Football Programmes Centre

John Coleman Manager Of The Year?
AlbumAlbum   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   My Wants ListMy Wants List   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
John Coleman Manager Of The Year?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Everything and Anything Scottish. In Honour of John Holroyd. RIP.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Five and In

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 8:59 am 
Post subject: John Coleman Manager Of The Year?

I can see Wiggy's point about the merry-go-round managers when they step up to the bigger jobs like Hodgson at Liverpool & England and Moyes at Man Utd, but feel that they do have a role at a certain level.

I don't think anybody can deny that Moyes at Everton, Allardyce at Bolton, Hughes at Blackburn and Pulis at Stoke did a decent job on the whole.

I do also agree with the previous comments about mediocre foreign managers getting top flight jobs ahead of young British managers.

Watford are probably more guilty than most and Birmingham's treatment of Gary Rowett last season was awful when they rewarded his great work with the sack because they wanted Zola..

The big concern for me is when the average foreign manager becomes part of the merry-go-round.

Marco Silva in my opinion is vastly overated, but mentioned every time a job comes up and will get a top flight job in the summer I expect.
I know he was at Hull and Watford, but eight wins at each club in total should not see him get a top job.
Flaming Pie

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 10:02 am 
Post subject: John Coleman Manager

I think goonerboy’s comments that clubs are so terrified of relegation that they will bring in the old guard , in a desperate attempt to keep them up , is the crucial comment. Perhaps Everton really did think they were in danger this season, , so they brought in Big Sam ,and thought to hell with playing attractive football? If you think back, Liverpool did not win a thing from 1966 until 1973. I know they were never in danger of relegation, but would Bill Shankly really have been given seven years to get it right in the modern game. ? If he had been dumped in say 1970, would Shankly still enjoy the legendary status that is now bestowed on him? Mind you , he was still relatively young , and was such a top manager, he would probably have been a success at another club. Perhaps the first Scotland manager to win a World Cup Sherlock
littlewiggy

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 11:14 am 
Post subject:

sharrowblade wrote:
littlewiggy wrote:

I used that term because whenever a vacancy at a relegation threatened club arises, you can guarantee the chosen applicant invariably comes from that LMA circle of names, despite them usually leaving a catalogue of failure in their wake. This familiar mode of action by panicked clubs (in my opinion) has ground the progression of promising young UK managers being given a chance to a halt. That (in my opinion) is a far bigger problem than Sam Allardyce not getting offered the Man United job.

So...given that synopsis, is it the previous aforementioned serial failures or the clubs to blame for halting the progression of young managers Confused

Fair question and it's obviously the latter without a doubt - the clubs' view is constantly one of sod the future, we need to protect the here & now (i.e. the Premier League £££) - although the chaps themselves have clearly & intentionally forged certain relationships within the game with a sole view to self preservation. Such as allying themselves with certain influential managers (i.e. Ferguson) and certain journalists.

So they're not completely blameless, although their motivation is at least completely understandable.

Given the characters and in particular the egos involved, I seriously doubt they would climb up anybody's backside for anything other than feathering their own nests (I don't include Mark Hughes in this comment btw as I feel he's a very nice, genuine guy - just not a particularly great manager - but the others certainly).

The likes of Dyche, Howe, Hughton etc have had to get clubs promoted to be afforded a chance - are there others out there like them who'll never get that break?

Absolutely.

And that is as much a reason why British managers no longer rise to get top jobs as the foreigners that the LMA likes to blame.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/newport-county-badges/albums
| More
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Everything and Anything Scottish. In Honour of John Holroyd. RIP. All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: