Football Programmes Centre

Manchester United in Europe 1960s wanted
AlbumAlbum   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   My Wants ListMy Wants List   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Manchester United in Europe 1960s wanted

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Football Programmes You Require
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CodeXIII

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 6:01 pm 
Post subject: Manchester United in Europe 1960s wanted

Looking for the following United 1960 programmes in Europe. Not too fussed about tokens but must be good condition minimum. Excellent / near mint preferred.

United v Willem II home
United v Willem II away - b/w cover, not green and red cover.

United v Djurgarden - away
United v Borussia Dortmund - away
United v Ferencvaros - away (was a programme issued?)

United v HJK Helsinki - home
United v Benfica - away

United v Gornik Zabrze - away

United v Rapid Vienna - away (was a programme issued)

PM if you have any for sale.
thanks
Dave
MINSTERMAN

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 6:21 pm 
Post subject:

hi Dave
PM will be sent shortly
Paul
CodeXIII

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 10:35 am 
Post subject:

Thanks to Minsteman and The Dabs for excellent service and quality items.

now just need:

United v Willem II home CWC
United v HJK Helsinki - home EC

Was the United v Young Boys a EC 58/59 a prelim or a friendly?
Stourbridge Lion

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2018 11:08 am 
Post subject:

Young Boys was a friendly game.
manchesterunitedman1

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2018 2:18 pm 
Post subject:

Despite not winning the First Division Championship in 1957-8 due to the Munich Air Disaster, Manchester United were included in the European Cup Draw and were paired with Young Boys Berne.

United were appreciative but respectfully declined because their new team of some "old heads" & young players needed to be involved in English League & Cup Football only until both Busby and Murphy could evaluate what was going on. United ended up 1958-9 miraculously in runners up spot and everyone reckoned they were simply playing on Adrenaline only.

However, United played Young Boys Home and Away as friendly games, see some images below.

One the other question there were no programmes printed in Hungary v Ferencvaros or against Rapid Vienna.

I do have something from the away game in Hungary if you want to email me.

This is from the away game in Berne https://flic.kr/p/69j1Ky

someone cannot smell "Swiztzerland" Laughing

To see 19,900++ original items relating to Newton Heath & Manchester Utd 1878-2023 then visit www.flickr.com/photos/manchesterunitedman1/sets to see entire uploads.

1000's more images to be uploaded, to view the latest uploads go to www.flickr.com/photos/manchesterunitedman1/

Click any images 21 MILLION views to date to the Flickr site since 2007 growing every day. New Uploads weekly. Thank You to one & all for visiting!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
TheMusic

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2018 2:36 pm 
Post subject:

On the games away at Ferencváros, nothing has ever been seen but programmes have started to emerge over the years from various matches in Hungary around that period, notably the national team matches against Italy and Switzerland amongst others and I 've turned up multiple Hungarian programmes over the recent past which I'd had down as non-issues. Therefore, although no programme has appeared yet, I remain at least open to there having been one produced, at least for the first match. Clearly it would incredibly rare but I'm not ruling it totally.
manchesterunitedman1

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2018 3:44 pm 
Post subject:

TheMusic wrote:
On the games away at Ferencváros, nothing has ever been seen but programmes have started to emerge over the years from various matches in Hungary around that period, notably the national team matches against Italy and Switzerland amongst others and I 've turned up multiple Hungarian programmes over the recent past which I'd had down as non-issues. Therefore, although no programme has appeared yet, I remain at least open to there having been one produced, at least for the first match. Clearly it would incredibly rare but I'm not ruling it totally.

Well Mat

I applaud your optimism but 2 matches that had 60,000 and then 90,000 attend in the Nep Stadium and 52 years later not a single scrap has so far materialised, I would love it if your right but you would expect something, even a team sheet from the press or something the players were handed, after all it was only the 60's ......

To see 19,900++ original items relating to Newton Heath & Manchester Utd 1878-2023 then visit www.flickr.com/photos/manchesterunitedman1/sets to see entire uploads.

1000's more images to be uploaded, to view the latest uploads go to www.flickr.com/photos/manchesterunitedman1/

Click any images 21 MILLION views to date to the Flickr site since 2007 growing every day. New Uploads weekly. Thank You to one & all for visiting!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
TheMusic

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2018 9:23 pm 
Post subject:

Hi Leslie, I know, but it's a special situation in Hungary, a world away from British programme traditions. Programmes seem to have been issued for most big matches - derbies, some European matches and finals, especially those involving the most popular club, Ferencváros, but the strangely the print runs seem to have been minimal and, in general, paper ephemera like this for specific sporting events rarely survives the general clear-outs people have over the years (remember many people in Budapest lived in small-ish flats) when each district's inhabitants dump all their unwanted stuff on the street on a designated day each year for the council to dispose of.

Match tickets is a case in point - tickets were certainly issued for all official matches at the national stadium when crowds were regularly 30,000-90,000-strong but they are extremely hard to find and then which match it was valid for needs to be worked out, something which is tremendously difficult with no master list, no details printed on the front and no info has been noted on the back by the original user.

The mystery endures and the search continues! Sherlock Easy Laughing
seand

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 5:54 pm 
Post subject:

You can add modern reproductions of non-issues to the mix in Hungary. There was a thread on here recently about a mysterious never-before-seen programme from Ferencvaros-Liverpool 74-5 Cup Winners Cup which surfaced out of nowhere in 2003 or so with some bullsh1t back story about coming from the Veszprem FTC supporters club. Remarkably modern looking paper, print and font. Some details here.

http://www.lfcineurope.com/7475-2.html

If something previously unknown did come to light for the United games I’d be highly dubious.
TheMusic

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 6:03 pm 
Post subject:

It would be evident straightaway if something arises as it would be on similar paper and in a similar style to other mid-1960s Hungarian issues. That one you mention from 1974-75 is indeed dubious and personally I don't count it as original.
| More
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Football Programmes You Require All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: