Football Programmes Centre

Mystery photo - Scottish connection?
AlbumAlbum   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   My Wants ListMy Wants List   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Mystery photo - Scottish connection?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Shirt Collecting/Other Football Memorabilia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pete’s Picture Palace
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 3:55 pm 
Post subject: Mystery photo - Scottish connection?

Right, the one just now was far too easy, so this is an 'A' level question for you all.

This was among a batch of Bobby Campbell (Falkirk, Chelsea & Scotland, just post WW2) photos I got in the week. Campbell appears in every photo in the batch so he's in this somewhere, I'd guess he's furthest away in a white shirt as he was a right winger and the whites are attacking.

The photo is stamped "Ministry of Information" so I reckon it's some sort of representative game, possibly at the end of the war. But that is a guess as there's no other info on the back. I'm also guessing it's in Scotland due to Campbell's presence but I may be miles out on that. I'm also wondering if the keeper could be Jimmy Cowan (Morton & Scotland)?

As regards venue, it looks like a Leitch stand but I don't think it's Hampden or Ibrox. It's a puzzle and I'm flummoxed. Can anyone help, please?

The keeper

The pair on right with interesting badges

All help gratefully received as always. Thank you Sherlock
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
Pete’s Picture Palace
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 12:01 am 
Post subject:

Right, I have it on very good authority that this photo is from the following match:-

Northern Command v Scottish Command, Elland Road Leeds, 21.2.1942.

Northern players (white): L to R:- Aubrey Powell (Leeds); Jack Balmer (Liverpool); Jackie Robinson (Sheff Weds).

Scottish players (dark): L to R:- Johnny Lynch (Dundee keeper); Alexander Winning (Clyde & Rangers); Jimmy Carabine (Third Lanark).

Bobby Campbell, then of Falkirk, played in this game but was not in shot - nor was Matt Busby who was at right half for the Scots.

Result: 1-1 Att: 8,500.

Sherlock (There are some very knowledgeable people around!)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
| More
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Shirt Collecting/Other Football Memorabilia All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: