Football Programmes Centre

AFBC
AlbumAlbum   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   My Wants ListMy Wants List   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
AFBC

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Badge Collectors Section
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TSavage

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 10:41 am 
Post subject: AFBC

I contacted the AFBC regarding membership and to also get a copy of the catalogue so I can index badges against the catalogue, however they don’t have any left.

Anyone not using theirs that I could purchase?

Thanks
GrestytheLion

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 11:24 am 
Post subject:

They are like the holy grail, if you come across a member that has one of the directories, there are several, maybe offer to photocopy, I'm after some myself and they never turn up.

If it's non league badges Terrys Badges website is an excellent location for grading some non league where he has them for sale, shows the picture and references the AFBC directory number. Limited but worthwhile.
bee007

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 11:45 am 

I was once a member of the AFBC when I first started collecting Badges. I purchased a catalogue back in 2000, and then added a few extras as they produced update sheets. I only carried on until about 2003/4. Recently, through boredom, I decided to scan the entire Catalogue onto my Laptop and put it into different folders. I would be quite happy to send out my Catalogue to anyone who would like to copy it, and if there are a couple of people interested it could be sent on from one person to the next. Contact me if anyone is interested. P.S. I would eventually like it back once every one has finished.
Fishy

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 12:51 pm 
Post subject:

Interesting post chaps.

Badges (Millwall) are just a sideline to my collection so I didn't know about the AFBC until today.

Bee07 I would certainly be interested in seeing the pages covering Millwall badges if possible - assuming that they are listed by club.............

If not, would you be happy to transfer your scans on to disc and send it out for the appropriate recompense?

Cheers
Ian
48/9 Newport.
49/0 Walsall; Exeter.
50/1 Port Vale.
51/2 Port Vale 1/5.
52/3 Swindon.
littlewiggy

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 1:30 pm 
Post subject:

Very kind offer by Bee, and typical of him, he's a great guy.

I've never bothered joining the AFBC, I never saw the point really. Pre internet days most definitely, but nowadays I don't really see any benefit in buying what appears from the outside to be a rather expensive circular once a month.

I'm happy to soak up information & knowledge like a sponge as I go along, it's what keeps the hobby interesting for me - plus there are more rare badges available on the net than you can shake a wobbly stick at.

As for making contacts and the like, there seems no better place than forums like these and through the transactions you make.

So am I missing something, is there something else it offers?

I first learned about the AFBC about fifteen or so years ago, and the catalogues were sold out & rare back then - which begs the question, why have they never produced more?

Is it just laziness or did Keith want them to be highly sought??

It always seemed madness to me, because obtaining the index catalogue is probably the only thing that may have enticed me to join up (& many others no doubt).

https://www.flickr.com/photos/newport-county-badges/albums
GrestytheLion

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 3:07 pm 
Post subject:

Bee that is a kind offer, would love a copy to whatever method suits, paper or disk or happy to send you a memory stick.

Wiggy I am a member, joined in recent years so missed out on the directories. It's a tough one for what it gives, my knowledge, support, assistance, contacts has been immense, is it worth what I pay, that's for me to decide each year.

Forums like this are great but my love is badges, posters, boxing etc and hasn't been programmes for many a year. I have nothing but admiration for the knowledge parted on here, the dedication to collecting and on balance get from this what I do from the AFBC contacts but of course this gives me football which I love.
TSavage

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 3:57 pm 
Post subject:

Littlewiggy - I agree with your comments as I haven’t joined because of there not being any catalogues available - incredibly kind offer from bee which I hope I can take up in whatever form.

Thanks
Fishy

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 4:18 pm 
Post subject:

bee007 you are a star!

Thank you for your help. Clap Clap Clap
48/9 Newport.
49/0 Walsall; Exeter.
50/1 Port Vale.
51/2 Port Vale 1/5.
52/3 Swindon.
littlewiggy

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 4:22 pm 
Post subject:

GrestytheLion wrote:
Bee that is a kind offer, would love a copy to whatever method suits, paper or disk or happy to send you a memory stick.

Wiggy I am a member, joined in recent years so missed out on the directories. It's a tough one for what it gives, my knowledge, support, assistance, contacts has been immense, is it worth what I pay, that's for me to decide each year.

Forums like this are great but my love is badges, posters, boxing etc and hasn't been programmes for many a year. I have nothing but admiration for the knowledge parted on here, the dedication to collecting and on balance get from this what I do from the AFBC contacts but of course this gives me football which I love.

That's a very decent insight Gresty, and I guess it's obvious being a member provides something I'm not seeing, otherwise the club wouldn't have the longevity it enjoys.

Maybe it's because I'm a typical "budget collector" - i.e. it isn't terribly often I have big bucks to spend on a badge, so instead I spend my time trawling for bargains which I must admit, gives me great pleasure. I love the hunting and the learning, almost as much as I love the badges themselves.

Also, being on a budget, my thinking was one of whatever monies I don't spend on joining clubs, is another nice badge or two for my stash.

Like you, I too fell out of love with programmes buddy. I hit the wall in what I could obtain within my means, and my interest quickly waned as a result. I don't see that happening with badges as there are just so many out there that are achievable for a lad like me.

The collecting bug stays with you forever I think, it's just we sometimes change direction.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/newport-county-badges/albums
bee007

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 5:07 pm 

Back in the day when this Catalogue was produced, it was a great source of knowledge to see who and what had been produced. If for eg, a Barnet Badge was for sale, you could instantly identify which one, and whether it was one you needed or wanted, rather than just buying blind only to find out it was one you already had. I would be interested to know how many update sheets have been done since the mid 80's, and if they are still available.
Maidonian

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 7:48 pm 
Post subject:

Unfortunately I think the waters were sadly muddied by the vast number of official + unofficial badges being produced, particularly in the last five years or so, which had made maintaining an “official” record impossible.

I know exactly what badges have been officially manufactured for my own club, Maidenhead United, and also which badges have been made “unofficially” in the past few years, examples of which turn up time and time again with the buyer(s) unaware of the fact that the badge has actually never been sanctioned/procured by the club.

Years ago, you used to notify Keith and inevitably he'd mention it in the Newsletter and it would be allocated a reference number. I would have said that was impossible now and has been for some time.

BTW, if anyone does have a M8 or M9, please get in touch
Wink
Dorking

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 8:55 pm 
Post subject:

I used to have a directory, cost a fair bit a was tons of photocopied pages. Was nice to look through but in reality I only wanted to collect Palace badges,so aside from knowing what was meant by 'CP1' or 'CP15' for example it was a bit of a waste of money for me.

Threw it away years ago when ebay really got going. The AFBCis a noble idea but really I suits people who think nothing of travelling a couple of hours to get to badge sales/'meets'

The newsletters were an amusing read, those organising it regularly got vexed that the rest of the membership didn't contribute articles enough!

Glad its still going though, there's a lot of love for 'proper' badges there, even if it was a regular source of argument/debate as to what qualified as 'official' LOL
bee007

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2018 9:34 pm 
Post subject: Re: AFBC

TSavage wrote:
I contacted the AFBC regarding membership and to also get a copy of the catalogue so I can index badges against the catalogue, however they don’t have any left.

Anyone not using theirs that I could purchase?

Thanks

PM's sent. Please reply to either bee007 or moonlight dribbler.
| More
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Badge Collectors Section All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: