Football Programmes Centre

Manchester City 2017/2018 Premier League Champions--Boo Hoo!
AlbumAlbum   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   My Wants ListMy Wants List   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Manchester City 2017/2018 Premier League Champions--Boo Hoo!
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Anything Goes Chit Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Topbidwinsagain

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 10:44 am 
Post subject: Manchester City 2017/2018 Premier League Champions--Boo Hoo!

Still 5 games to go and Manchester City are Premier league champions, leading by 16 points and losing only 2 out of 33 games,top scorers with 93 goals, best defensive record at present (really--after all the media drivel about poor defending),and, of course, an excellent level of consistency throughout the season but not total success because this is City as we all know.Looking a little further it can be seen Manchester City do not have the best goalkeeper,they do not have the most expensive defender,they do not have the most expensive mid-fielder,they do not have the most expensive striker,they do not have the top goal scorer,and yet the media go on about City being able to buy any player they wish--Boo Hoo! BUT and a big BUT,City did not sign Johnny Evans (WBA) because he was too expensive, City did not sign Alexis Sanchez (Arsenal) because the wages were too high(around !/2 £million per week),City did not sign Mahrez(Leicester City) again, too expensive,if,as the media claim City are able to pay any price then the pure facts destroy that media myth.
So, if they are not the complete team(because other clubs have better individual players) then how did they do it? Could it be they have the BEST MANAGER, but not the best manager of all time(we all know who will receive that accolade and rightly so) but I repeat maybe the best manager. So, City again have interfered with the 'Big Boys' cartel and the media will have to be a little more cunning in playing the game of Boo Hoo! as the season ends.
cardiff55

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 2:02 pm 
Post subject:

That's because they spent all their money on this.

https://twitter.com/etisalat/status/985567113489338369?s=21

Make of it what you will!
littlewiggy

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 2:09 pm 
Post subject:

Not being cheeky Tops, so apologies if it comes across that way, but you mention City don't have the most expensive goalkeeper, defender, etc etc - but what is City's net spend on players over the last five years?

Liverpool's is £4m.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/newport-county-badges/albums
cardiff55

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 2:12 pm 
Post subject:

littlewiggy wrote:
Not being cheeky Tops, so apologies if it comes across that way, but you mention City don't have the most expensive goalkeeper, defender, etc etc - but what is City's net spend on players over the last five years?

Liverpool's is £4m.

Yes Liam, but Liverpool don't win anything!!! Crying or Very sad
littlewiggy

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 2:14 pm 
Post subject:

cardiff55 wrote:
littlewiggy wrote:

Liverpool's is £4m.

Yes Liam, but Liverpool don't win anything!!! Crying or Very sad

Laughing Laughing Laughing

True Tone.

Flaming Pie

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 3:57 pm 
Post subject: Manchester City 2017/ 2018

I gave up on being emotionally involved with football when l was a teenager. Now l just sit back and enjoy it , mainly as an armchair fan. I go to a game when l feel like it. Unless l have had a financial punt on a match, l am not that bothered who wins. Without doubt , Manchester City have been an absolute delight to watch this season. Liverpool and Spurs as well. Great football, the way it should be played. Burnley’s achievements have been outstanding, but l wouldn’t fancy a season ticket to watch that style of football. I am a Blue, but I have given up on Everton ever being known as ‘The School of Science ‘ ever again. City have some fabulous players, David Silva is rightly called a football genius, Sterling , if he could just be coached to not panic when he gets a goal scoring chance, could become a great, Sane could become a German great, and Kevin De Bruyne is almost as good as Colin Bell Clap
littlewiggy

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 5:01 pm 
Post subject: Re: Manchester City 2017/ 2018

Flaming Pie wrote:
I gave up on being emotionally involved with football when l was a teenager. Now l just sit back and enjoy it , mainly as an armchair fan. I go to a game when l feel like it. Unless l have had a financial punt on a match, l am not that bothered who wins. Without doubt , Manchester City have been an absolute delight to watch this season. Liverpool and Spurs as well. Great football, the way it should be played. Burnley’s achievements have been outstanding, but l wouldn’t fancy a season ticket to watch that style of football. I am a Blue, but I have given up on Everton ever being known as ‘The School of Science ‘ ever again. City have some fabulous players, David Silva is rightly called a football genius, Sterling , if he could just be coached to not panic when he gets a goal scoring chance, could become a great, Sane could become a German great, and Kevin De Bruyne is almost as good as Colin Bell Clap

Great post Pie, and I agree, it's hard to idolise the players of today.

I don't know if it's their unfathomable wealth or the fact the pendulum of power has swung so far in favour of players that it has created a mercenary culture.

But something struck me when Klopp took the LFC job.

It was the first time I could ever remember in my 49 years that my favourite person at the club wasn't a player.

Flaming Pie

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 5:17 pm 
Post subject: Manchester City

You have hit the nail on the head about Liverpool , Wiggy. You won’t find many Evertonians saying this, but l want him to win something big because to me he is a bit of a throw back to a long lost past. People who work at Liverpool( club shop , that type of thing) say the bloke is totally zany. What you see on TV is him . He just seems a good bloke and not a misery
arse! Apart from that, l want my grandson ( he’s a Red) see them win something , just like you did when you was a kid. My missus fancies him as well Shocked
littlewiggy

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 5:37 pm 
Post subject: Re: Manchester City

Flaming Pie wrote:
You have hit the nail on the head about Liverpool , Wiggy. You won’t find many Evertonians saying this, but l want him to win something big because to me he is a bit of a throw back to a long lost past. People who work at Liverpool( club shop , that type of thing) say the bloke is totally zany. What you see on TV is him . He just seems a good bloke and not a misery
arse! Apart from that, l want my grandson ( he’s a Red) see them win something , just like you did when you was a kid. My missus fancies him as well Shocked

LOL!!!!

He is an infectious character, no doubts.

Beneath the jovial, crazy exterior is a steely, determined guy though, he doesn't suffer fools.

The way he froze Mama Sakho out for instance, for breaching club discipline was a pointer for everybody. Sakho had been in great form too.

Likewise Coutinho. Whilst everyone at the club wanted to fight to keep him (bearing in mind he had just signed a new five-year deal), Klopp said no, it's fine - if he doesn't want to play here he can go.

Talks A Good Game

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 6:38 pm 
Post subject:

PM sent Tops.
Topbidwinsagain

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 7:17 pm 

littlewiggy wrote:

Liverpool's is £4m.

Wiggy, you are following the media mantra of pushing out the bile week after week--it is not what you spend it is how you spend it--football does not give the guarantee of success but maybe hard work does help.
Manchester City have changed the whole area around the Eitihad and built a complex that has a 7000 capacity stadium, 16 pitches with one indoors,32 room academy accommodation, a hotel,gym,injury rehab centre,and a refectory all for investment in youth football development. They have built a bridge over the main road so the little darlings are not in danger of being run over--not a small footpath type but a bloody big one.They have also donated 5 acres to the council so that other sports could be developed in a sports hub.All this in looking to the future, the complex is not only used by the public but also by the ladies team as well and all around the stadium waste land has been taken up by companies building industrial units etc and the employment in the area has rocketed upwards encouraging housing being developed for the indigenous community. In short, what has happened is really a tribute to the forward thinking owners who have engaged with the local public and have done what they promised to do.
Simply answer this: are you aware of this development, have you heard anyone mention this cost,do you consider it to be a boon for the area which was really run down with houses falling apart (remember Fowler buying up property for a song when he was with City) or do you think it is just a ruse to increase City fans to live in that area Smile
I am afraid even this forum guided the subject matter away from this club towards one of the 'big boys' and that is exactly what happens in the media including the biased geniuses on tv and those guys on the radio who talk all day and say nowt(as us Mancunians say). Bloody hell, I'd better go and have a lie down now. Smile
littlewiggy

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 7:29 pm 
Post subject:

All fair comment Tops, can't argue with any of that - it is (from what I've seen on the telly) a truly fantastic development. I've seen the stadium the kids (& ladies) play at, and I would personally crawl over hot coals to see my club have a stadium as good as that. So would a lot of lower league clubs.

I wasn't knocking City (or at least, I wasn't intending to), they've invested heavily in infrastructure which is commendable - I just meant they have spent greatly on their playing side. Which again, isn't a criticism, you still have to buy the right players after all - nothing is guaranteed, least of all in football.

I for one love watching City's brand of football, and Leroy Sane in particular.
They're deserved champs beyond a shadow of a doubt.

Topbidwinsagain

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 8:41 pm 
Post subject:

Wiggy, I understand what you are saying about your club, my comments are really about the whole theatre of media reporting and the crafty way they deflect attention away from the subject matter when pretending to be unbiased or carrying on a pretence as though the programme has not been rehearsed and they are being genuine.
Newport County as a club in the past have been somewhat similar to Accrington Stanley and I feel that success by John Coleman must be some inspiration to those guys who work their socks off for clubs where money is not the inspiration, just the natural desire to be top club in whatever division they are in.
Those diehard fans who support their team through thick and thin are the 'salt of the earth' and I have total respect for them---many on this forum I note.
I feel all of us are football fans first (i.e. the love of the game) and then true fans of our respective clubs and I have read some of the reports on here about those matches in winter with very low attendances, with the icy rain driving in their faces and no matter what they are there following their club, as I say true football fans.
Manchester City (sorry for switching back) have had bad times (nothing like your club) but we still went to the games and stuck by the club no matter what, in those days other clubs were spending millions and we only dreamed one day we might also compete on that level. The one thing about football is that times and fortunes change but,if you are a true fan, you never change. Thumbs Up
littlewiggy

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 9:11 pm 
Post subject:

Yep, spot on mate. I remember you in the Third, all the other clubs there were gutted with that comeback against the Gills at Wembley, as they wanted your fanatical away support for another year. I've admired both City & Leeds fans for the way they've stuck by their clubs.

Sorry about derailing your thread, it was all Pie's fault.

Smile

Topbidwinsagain

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 9:18 pm 
Post subject:

Talks A Good Game wrote:
PM sent Tops.

PM not received, please have another go and hopefully that will come through.
Talks A Good Game

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 9:50 pm 
Post subject:

2nd attempt at PM Tops.
manutd1977

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 11:33 am 
Post subject: Re: Manchester City 2017/2018 Premier League Champions--Boo

Topbidwinsagain wrote:
littlewiggy wrote:

Liverpool's is £4m.

Wiggy, you are following the media mantra of pushing out the bile week after week--it is not what you spend it is how you spend it--football does not give the guarantee of success but maybe hard work does help.
Manchester City have changed the whole area around the Eitihad and built a complex that has a 7000 capacity stadium, 16 pitches with one indoors,32 room academy accommodation, a hotel,gym,injury rehab centre,and a refectory all for investment in youth football development. They have built a bridge over the main road so the little darlings are not in danger of being run over--not a small footpath type but a bloody big one.They have also donated 5 acres to the council so that other sports could be developed in a sports hub.All this in looking to the future, the complex is not only used by the public but also by the ladies team as well and all around the stadium waste land has been taken up by companies building industrial units etc and the employment in the area has rocketed upwards encouraging housing being developed for the indigenous community. In short, what has happened is really a tribute to the forward thinking owners who have engaged with the local public and have done what they promised to do.
Simply answer this: are you aware of this development, have you heard anyone mention this cost,do you consider it to be a boon for the area which was really run down with houses falling apart (remember Fowler buying up property for a song when he was with City) or do you think it is just a ruse to increase City fans to live in that area Smile
I am afraid even this forum guided the subject matter away from this club towards one of the 'big boys' and that is exactly what happens in the media including the biased geniuses on tv and those guys on the radio who talk all day and say nowt(as us Mancunians say). Bloody hell, I'd better go and have a lie down now. Smile

Being a Mancunian it has always been a sense of pride knowing Manchesters part in ending slavery, and the way Manchester has always been known as a welcoming ,friendly city.
From the Peterloo struggles through to being a nuclear free city, it's sad now to see Manchester City Council suck up to citys owners and ignoring their appalling human rights record.
Manchester shamefully has ignored its past and sold its soul to these people for black gold.

https://medium.com/@NcGeehan/the-men-behind-man-city-a-documentary-not-coming-soon-to-a-cinema-near-you-14bc8e393e06

Still what's a bit of human rights abuse when you can have some new facilties built in the area...
Topbidwinsagain

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 11:29 pm 

manutd1977 you are on the wrong forum--this is football.

You must have something positive to add regarding your experiences, so why not start your own topic.

How about this for a start:-

21 May 1977 was a warm, sunny day, I remember it so well, it was FA cup final match at Wembley between my club and ................................
Ronsaunders

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 9:28 am 
Post subject:

As someone, like Wiggy, who hasn't got a link to City, here's my take on it. The cash that City have spent has been absolutely necessary to be able to start to compete. Although the G14 disbanded, what was left was a self serving, self perpetuating cabal who created a closed shop for each other to cream in all the money for the Champions League (in theory). The fact that certain clubs, by necessity, have managed to break that stranglehold because they have had the benefit of investors who can throw money at the club to bridge the gap has been a absolute necessity.
What I would note about City is that whilst they have splashed the cash to bridge the chasm created by the self interested, they have also invested in their youth policy in the meantime resulting in, barring this seasons' aberration, a youth team that has been in the final of the FA Youth Cup for consecutive seasons.

Last edited by Ronsaunders on Sat Apr 21, 2018 12:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
manchesterunitedman1

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 12:23 pm 
Post subject: Re: Manchester City 2017/2018 Premier League Champions--Boo

Topbidwinsagain wrote:
manutd1977 you are on the wrong forum--this is football.

You must have something positive to add regarding your experiences, so why not start your own topic.

How about this for a start:-

21 May 1977 was a warm, sunny day, I remember it so well, it was FA cup final match at Wembley between my club and ................................

Talking of Sunny Days, just a nudge from me about the other matters that were on hold a while ago, is the time right now? Wave

To see 19,900++ original items relating to Newton Heath & Manchester Utd 1878-2023 then visit www.flickr.com/photos/manchesterunitedman1/sets to see entire uploads.

1000's more images to be uploaded, to view the latest uploads go to www.flickr.com/photos/manchesterunitedman1/

Click any images 21 MILLION views to date to the Flickr site since 2007 growing every day. New Uploads weekly. Thank You to one & all for visiting!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
| More
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Anything Goes Chit Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: