Football Programmes Centre

Sarajevo v Man United - gift
AlbumAlbum   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   My Wants ListMy Wants List   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Sarajevo v Man United - gift

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Anything Goes Chit Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CodeXIII

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 8:31 pm 
Post subject: Sarajevo v Man United - gift

Thought some United fans / collectors might like to see these pics from FC Sarajevo. It's the gift United gave them for the home game in 1967.

I asked about the programme and they had 3 which were destroyed in a fire about 6 years ago (so it's now ever rarer!)

Topbidwinsagain

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 11:51 pm 
Post subject: Sarajevo v Man United-gift

Looks a really good, unusual item, visually has no comparison in my opinion.
You mentioned the programme---the Sarajevo v Manchester United 1967--we have one in our auction on 27 March next.
Sorry if you feel I am piggy backing on this but there is a direct link in circumstances here and it may be a topic that interests some of the members in due course.
manchesterunitedman1

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 1:58 am 
Post subject: FK Sarajevo

Firstly, the item coming up for Auction is not an official programme, it has neither a price printed on it or any team line ups, it was printed by FK and given only to the dignatories from either side, no players were given a copy.

The copies of both that will appear this week, I had a bit of a hand originally when they got sold to a collector as well as the Estudiantes item many years ago. The collector decided to sell up years later and both of these 2 items were sold by FSA in Luton several years ago when he ran an honest business.

On that day in Luton the person who purchased them both is the same person hoping to sell them this coming week.

Considering that these two were found, then sold and now appear again it shows how difficult they are to obtain.

My calculations are that only 8 copies of the "programme" from Sarajevo have ever turned up and the Estudiantes item is similar to that of Saravevo-not a programme as no price or team line ups appear as they were produced and given also to dignatories on both sides as part of a "pack" and came in a folder-so far i would say that there are perhaps a few less Estudiantes "programmes" that have turned up compared to the Sarajevo.

Anyway, as I have always maintained where there is one.....

The images i am showing are included in the calculations I made earlier that have appeared to date since 1967 and 1968 respectively, oh to have an original ticket from those games, that would be the icing on the cake eh!
https://flic.kr/s/aHsjeAGCCJ
https://flic.kr/s/aHsjeBFULY
https://flic.kr/p/6iQYoa
https://flic.kr/p/6iUYKd
https://flic.kr/p/6iQNbM
https://flic.kr/p/6iQNvi
https://flic.kr/p/eiUZF9
https://flic.kr/p/4XAzoE
https://flic.kr/p/GDSTUD

It is worth pointing out that both the Sarajevo & the Estudiantes items in question have both been re-printed, the Sarajevo re-print did have the wording reprinted on the back inside page, but the Estudiantes re-print that was printed by a former forum member has nothing at all to say it was just a laser copied item.

I would wish to point out that both the Estudiantes and the Sarajevo items I am showing to you all for "programmes" and tickets are all genuine items.

Both the FK Sarajevo and Estudiantes " programmes" although not actual programmes are however considered by MUFC collectors as programmes and I also would agree with that for sure. Wave

To see 19,900++ original items relating to Newton Heath & Manchester Utd 1878-2023 then visit www.flickr.com/photos/manchesterunitedman1/sets to see entire uploads.

1000's more images to be uploaded, to view the latest uploads go to www.flickr.com/photos/manchesterunitedman1/

Click any images 21 MILLION views to date to the Flickr site since 2007 growing every day. New Uploads weekly. Thank You to one & all for visiting!

Last edited by manchesterunitedman1 on Mon Mar 26, 2018 12:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
Topbidwinsagain

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 7:51 am 
Post subject: Sarajevo v Man United-gift

Leslie, thankyou for the great detail you have put together, both the items are under the listing 'as rare as rocking horse '----', then you add the tickets, you have, and it projects the reference to another level.
If the item(s) pass on to a new owner(s) and I hope they do, they may be forum members and they will appreciate the information you have given and the time taken to illustrate the history of United in Europe in those days when even tv relied on recorded matches rather than the all round coverage we 'enjoy' today.
Both Sarajevo and Estudiantes lacked proper fan club match publications and seem to have relied on the local newspapers/magazines for the public to enjoy.
The subject matter for this topic though appears to be a devil of a good idea.
Smile
Cantona93

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 10:46 am 
Post subject: Re: Sarajevo v Man United - gift

CodeXIII wrote:
Thought some United fans / collectors might like to see these pics from FC Sarajevo. It's the gift United gave them for the home game in 1967.

I asked about the programme and they had 3 which were destroyed in a fire about 6 years ago (so it's now ever rarer!)

A very interesting post so thanks for sharing
manchesterunitedman1

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 12:44 pm 
Post subject: Re: Sarajevo v Man United - gift

CodeXIII wrote:

This Red Devil on a plinth was also given by United to a few other clubs that they met in Europe in the 1960's. I have seen others with different plaques on them besides any that are in the " official" MUFC museum.
Out of interest why did you choose to show these images, did you visit FK and took them yourself?. Wave

To see 19,900++ original items relating to Newton Heath & Manchester Utd 1878-2023 then visit www.flickr.com/photos/manchesterunitedman1/sets to see entire uploads.

1000's more images to be uploaded, to view the latest uploads go to www.flickr.com/photos/manchesterunitedman1/

Click any images 21 MILLION views to date to the Flickr site since 2007 growing every day. New Uploads weekly. Thank You to one & all for visiting!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
CodeXIII

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 12:56 pm 
Post subject:

Hi Leslie,
I was there this week on business and the small museum and trophy cabinet was in the same room as our meeting so I asked if he had any of the home programmes (the PR guy mentioned the fire and that the 3 they had were destroyed) and then asked if I'd like to hold the gift they were given by United for the home game!

I then took the 3 pics when it was back on the shelf. Sarajevo FC now doing ok in the Bosnia league but still the fifth most successful team from the formwer Yugoslavia behind the two Belgrade teams, Split and Zagreb.

One question: it's not a red devil but a red horse / unicorn!! What's the story behind that specific animal and the original design?

PS - well worth a visit to the city of Sarajevo, the old stadium and the small museum in the city centre (it may be appointment only though for the trophy room!)
manchesterunitedman1

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 1:03 pm 
Post subject: Re: Sarajevo v Man United-gift

Topbidwinsagain wrote:
Leslie, thankyou for the great detail you have put together, both the items are under the listing 'as rare as rocking horse '----', then you add the tickets, you have, and it projects the reference to another level.
If the item(s) pass on to a new owner(s) and I hope they do, they may be forum members and they will appreciate the information you have given and the time taken to illustrate the history of United in Europe in those days when even tv relied on recorded matches rather than the all round coverage we 'enjoy' today.
Both Sarajevo and Estudiantes lacked proper fan club match publications and seem to have relied on the local newspapers/magazines for the public to enjoy.
The subject matter for this topic though appears to be a devil of a good idea.
Smile

Hi Roy

I agree that there was little emanating re FK Sarajevo in 1967 but on the other hand there was an enourmous amount of stuff centering on Estudiantes because of their success winning the Copa Libatadores which is the equaivalent of the South American European Cup of course as we all know in 1968. The El Grafico and Gola magazines were full off it but also some publications that Estudiantes were producing also which were available to their fans about the 1968 Libatodres win and the forthcoming "battle" with Manchester United from England have turned up over the years-for sure very scarce. I have a Spanish Dentist living next door but one to me for the last 8 years and I keep meaning to ask him to translate some of them!

Ironically Estudiantes played Palmeiras in May 1968 winning 2-1 at home, losing 1-3 away but winning the 3rd match 2-0 to qualify to met United.

In 1999 once the Treble had been secured, United met in the Intercontinental Cup Final in Japan, Palmeiras for the 1st time, but it could have been very different back in 1968.

https://flic.kr/s/aHsjD7MJWp

Wave

manchesterunitedman1

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 1:16 pm 
Post subject:

CodeXIII wrote:
Hi Leslie,
I was there this week on business and the small museum and trophy cabinet was in the same room as our meeting so I asked if he had any of the home programmes (the PR guy mentioned the fire and that the 3 they had were destroyed) and then asked if I'd like to hold the gift they were given by United for the home game!

I then took the 3 pics when it was back on the shelf. Sarajevo FC now doing ok in the Bosnia league but still the fifth most successful team from the formwer Yugoslavia behind the two Belgrade teams, Split and Zagreb.

One question: it's not a red devil but a red horse / unicorn!! What's the story behind that specific animal and the original design?

PS - well worth a visit to the city of Sarajevo, the old stadium and the small museum in the city centre (it may be appointment only though for the trophy room!)

Good Question!

Maybe the Red Devil masqueraded as a Unicorn??. I think you would have to ask the "experts" at the MUFC Museum.
[email protected]

Wave

Pete’s Picture Palace
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 1:44 pm 
Post subject:

It's a great thread and a brilliant item but - sorry for being pedantic - it's not a "unicorn" as it has two horns!

Sherlock
CodeXIII

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 1:50 pm 
Post subject:

There's always one... Smile

It was a chunky piece too. the 'unicorn' / Ibex / Lion / devil etc was about 9" high on a heavy duty plinth. the plaque was fading and my photography wasnt the best for that last shot!

It was sad to see a lot of their older stuff had been destroyed in the fire and before that in the Balkan war but they're still going and also have a very successful ladies team who qualify regularly for the women's champions league stages.

and they've always played in maroon since 1946.
| More
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Anything Goes Chit Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: