 10:57 pm 
Post subject:

We all know that TNS stands for There's No Soul!
littlewiggy

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 11:02 pm 
Post subject:

Ronsaunders wrote:
We all know that TNS stands for There's No Soul!

Laughing Laughing Laughing

Topbidwinsagain

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 10:23 am 
Post subject:

Ronsaunders wrote:
As someone, like Wiggy, who hasn't got a link to City, here's my take on it. The cash that City have spent has been absolutely necessary to be able to start to compete. Although the G14 disbanded, what was left was a self serving, self perpetuating cabal who created a closed shop for each other to cream in all the money for the Champions League (in theory). The fact that certain clubs, by necessity, have managed to break that stranglehold because they have had the benefit of investors who can throw money at the club to bridge the gap has been a absolute necessity.
What I would note about City is that whilst they have splashed the cash to bridge the chasm created by the self interested, they have also invested in their youth policy in the meantime resulting in, barring this seasons' aberration, a youth team that has been in the final of the FA Youth Cup for consecutive seasons.

Manchester City whilst they can compete at the level of the others in terms of financial standing,also invested in the locality and had the foresight to encourage the youth players to join them by providing an establishment that is truly impressive. The media is always nibbling at them by stating the City team does not have the youngsters therein but they HAVE played the younger players, the difficulty for them is the bar has been raised as to the standard expected of them. What people are not recognising is that after experiencing top class facilities and coaching the youngsters move on and generally down through the football pyramid.Some clubs have abandoned the youth policies and do not run these teams anymore but they are able to sign these kids (at City) if they are available and they may also benefit without the cost intake. This procedure is not exclusive to City, other clubs are doing it and it is very competitive out there. To give you an example, Celtic are chasing a double treble (never been done before) and they recently won through to the final at Hampden--on that day they had 4 Manchester City ex-players in the team(one being currently on loan) and that is what is happening.We may agree or disagree but it is reality, the real drawback in my opinion is that these establishments (all clubs) are having an impact upon grass roots football and the numbers/standards/facilities are declining year upon year (you will note the ESFA cup has been cancelled and does not take place) and the guys who ran these junior clubs(voluntarily, in their own time,unpaid) are also moving away from the system. They call it PROGRESS, maybe another topic for you guys. Sad
Ronsaunders

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 12:17 pm 
Post subject:

Topbidwinsagain - thanks for that. I get the diatribe despite sticking up for what's happened at City.
sharrowblade
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 3:14 pm 
Post subject:

Thanks lads....I think you've reasoned your argument quite well.

I confess I know not who owns FGR, you label it 'a rich man's vanity project'.

Are not City the same.

How often does Sheikh what's his name rock up for a game?

Tops, again some good points, well noted,

I will tell Little Johnnie's story about his visit to City later.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
littlewiggy

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 3:35 pm 
Post subject:

sharrowblade wrote:

Are not City the same.

It was a fair question to ask Sharrow, as I agree that my views might seem a tad hypocritical on the surface.

As I said though, it's not the same IMO. City's wealth doesn't determine which league they play in, where Forest Green's most certainly does (by at least two levels).

That's the big difference for me.

Pete’s Picture Palace
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 3:46 pm 
Post subject:

littlewiggy wrote:
sharrowblade wrote:

Are not City the same.

It was a fair question to ask Sharrow, as I agree that my views might seem a tad hypocritical on the surface.

As I said though, it's not the same IMO. City's wealth doesn't determine which league they play in, where Forest Green's most certainly does (by at least two levels).

Hasn't that always been the case though? "Bank of England club" = Sunderland at one stage. Jack Walker at Blackburn? Dave Whelan at Wigan? Sam Hammam at Wimbledon? Countless others.
Auchinleckian
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 3:57 pm 
Post subject:

littlewiggy wrote:
sharrowblade wrote:

Are not City the same.

You're having a laugh with that one? Laughing
Flaming Pie

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 4:12 pm 
Post subject: Manchester City

Sharrow, according to the article that Manutd 1977 pointed us to, Sheik whatshisname has turned up once at City in 9 years. I think if l had pumped an estimated 1 billion into a club, l would have a slight interest in taking a look at the lads in action now and again! Pete’s point about wealthy people backing clubs financially has always been true .John Moores bankrolled Everton in the 1960s, but the man absolutely worshipped Everton and was never away from the place. He really did look after Dixie Dean , when he fell on hard times. Thats why he set that benefit game for Dixie at Goodison in the 1960s.

Last edited by Flaming Pie on Sun Apr 22, 2018 8:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
Ronsaunders

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 4:20 pm 
Post subject:

I wonder how many times that Vince bloke turned up at Forest Green in the 1980's, if we are using attendance at games as a yardstick. Cannot remember too many new age travellers at matches.
littlewiggy

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 4:23 pm 
Post subject:

Auchinleckian wrote:
littlewiggy wrote:
sharrowblade wrote:

Are not City the same.

You're having a laugh with that one? Laughing

Yep, my sides are aching fella.

| More
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Anything Goes Chit Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: