Football Programmes Centre

Dulwich Hamlet - the disgrace continues
AlbumAlbum   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   My Wants ListMy Wants List   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Dulwich Hamlet - the disgrace continues

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Anything Goes Chit Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pete’s Picture Palace
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 11:53 am 
Post subject: Dulwich Hamlet - the disgrace continues

So not only have the new landowners (MEADOW) of this old club (125 years old) evicted the club from their old ground, Champion Hill, now they have got a subsidiary company (GREENDALES IP LLC) to register "Dulwich Hamlet", "DHFC" and "The Hamlet" as trademarks and thus have forbidden the club from using their own name on any literature, advertising and anywhere online.

I believe that Rio Ferdinand and others offered to buy the ground for £10m (it's one of the clubs local to where he was brought up), but that offer was rejected.

Of course, MEADOW say they are innocent and Hamlet owe them money - well they would, wouldn't they?

I don't know the legal in's and out's but thought some of you might like to be made aware of this disgraceful situation at one of our oldest and most iconic non-league clubs.

You can follow The Hamlet here on Twitter if you wish

https://twitter.com/DulwichHamletFC
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
slightfold

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 12:50 pm 
Post subject:

The ground would make a cracking housing development, I do wonder if that is anything to do with it! There is further info on the situation in the Guardian today which can be read online. We can only hope that such an historic team are not forced out of their home.
littlewiggy

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 2:30 pm 
Post subject:

Disgusting situation, and one that's all too familiar with non league clubs who are ripe to be fleeced.

I never had the pleasure of visiting the old Champion Hill, which I believe boasted a better grandstand than a lot of Football League clubs at the time.
I did see County play Fisher Athletic at the new stadium though and it's a super little ground, very well appointed with a great clubhouse overlooking the pitch at the top of the stand.

It's almost identical in layout & nature to Staines' new ground not a million miles away, a very decent grandstand opposite a tidy covered terrace, with both ends behind the goals open.

Reading about the antics of the landowners reminds me of when a certain Spice Girl tried to ban Peterborough United from using their age-old moniker of "Posh."

The audacity of such people never fails to astound.

Really hope DHFC come out of this ok.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/newport-county-badges/albums
Auchinleckian
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 5:02 pm 
Post subject:

Victoria Bechham was laughed out of court when she tried to put a similar injunction on Peterborough for having the cheek to sue the term "Posh" as their nickname, despite them being around long before she was even a twinkle in her daddy's eye. I expect the same will happen here.

Millwall are facing similar demands, also well documented in the Guardian, and I suppose it'll be an endless procession of such claims as land gets ever more valuable in the Greater London area.
Pete’s Picture Palace
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 2:27 am 
Post subject:

If anyone's interested, there's a new campaign group set up

www.savedulwichhamlet.org.uk/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
Auchinleckian
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 9:15 am 
Post subject:

Have circulated that. Hope they give the arses exactly what they deserve eventually.
Pete’s Picture Palace
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 8:24 pm 
Post subject:

Well done to #DulwichHamlet local rivals Tooting & Mitcham United who've offered #DHFC or #TheHamlet a home for the season. Proving there's rivalry, not hatred, in local football.

Easy Clap
Auchinleckian
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 10:08 pm 
Post subject:

Would also probably be a very good financial arrangement for them as well given the hugely differing size of crowds. Every cloud and all that....
Pete’s Picture Palace
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 11:27 pm 
Post subject:

Yes, true, but it's not every smaller neighbour who tries to help their larger one.
Flaming Pie

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 11:33 am 
Post subject: Dulwich Hamlet

Just been reading about the Youth Academy at Tranmere Rovers having to close through lack of funds.Over the years, players such as Jason Koumas, Alan Rogers, John McGreal, Ryan Taylor and Clint Hill have all come through the ranks at Prenton Park. Surely Rovers nearby neighbours, Everton and Liverpool, could have worked out a deal with Tranmere to keep it going? The article states that Brentford and Huddersfield have also closed their academies as well. A Tranmere statement said " the richest clubs have the financial resources to cherry pick the best talent around the country cheaply and stockpile them in the hope that one or two make it all the way to the first team". Is this really progress?
Wullie

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 8:37 pm 
Post subject:

With the insane price of housing in London and the outer parts , i am surprised non league football still exists in the area. Along with pubs , school playing fields etc, i would thought they'll soon all vanish in the name of much needed "affordable " housing. The joke being "affordable" which probably means a studio for half a million with sky high ground rent.
sharrowblade
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 11:18 pm 
Post subject: Re: Dulwich Hamlet

Flaming Pie wrote:
Just been reading about the Youth Academy at Tranmere Rovers having to close through lack of funds.Over the years, players such as Jason Koumas, Alan Rogers, John McGreal, Ryan Taylor and Clint Hill have all come through the ranks at Prenton Park. Surely Rovers nearby neighbours, Everton and Liverpool, could have worked out a deal with Tranmere to keep it going? The article states that Brentford and Huddersfield have also closed their academies as well. A Tranmere statement said " the richest clubs have the financial resources to cherry pick the best talent around the country cheaply and stockpile them in the hope that one or two make it all the way to the first team". Is this really progress?

No its not progress...but under the current system fully understandable. When the English Premier League Clubs 'forced' for want of a better word the EFL Clubs to sign the current deal with regards to Academies the die was cast. Money talks, it doesn't pay for EFL clubs at Categories 2 and 3 to have them anymore, more and more of them feel if they do unearth an outstanding talent, they know the parents and player will receive a financial inducement, one that they cannot compete with, and will now receive minimal compensation for their time and effort.

There is one premier League Club up here, who have changed the landscape with increasing aggression over the years. I've known 8 year olds being offered Monthly expenses of four figures to go there.

I also know that the same club had gone to parents houses when they found out they were to sign for their near neighbours and offer to sign them without ever seeing them play. And lets not be niave they're not doing that without offereing something in return.

So I fully understand Tranmere not bothering, along with Huddersfield and Brentford, you might as well pick up the premier League rejects at 17. More will follow suit, make no mistake.
GrestytheLion

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 11:56 pm 
Post subject:

Really good interview on the Non league Podcast this week regarding Dulwich Hamlet

https://audioboom.com/channel/thenonleagueshow
Pete’s Picture Palace
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 7:26 pm 
Post subject:

How brilliant that this proud club should be promoted to the Vanarama South today. Playing at nearby Tooting & Mitcham's ground (and a big shout-out to that club too), over 3,000 were present at today's play off against Hendon which Hamlet won on penalties.

But the disgrace continues. There is no end in sight to the greed of the money-grabbing landowners.

Anyway, well done to all at the Hamlet!! Easy
derby1884
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 10:45 pm 
Post subject:

Further down the pyramid but along the same lines - owners of the ground the club were using want to turn it into shops.

Three years in a rown they've earned promotion and had to turn it down. That's rough.

https://nonleague.pitchero.com/headlines/bicester-forced-turn-promotion/
| More
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Anything Goes Chit Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: