Football Programmes Centre

Ebay watchers
AlbumAlbum   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   My Wants ListMy Wants List   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Ebay watchers
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Anything Goes Chit Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tynie Topics

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 7:24 pm 
Post subject:

Eck wrote:

i'm giving a middle finger to watchers who want a late steal.

You're wasting people's time.

As plenty others have said, start it at the minimum you'll accept, or place a reserve on it, or list it BIN.

List, end early, List, end early, List, end early Confused

Last edited by Tynie Topics on Tue Mar 20, 2018 9:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
Dorking

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 7:31 pm 
Post subject:

19 watchers, you would have got multiple bids pretty much all in the last few minutes. But you'll never know
Eck

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 7:38 pm 
Post subject:

Maybe, but if it's listed at 50 and all late bids what's the chances of it hitting a ton?
Dorking

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 7:58 pm 
Post subject:

Start it at a ton and you won't get less than you'd accept
mdjw_41

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 7:59 pm 
Post subject:

Pete’s Picture Palace wrote:
mdjw_41 wrote:
I certainly find the point of starting an auction early, then ending it prematurely, rather odd. I sometimes find you have an item with a lot of watchers and it disappointingly doesn't do anything, other times you only need two and you may have a bidding war.

I have two examples recently. I sold a Portsmouth v West Brom ticket from the 60's. Listed at £5 and it attracted 8 watchers by the time the final day came round, but it had only moved to £6.50. I thought it would be one of those items where it doesn't move, but in the last minute it moved up to £28 so more than pleased with that.

I recently posted a Chelsea team photo on this website too. Pete kindly suggested that the photo ought to be worth in the region of £10-£20. As it had come out of a box I hadn't looked in for many years, that seemed a good price so I listed the item on eBay at £7.50, bearing in mind Pete's advice. It attracted a couple of watchers and an immediate bid. At the same time, the person who bid wrote to me through eBay, saying he'd pay £50 if I ended the auction early. As he had placed a bid, and as eBay are more keen on this sort of thing now, I couldn't end the auction early to accept his offer, so had to cross my fingers that the item would increase in value. A few more days passed and another watcher, I think it went to 4 in total and the photo slowly went up to about £20, then £30. Still at this stage I had no way of ending the item early. The leading bidder then made a bid, suggesting he had increased a maximum bid. In the last few seconds, someone must have put in a huge bid as it went in one go up to its final sale price of £182!! Shocked

I coudln't believe it, but by letting the auctions run the item comes to its natural value.

Blimey, what does that Pete bloke know, eh? Incredible! Get My Coat

Ha you know plenty! I’d have been happy at £20! We joked about the Bonetti collectors but that’s the only reason I have for that price. The end value was what it went to in one go from about £30. I do wonder what the winner actually put in as his figure!
TheSorter!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 8:00 pm 
Post subject: ebay watchers

If you list an item at the very minimum price you'll take for it then you've nothing to lose. I find in my experience of selling on Ebay most people bid in the last few minutes. I certainly do if I'm bidding on something!
Auchinleckian
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 9:15 pm 
Post subject:

Eck, if that's the case you should put a higher minimum bid on it, or a BIN price. All the auctions I've had on ebay over the eyars 90% of those that have attracted laregr than normal bids all come in the last 10 seconds, that's how the system works.

I've lost some good stuff by waiting for that to happen, not much,but if nobody wanted it I'd probably thought it worth more than it got.
sharrowblade
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 1:07 am 
Post subject:

Am I the only one really confused by all of this Confused
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
slightfold

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 10:55 am 
Post subject:

If you go back to the core of this, Ebay watchers they are really an irrelevancy IMO.They are like tyre kickers! Surely it's buyers we are interested as sellers! It is not unlike selling a house, you only need one buyer. You either gamble and let the market find its price maybe with a minimum reserve to protect the price, or you set a fixed price a bit over what you want with offers invited, and maybe accept a slightly lower amount which is often how it works when a selling a house, simples.
hibernian

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 12:38 pm 
Post subject:

slightfold wrote:
If you go back to the core of this, Ebay watchers they are really an irrelevancy IMO.They are like tyre kickers! Surely it's buyers we are interested as sellers! It is not unlike selling a house, you only need one buyer. You either gamble and let the market find its price maybe with a minimum reserve to protect the price, or you set a fixed price a bit over what you want with offers invited, and maybe accept a slightly lower amount which is often how it works when a selling a house, simples.

I think you can take a hit in extra fees if you set a reserve. if somebody does buy then its around 4% more that eBay will charge if I recall correctly. That is why I have never used the reserve price option.
se20blue

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 1:01 pm 
Post subject:

You pay Ebay the reserve cost (4%?) if the item is sold or NOT
hibernian

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 3:30 pm 
Post subject:

se20blue wrote:
You pay Ebay the reserve cost (4%?) if the item is sold or NOT

Thats even worse then !! Smile
yachtsmun

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 4:26 pm 
Post subject:

Hi all. Been a while (long story), but...

On this topic, around 13 years ago when I got back from my travels I needed to raise a bit of cash so put a handful of decent items up on ebay.

One was a car boot find of a tournament prog from 1966 played in Hong Kong, featuring Sheffield Wednesday, Fulham, Hong Kong and the Chinese national team. Had never seen it listed anywhere so thought it would get a decent price (anything upwards of £100 I'd have been happy with).

With about 30 mins to go it was sat at about £120, so I was happy enough. When I checked after auction end the final price was £947. It had gone from c.£300 to £947 in the last 12 seconds. Turns out there were two Sheffield Weds collectors who both put in last-gasp 'win at all cost' bids.

(I'm glad they did Smile )
se20blue

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 5:07 pm 
Post subject:

Welcome back Toby,
another one returns to the fold.
Ann Orack

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 6:43 pm 
Post subject:

Quote:
Turns out there were two Sheffield Weds collectors who both put in last-gasp 'win at all cost' bids.

I agree I was silly in those days. The good news is when I sold my collection shortly after that I didn't lose money on that programme. I met the under-bidder the day after your auction and he was delighted when he thought he'd won at £920 ish until he realised he'd actually lost it! The good news is he didn't know what my top bid was. Shocked

Those were the days when your ebay name was shown after each bid and it was never wise to play your hand too early

By the way good luck to you Yachtsmun with the price you achieved.
TheMusic

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 9:29 pm 
Post subject:

That's a remarkable price and shows just what eBay is capable of. I found that exact programme around 15-20 years ago and sold it in Programme Monthly for around 100 pounds, which I thought was good at the time - a pity I didn't hold on to it!
yachtsmun

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 12:19 am 
Post subject:

Ann Orack wrote:

I agree I was silly in those days. The good news is when I sold my collection shortly after that I didn't lose money on that programme. I met the under-bidder the day after your auction and he was delighted when he thought he'd won at £920 ish until he realised he'd actually lost it! The good news is he didn't know what my top bid was. Shocked

Those were the days when your ebay name was shown after each bid and it was never wise to play your hand too early

By the way good luck to you Yachtsmun with the price you achieved.

I wondered if either of the bidders might be on here! Well, thanks again for the high bid Mr Orack, and glad you didn't lose out on it when you sold up. In my mind I've offset lots of Cowes prog purchases over the years against that sale, but in truth the money got gobbled up by debts within a few weeks. Doubt I'll ever have another sale quite like that one Thumbs Up
holtie96

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 2:36 pm 
Post subject: eBay

I think the case for not pulling your programme early was proved correct with your Gothenburg programme doubling in value on the last day and I also note the time for the final bids wasn't ideal either at 3pm in the afternoon when people are at work. Pleased though Eck that you got a fair price Thumbs Up
ToffeeDan

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 10:47 am 
Post subject:

two hours.. got nowhere

Please help

TRYING to list multiple variations on obey.. for my friend (you may have seen the listings here). So, yes, I can enter fixed price different seasons, but how on earth do you list variations e.g. same season different opponent. I've spent two hours trying to work out what to do.

a) what automatic and manual combination changes mean
b) why I just can't add another row of the same, after all, as their help page says, you can sell different sized socks and different colours (all at different prices I'm sure) so what the hell am I missing..

PLEASE PLEASE HELP before I give up the will to live _ and yes, I've seen other people's listings on this theme.. do I have to do it on the custom line (for the seasons) and make it up.
| More
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Anything Goes Chit Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: