Football Programmes Centre

Ebay watchers
AlbumAlbum   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   My Wants ListMy Wants List   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Ebay watchers
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Anything Goes Chit Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rocky

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 10:32 am 
Post subject:

littlewiggy wrote:
I understand what Eck is saying I think, in that if he lists his item starting at the lowest amount he will accept (be it £100/£200), then it's likely to deter buyers from getting interested. We've all been involved in auctions that start ridiculously low, and the thought of getting a bargain snares your interest - so much so that we then get carried away and end up bidding far in excess of what we originally intended.
... a prime example of that is as per my post. There are no bids on the one starting at £375 yet. It will be interesting to see if it sells.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/187311548@N07/albums

https://www.flickr.com/photos/117760314@N07/albums
Eck

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 10:49 am 
Post subject:

I don't sell on ebay very often and i'm only doing so now to get best prices for a contact who is executor to her cousin's estate.
If there is an item I am after I put a bid in and come back to it later to follow up.
A buyer has the choice to follow up or leave an auction but I will pull an item that isn't attracting bids.
3 of these definitely will get bids the other although worth more than the opening price has maybe got too high a start price to attract bids.
goonerboy

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 11:14 am 
Post subject:

Sadly as everybody has commented already the number of watchers is no indicator of eventual bidders. Also ebay is a variable place. I put up up a ticket for £10 a few months ago which didn't sell so i then sold it privately. Last week I saw a ticket from same match go for more than £40. On eBay timing is everything.

Regards selling strategies if I have a valuable item I pretty much always put it up as a buy it now at the price I want then you cut out the vagaries of waiting for bids.

Sometimes if I think it could attract more interest then I put it up at a premium but accept offers. Sometimes somebody just buys it as they can't be bothered with haggling and other times I get offers and end up with what I originally wanted and the buyer feels good as he thinks he has negotiated me down. All round win win.

I wouldn't pull an auction because after a while people stop trusting you. Most people only bid within last 24 hours. After all if an auction is stated to finish at a certain time then it means you can bid up to that time.
hibernian

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 11:43 am 
Post subject:

I have previously listed a few very rare programmes with a start price which I considered was realistic. Some sold, some didn't .
Point being, my idea of a realistic price may be unrealistic to a potential buyer.
I will probably relist some with a slightly lower start price and if they still don't sell then BIN is the next option.
Timing is important but there are no guarantees on eBay.
It is a tricky one Eck
TheMusic

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 12:40 pm 
Post subject:

I don't understand how thinking one can pull an auction after a few days really protects one from giving away a bargain - surely if an item is listed at a low price and attracts a bid early on, there is the real danger of there being no more bids and the item still going for that low price (assuimng the seller won't pull the item once a bid is made as Eck said he wouldn't)..
Eck

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 12:49 pm 
Post subject:

TheMusic wrote:
I don't understand how thinking one can pull an auction after a few days really protects one from giving away a bargain

Because timing is a big factor, an item can bomb one week and go through the roof the next.
AJLFC85

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 1:35 pm 
Post subject:

I would recommend listing as a buy it now at a higher price then you want with the best offer option. I have this in my shop and always achieve a figure I'm happy with and most of the time it sells at the buy it now price without an offer to haggle. It may cost a bit more and take a bit longer to sell but if you factor this in you'll still achieve the figure your happy with.
TheMusic

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 2:08 pm 
Post subject:

@ Eck, that doesn't answer the question once an item is listed and attracts an early bid. What does one do if the auction enters its final hours and still only has one low bid?
Baltimore

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 6:44 pm 
Post subject:

Do forum members think that ebay should allow vendors to know who is watching their items?

It wouldn’t do any harm would it?
Eck

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 8:20 pm 
Post subject:

TheMusic wrote:
@ Eck, that doesn't answer the question once an item is listed and attracts an early bid. What does one do if the auction enters its final hours and still only has one low bid?

It still might bomb but the bidder has made sure it will go the distance.
As you know, once a bid has been made, ebay will push it.
rob71

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 8:29 pm 
Post subject:

I have sold a number of items on ebay that have seen 2 or 3 bids in the last few minutes. An auction can be very unpredictable and sometimes you can get stung with an item selling for less than you expect. I would agree with the suggestion to go for BIN at a higher price with offers, that way it will either sell for an acceptable price or not sell and you can look at other options.
1980Cossie

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 1:50 am 
Post subject:

Baltimore wrote:
Do forum members think that ebay should allow vendors to know who is watching their items?

It wouldn’t do any harm would it?

If you wanted to know how many watches are on a certain item then this is a good site to use.

http://www.watchcount.com/?cc=UK
Jamesy1926

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 11:18 pm 
Post subject:

I’m always watching about 60/70 items but tend to put the ones I reallly want into the basket (if they’re buy it now) and make a mass purchase if I sell something else or it’s payday!

If it’s something I really want I’ll put in 4/5 bids early to make others bidders think it’s an auction with a lot of interest. Not convinced it works but I’ve had a few bargains doing this although it’s probably coincidence!
mdjw_41

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 4:37 pm 
Post subject:

I certainly find the point of starting an auction early, then ending it prematurely, rather odd. I sometimes find you have an item with a lot of watchers and it disappointingly doesn't do anything, other times you only need two and you may have a bidding war.

I have two examples recently. I sold a Portsmouth v West Brom ticket from the 60's. Listed at £5 and it attracted 8 watchers by the time the final day came round, but it had only moved to £6.50. I thought it would be one of those items where it doesn't move, but in the last minute it moved up to £28 so more than pleased with that.

I recently posted a Chelsea team photo on this website too. Pete kindly suggested that the photo ought to be worth in the region of £10-£20. As it had come out of a box I hadn't looked in for many years, that seemed a good price so I listed the item on eBay at £7.50, bearing in mind Pete's advice. It attracted a couple of watchers and an immediate bid. At the same time, the person who bid wrote to me through eBay, saying he'd pay £50 if I ended the auction early. As he had placed a bid, and as eBay are more keen on this sort of thing now, I couldn't end the auction early to accept his offer, so had to cross my fingers that the item would increase in value. A few more days passed and another watcher, I think it went to 4 in total and the photo slowly went up to about £20, then £30. Still at this stage I had no way of ending the item early. The leading bidder then made a bid, suggesting he had increased a maximum bid. In the last few seconds, someone must have put in a huge bid as it went in one go up to its final sale price of £182!! Shocked

I coudln't believe it, but by letting the auctions run the item comes to its natural value.
Pete’s Picture Palace
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 5:45 pm 
Post subject:

mdjw_41 wrote:
I certainly find the point of starting an auction early, then ending it prematurely, rather odd. I sometimes find you have an item with a lot of watchers and it disappointingly doesn't do anything, other times you only need two and you may have a bidding war.

I have two examples recently. I sold a Portsmouth v West Brom ticket from the 60's. Listed at £5 and it attracted 8 watchers by the time the final day came round, but it had only moved to £6.50. I thought it would be one of those items where it doesn't move, but in the last minute it moved up to £28 so more than pleased with that.

I recently posted a Chelsea team photo on this website too. Pete kindly suggested that the photo ought to be worth in the region of £10-£20. As it had come out of a box I hadn't looked in for many years, that seemed a good price so I listed the item on eBay at £7.50, bearing in mind Pete's advice. It attracted a couple of watchers and an immediate bid. At the same time, the person who bid wrote to me through eBay, saying he'd pay £50 if I ended the auction early. As he had placed a bid, and as eBay are more keen on this sort of thing now, I couldn't end the auction early to accept his offer, so had to cross my fingers that the item would increase in value. A few more days passed and another watcher, I think it went to 4 in total and the photo slowly went up to about £20, then £30. Still at this stage I had no way of ending the item early. The leading bidder then made a bid, suggesting he had increased a maximum bid. In the last few seconds, someone must have put in a huge bid as it went in one go up to its final sale price of £182!! Shocked

I coudln't believe it, but by letting the auctions run the item comes to its natural value.

Blimey, what does that Pete bloke know, eh? Incredible! Get My Coat
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
Eck

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 5:57 pm 
Post subject:

If it was the case that an item left to run will find it's true value then how come there can be a huge gulf in what similar items sell for?
Timing is a factor, there is no denying it, if I believe an item isn't going to go well at that time, I will take it down and relist another time or find another avenue to sell, that makes perfect sense to me. The Rangers v Aberdeen programme from 1947 had 19 watchers, no bids after 5 days, i'll try again another time.
TheSorter!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 6:20 pm 
Post subject: ebay watchers

I sold an item last night that was standing at £38 with 5 minutes to go. It sold for £60! Very Happy
Tynie Topics

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 6:25 pm 
Post subject:

Eck wrote:
If it was the case that an item left to run will find it's true value then how come there can be a huge gulf in what similar items sell for?
Timing is a factor, there is no denying it, if I believe an item isn't going to go well at that time, I will take it down and relist another time or find another avenue to sell, that makes perfect sense to me. The Rangers v Aberdeen programme from 1947 had 19 watchers, no bids after 5 days, i'll try again another time.

Maybe 5 of those watchers were prepared to bid in the closing minutes? how will you ever know if you keep ending the item early? it makes no sense.
WHU2711

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 6:29 pm 
Post subject:

mdjw_41 wrote:

I have ended early at times through EBAY in this example if he bids £7.50 but says he will give you £50 you end the item and sell it to him then when sending the invoice put £42.50 in the charges cell, invoice is now £50 and EBAY gets their fees so no issue.
I only mention this to prove if ever you want to do it there will be no repercussions from them
Eck

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 6:50 pm 
Post subject:

Tynie Topics wrote:
Eck wrote:

Maybe 5 of those watchers were prepared to bid in the closing minutes? how will you ever know if you keep ending the item early? it makes no sense.

I don't keep ending items early, i'm just not taking a chance on this item, i'm leaving the other 4 to finish, never mind what if, i'm not taking a chance on it. It only takes a bid to keep the auction going but i'm giving a middle finger to watchers who want a late steal.
| More
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Anything Goes Chit Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: