Football Programmes Centre

Forum Auction Today March 22nd
AlbumAlbum   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   My Wants ListMy Wants List   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Forum Auction Today March 22nd
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Upcoming Sporting Auctions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dorking

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 9:28 am 
Post subject:

It's all guesswork really but wasn't there a Sunderland fan on here (or was it Middlesbrough?? - can't remember and no offence intended) who bought an 1800's programme a couple of years ago for about £4k?
Rocky

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 10:18 am 
Post subject:

WHU2711 wrote:
I wonder what the Sunderland, Boro and Forest fans value these at?

I’m unsure what to value the Boro one at. There aren’t many programmes featuring Boro from the 1800’s who were an amateur club at the time. The sheet v Corinthians lists a number of Boro’s 1895 amateur cup winning team. The question arises, how much would these have raised if they had been in a more higher profile auction?
Sherlock

Dorking wrote:
It's all guesswork really but wasn't there a Sunderland fan on here (or was it Middlesbrough?? - can't remember and no offence intended) who bought an 1800's programme a couple of years ago for about £4k?

Was it a Sunderland programme that raised 4k? I think Wullie may have highlighted it at the time. There were also a couple of Middlesbrough Ironopolis aways that surfaced which may have raised circa 4k.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/187311548@N07/albums

https://www.flickr.com/photos/117760314@N07/albums
Dorking

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 2:26 pm 
Post subject:

[quote="Rocky"]
WHU2711 wrote:
The question arises, how much would these have raised if they had been in a more higher profile auction?
Sherlock

^This. Not sour grapes in any way from me as well above my budget, nevertheless had Sportingold or Graham Budd been involved I would like to think they would have all gone for double. Pure guesswork by the way, but just my gut feeling/opinion
Fishy

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 5:37 pm 
Post subject:

More Info:
J.H.Gettins was playing for Millwall at that time (1894-1905).

The programme would have sat nicely in my collection................. if only!
48/9 Newport.
49/0 Walsall; Exeter.
50/1 Port Vale.
51/2 Port Vale 1/5.
52/3 Swindon.
manchesterunitedman1

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 7:27 pm 
Post subject:

[quote="Dorking"]
Rocky wrote:
WHU2711 wrote:
The question arises, how much would these have raised if they had been in a more higher profile auction?
Sherlock

^This. Not sour grapes in any way from me as well above my budget, nevertheless had Sportingold or Graham Budd been involved I would like to think they would have all gone for double. Pure guesswork by the way, but just my gut feeling/opinion

I would certainly agree with that for sure!.

Wave

To see 19,900++ original items relating to Newton Heath & Manchester Utd 1878-2023 then visit www.flickr.com/photos/manchesterunitedman1/sets to see entire uploads.

1000's more images to be uploaded, to view the latest uploads go to www.flickr.com/photos/manchesterunitedman1/

Click any images 21 MILLION views to date to the Flickr site since 2007 growing every day. New Uploads weekly. Thank You to one & all for visiting!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
paulobee

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 12:21 pm 
Post subject:

Fishy wrote:
More Info:
J.H.Gettins was playing for Millwall at that time (1894-1905).

The programme would have sat nicely in my collection................. if only!

He also appeared frequently for Brentford FC too, during the same period, but the early years.

Many amateur players went and played for several Clubs during this time,

Joseph Gettins being one; Brentford, Millwall, Middlesbrough and Corinthians.

Gettins, and his "college mates" from Borough Road College, was partly responsible for Brentford's nickname. "Buck up you B's" was the shout. The local papers in Middlesex interpreted it as; "Buck up you Bees!" It stuck. This could also be a reference to the Borough Road College coat of arms too, as they include a bee hive and bees. Smile
| More
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Upcoming Sporting Auctions All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: