Football Programmes Centre

John Coleman Manager Of The Year?
AlbumAlbum   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   My Wants ListMy Wants List   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
John Coleman Manager Of The Year?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Everything and Anything Scottish. In Honour of John Holroyd. RIP.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Flaming Pie

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 1:31 pm 
Post subject: John Coleman Manager Of The Year?

With very little finance, John Coleman is about to take Accrington Stanley to Division One for the first time in their history. Interviewed the other week , he was asked about the secret of their success? He said that his players are welcome to have a few in the club bar after the game( apparently they have reduced prices for a couple of hours) and he gives them Monday off training if they win over the weekend. Didn’t someone once say football is really a simple game!
Pete’s Picture Palace
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 2:52 pm 
Post subject:

....... just ahead of Sean Dyche.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
littlewiggy

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 4:00 pm 
Post subject:

Coleman is a brilliant manager - from operating on a fraction of some clubs' budgets - to picking the team up off the floor after the disappointment of last season's near miss - it really is some achievement.

They do benefit geographically from some great loans, but don't let that take anything away from what a magnificent job Coleman does every year on a shoestring.

Although that said, Sparky Hughes has to be up there too.
Taking two teams down in the same season is no mean feat.

Very Happy

https://www.flickr.com/photos/newport-county-badges/albums
Five and In

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 8:45 am 
Post subject: John Coleman Manager Of The Year?

There has been some magnificent achievements so far this season and Coleman is right up there.

As Pete says, Sean Dyche has to be the top man for me in the Premiership. Burnley in Europe on a smaller budget than a corner shop....Wow!!

In the Championship, Neil Warnock has worked wonders, but for me, Neil Harris at Millwall will have pulled off a miracle if they end up in the play offs.

Agree with Wiggy about Sparky.....Has anybody else ever managed to relegate two teams in the same season before?
gfcpaul

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 8:59 am 
Post subject:

Can't disagree with any of the above but I would add
John Askey for the achievement at Macclesfield.
Getting back into the Football league with no money and virtually no players a few weeks before the season started would be remarkable.
littlewiggy

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 11:01 am 
Post subject: Re: John Coleman Manager Of The Year?

Five and In wrote:
There has been some magnificent achievements so far this season and Coleman is right up there.

As Pete says, Sean Dyche has to be the top man for me in the Premiership. Burnley in Europe on a smaller budget than a corner shop....Wow!!

In the Championship, Neil Warnock has worked wonders, but for me, Neil Harris at Millwall will have pulled off a miracle if they end up in the play offs.

Agree with Wiggy about Sparky.....Has anybody else ever managed to relegate two teams in the same season before?

Sparky will be alright though Five, he'll probably rock up in October with the Wolves job.

Them's the benefits of being part of the LMA inner-circle clique - that never-ending merry-go-round of Pulis, Allardyce, Pardew, Hughes, Hodgson and Moyes - those unflushable turds that the press never ever criticise because they're victims of the dirty foreigners who keep taking the top English jobs.

The fact they're perennial failures who've spectacularly blown every chance they've ever been given in a top job is purely coincidental and inconsequential. Never happened.

Very Happy

Pete’s Picture Palace
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 2:18 pm 
Post subject:

That's quite funny Wiggy, that list of merry-go-round managers just about mirrors Palace over the last 5 years. Except Moyes and Hughes.

To be fair to the others, between them, they've kept Palace in the Prem. But only just. And they're all better than Frank De Boer. Get My Coat
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
Flaming Pie

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 2:49 pm 
Post subject: John Coleman Manager

I notice the bookies have stopped taking bets on Mick McCarthey for the next Leeds manager. Alan Pardew is also in the running for the lpswich job. Are the supporters of these two clubs happy with this ? I know Accrington don’t want to loose him, but why isnt Coleman in the running for these type of jobs?
littlewiggy

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 3:40 pm 
Post subject:

Allardyce was a regular moaner that Johnny Foreigner kept him & his mates from getting the top jobs, and famously claimed he should be managing Real Madrid.

The fact that it's he and his clique of dinosaurs who are continually blocking the pathway & stunting the progression of promising young British managers was completely lost on the vain oaf.

* No offence to your good self or Palace Pete, but you know my view on these charlatans. Hodgson will spin keeping Palace up as a great success (he's a master at lowering expectation) - when it should've been a minimum requirement with the decent squad of players you have there.

Pete’s Picture Palace
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 3:54 pm 
Post subject:

He didn't lower expectation. He inherited PL 4, L 4, PTS 0 which soon became PL 7, L7, F 0, A 17, PTS 0. The squad was shot to pieces thanks to that Dutch oaf. Palace so far haven't even won a point without Zaha in the team and he's missed about 11/12 games of the 34. So far he hasn't spun anything Wiggy. I'm not his biggest fan and his tactics in the second half on Saturday (when 3-2 up v Brighton) were questionable. But you have to give some credit where it's due. We're not safe yet but could get 40 ish points and end up 15th which would be a minor miracle considering we started our season in October. That's how I would spin it anyway.
littlewiggy

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 4:51 pm 
Post subject:

Zaha's been magnificent, he's almost kept you up single-handed Pete.

Indeed, Wilfried would be my England World Cup squad wildcard were I Mister Southgate.

Flaming Pie

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 5:02 pm 
Post subject: John Coleman

I think Wilfred plays for The lvory Coast Wiggy.
Pete’s Picture Palace
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 5:09 pm 
Post subject:

He was born there so is entitled to play where he wants. He was behind Lingard, Townsend, Sterling and about 3 others in the pecking order. Ironically Hodgson gave him his England debut in a friendly and Allardyce & Southgate didn't pick him, largely due to his ineffective season under Moyes at Man Utd. Funny how those managers names are turning up again.
sharrowblade
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 9:41 pm 
Post subject: Re: John Coleman Manager Of The Year?

littlewiggy wrote:
Them's the benefits of being part of the LMA inner-circle clique - that never-ending merry-go-round of Pulis, Allardyce, Pardew, Hughes, Hodgson and Moyes - those unflushable turds that the press never ever criticise because they're victims of the dirty foreigners who keep taking the top English jobs.

The fact they're perennial failures who've spectacularly blown every chance they've ever been given in a top job is purely coincidental and inconsequential. Never happened.

Very Happy

Sorry Wiggy, although I agree with your sentiments regarding John Coleman at Stanley, your remarks about the above managers is out of order.

No matter what you think of them, I find the phrase you use somewhat offensive.

Personally, they are not my favourite managers neither, but as for being perennial failures, who have blown every job.... I mean really come on, that is laughable.
littlewiggy

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 9:49 pm 
Post subject:

You're entitled to your opinion buddy, and I'm entitled to mine.

As I understand it, that's what forums are for.

If you think these guys are success stories, then that is fine.
That is your opinion. It doesn't offend me.

sharrowblade
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 10:06 pm 
Post subject:

littlewiggy wrote:
You're entitled to your opinion buddy, and I'm entitled to mine.

As I understand it, that's what forums are for.

If you think these guys are success stories, then that is fine.
That is your opinion. It doesn't offend me.

Yes, I accept that, but labelling people as 'unflushable turds' is unneccessary and not warranted.
littlewiggy

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 10:18 pm 
Post subject:

Firstly mate, as my smiley helped to indicate, the comments were largely tongue-in-cheek. Although I can accept not everybody appreciates my idea of humour.

Secondly, I didn't say they have blown every job, I said whenever given one of the top jobs they crave, they have spectacularly blown it. This is fact, no?

Lastly, I used that term because whenever a vacancy at a relegation threatened club arises, you can guarantee the chosen applicant invariably comes from that LMA circle of names, despite them usually leaving a catalogue of failure in their wake. This familiar mode of action by panicked clubs (in my opinion) has ground the progression of promising young UK managers being given a chance to a halt. That (in my opinion) is a far bigger problem than Sam Allardyce not getting offered the Man United job.

I rarely get offended by what people write on the internet Sharrow, if I see something I don't like or don't agree with, I tend to either move onto something else or offer up my own opinion.

thedabs

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 10:38 pm 
Post subject: Players

I share the opinion on some managers but the players, especially in the premiership, are far more accountable.

Underperforming is rife at this level

West Brom are a case in point. Good manager, players happy to pick up the pay slip!
goonerboy

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 11:18 pm 
Post subject:

Some interesting points but I do share wiggy's view on the mentioned names. They are bottom half of the table managers who work best as "underdogs" rather than "top dogs". The irony is that old guard are well known and realistically they are only going to get you so far and largely with functional football. Sadly the cost of being relegated is such that clubs will happily look to the old guard who can keep them in the league now and to hell with the future

Very few clubs have the willingness to take a chance on lower league managers yet surely it is the club's like stoke or Southampton etc who would be the next step for an up and coming manager. Yet they seem to put more value on foreign managers than someone in the championship and that is big shame.
sharrowblade
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 11:58 pm 
Post subject:

littlewiggy wrote:

I used that term because whenever a vacancy at a relegation threatened club arises, you can guarantee the chosen applicant invariably comes from that LMA circle of names, despite them usually leaving a catalogue of failure in their wake. This familiar mode of action by panicked clubs (in my opinion) has ground the progression of promising young UK managers being given a chance to a halt. That (in my opinion) is a far bigger problem than Sam Allardyce not getting offered the Man United job.

So...given that synopsis, is it the previous aforementioned serial failures or the clubs to blame for halting the progression of young managers Confused
| More
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Everything and Anything Scottish. In Honour of John Holroyd. RIP. All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: