Football Programmes Centre

Walter Tull Project
AlbumAlbum   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   My Wants ListMy Wants List   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Walter Tull Project

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Anything Goes Chit Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pete’s Picture Palace
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 6:22 pm 
Post subject: Walter Tull Project

As most of you know, Walter Tull was one of our first black footballers and his career was interrupted by WW1 - it is said that his actions in the war merited a Military Cross but he was denied this due to the colour of his skin.

Should you be interested in righting this palpable and disgraceful wrong, there is a campaign headed by this Twitter account:-

https://twitter.com/WTHLP

Over to you guys. Thank you.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
Pete’s Picture Palace
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 2:23 am 
Post subject:

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
littlewiggy

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 10:52 am 
Post subject:

They were promoting this on TalkSport yesterday.

It's good to see it's gaining momentum.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/newport-county-badges/albums
stfc831968

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 12:30 pm 
Post subject:

They featured this on our local news programme on Thursday evening (Look East) and they said then there would be more shown on Football Focus today
Auchinleckian
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 8:46 pm 
Post subject:

Walter was mentioned in dispatches in my latest PM book review "Aye Ready" which tells of Rangers players who served in 2 world wars. Walter never played for Rangers but was widely expected to sign for them at the end of the war, but was killed shortly before peace reigned.

It was a terrible wrong perpetrated by the Armed Forces, not just against Tull but against all ethnic minorities who fought for the British in both wars.
Texas Rangers

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 11:59 am 
Post subject:

Auchinleckian wrote:
Walter was mentioned in dispatches in my latest PM book review "Aye Ready" which tells of Rangers players who served in 2 world wars. Walter never played for Rangers but was widely expected to sign for them at the end of the war, but was killed shortly before peace reigned.

It was a terrible wrong perpetrated by the Armed Forces, not just against Tull but against all ethnic minorities who fought for the British in both wars.

It seems there is a bit of a gap on what actually was the case regarding Rangers.

Some reports suggested he was on Rangers radar, had been talked to and was expected to sign after the war. At least two, the Daily Record and perhaps a more reputable one below, stating he had signed in 1914, gone to war and of course sadly never came back.

Regardless, the treatment he received was reflective of a time best left in history. In a more enlightened time, the wrongs should be righted.

Rangers played Spurs in 2004 for the Walter Tull Memorial Cup winning 2-0.

https://books.google.com/books?id=3NIqBwAAQBAJ&pg=PA195&lpg=PA195&dq=glasgow+rangers+signed+the+first+coloured+officer+in+the+army&source=bl&ots=e9oYr1IJB6&sig=lLREwVnSTAhcVLq0lYBZl2OZ8z8&hl=en&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwirxYq3pofaAhXK34MKHRwSAYEQ6AEwCHoECAYQAQ#v=onepage&q=glasgow%20rangers%20signed%20the%20first%20coloured%20officer%20in%20the%20army&f=false
| More
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Anything Goes Chit Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: