Football Programmes Centre

Overcharging on eBay postage
AlbumAlbum   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   My Wants ListMy Wants List   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Overcharging on eBay postage

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Anything Goes Chit Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wdy11

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 6:34 pm 
Post subject: Overcharging on eBay postage

Hi Guys,

Bought a programme on eBay for £65. Postage stated £7.50 Special Delivery which was fine, but it was posted 1st Recorded @ Just over £2. What do people usually do when this happens?

Do I complain?

Thoughts?

Chris
sbs1trg

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 6:45 pm 
Post subject:

I don’t get too worried about it - so long as it’s transparent when bidding; I tend to look at the overall cost and bid accordingly. I think the distinction between “postage” and “the price” became very blurred when eBay decided to charge fees on postage.

Also worth remembering that postage could legitimately include packaging plus ~14% when all fees considered. Though I dont think that closes the whole gap in the example you gave!
Eck

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 7:45 pm 
Post subject:

I hate sellers bumping the price up by charging excessive postage, last week I was charged £3.40 for a 2nd class stamp, a 99p programme as well. Left positive feedback but a 1 star for postage.
Leigh Treymaine

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 8:01 pm 
Post subject: OVERCHARGING ON EBAY.

Get in touch and tell him you would like the difference refunded.
Auchinleckian
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 8:22 pm 
Post subject:

I am always critical if I don't get what I paid for. By not providing the service you pay for they are being fraudulent. Also, paying for special delivery of a £60 plus programme gives you certain assurances should it get lost in the post which you don't get with recorded delivery.

Always ask for the money to be paid back.
roughyedz

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 1:55 am 
Post subject:

Auchinleckian wrote:
I am always critical if I don't get what I paid for. By not providing the service you pay for they are being fraudulent. Also, paying for special delivery of a £60 plus programme gives you certain assurances should it get lost in the post which you don't get with recorded delivery.

Always ask for the money to be paid back.

as wq3we aqll know y7ou only have to say its not delivered and E-Bay stael the money off the seller and give it back to buyer , so actually no difference E-Bay wise between Special Delivery or Recorded, either buyer gets full refund any problems and seller loses out, and with all the posties at times forging a signature and either pushing through ther door \\\\\\( or NOT ) as the case may be
bobholl29

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 10:00 am 
Post subject:

I sell on eBay, and part of the problem is eBay charge on postage. They charge ,12% of postal fees (Inc 20% VAT) and PayPal charge 3%. I normally charge £1 for small letter and £1.40-£1.60 for large letters to 250 g. The price also includes cost of packaging materials.
Just to make matters worse there is a Royal Mail price increase coming next month

Last edited by bobholl29 on Fri Feb 23, 2018 10:10 am; edited 1 time in total
Five and In

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 10:02 am 
Post subject: Overcharging on eBay postage

I always factor the postage cost into my highest bidding price so I don't end up paying more than I would be prepared to and once I have decided what my maximum is, I don't think about it.

That said, if the postage turns out to be sent at a much lesser service than advertised as in wdy11's case, I would definitely be asking the question of the seller. After all, you have paid £7.50 and received a £2 service which has not given that extra protection.
It could also be a genuine error by the seller, so worth contacting him.
Tintowner

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 12:22 pm 
Post subject:

How would you feel if you purchased an 80s prog and was charged for recorded delivery........ and it coming in an A4 board backed envelope with a normal 1st class stamp on it....along with the insufficient postage sticker and extra fee to pay Shocked Shocked

The seller said that he had took it to the post office and told them that he wanted recorded delivery and they had put a 1st class stamp on it. Sherlock

Has anybody else got any 'good excuses' stories?
Westbourne

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 1:19 pm 
Post subject:

Hats off to anyone on ebay who gives free postage as the posting fee selling fees listing fees paypal fees and stationary all add up.
People on here moan about Bob Frank and Elvis but they give a first class service considering their overheads.. Clap Clap Clap
albion99

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 2:18 pm 
Post subject: Overcharging on Ebay postage.

To date, I have sold 50 programmes on Ebay.

My sales started in February 2015 since when sales have varied between several hundred pounds and a couple of pounds.

When it comes to charging postage I have never been able to get it spot on for a number of reasons, I can assure readers that my postage costs paid far exceed what buyers have paid to me!

What I have learnt and only recently is the importance of protecting what I post both in terms of its safe arrival with the buyer and it being sufficiently well protected by the Royal Mail compensation scheme.

Neither buyer or seller wants to lose out!

I am through reading of others experiences on here beginning to take the view that all or any of the programmes I sell will have to be signed for on arrival, which will involve additional cost to the buyer.

In this day and age with post and packing costs rising, I have no problems with sellers covering their expenses, including the journey to the post office.

Expensive programmes purchased from me have always been covered more than sufficiently to cover any loss to the buyer or myself, and it has always been me that has born the additional cost.

My preferred postage charge is £2.40 = Royal Mail Signed for 250g and compensation up to £50.00 in the event of loss.

Current Royal Mail compensation for £500 & £1000 costs £6.45 or £7.45 for 100g Special Delivery Guaranteed by 1pm next day, service I have used several times with the buyer more often then not paying only £1.75

If and I admit to having on occasion sent a programme on my preferred service for £1.75 because weight and size permits, I will be 65 pence better off.

Let me reiterate, that is not often the case, and I do appreciate some of the instances quoted by members on here are pounds not pence which might grate with me if I was on the receiving end of an over inflated post and packing charge.

No doubt we are far from the end of this subject and the buyer before paying, can always ask the seller exactly what they are going to get for that postage charge before paying the bill?

I will continue being happy with £2.40, until that expected price rise!
roughyedz

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 3:55 pm 
Post subject: Re: Overcharging on Ebay postage.

albion99 wrote:
To date, I have sold 50 programmes on Ebay.

My sales started in February 2015 since when sales have varied between several hundred pounds and a couple of pounds.

When it comes to charging postage I have never been able to get it spot on for a number of reasons, I can assure readers that my postage costs paid far exceed what buyers have paid to me!

What I have learnt and only recently is the importance of protecting what I post both in terms of its safe arrival with the buyer and it being sufficiently well protected by the Royal Mail compensation scheme.

Neither buyer or seller wants to lose out!

I am through reading of others experiences on here beginning to take the view that all or any of the programmes I sell will have to be signed for on arrival, which will involve additional cost to the buyer.

In this day and age with post and packing costs rising, I have no problems with sellers covering their expenses, including the journey to the post office.

Expensive programmes purchased from me have always been covered more than sufficiently to cover any loss to the buyer or myself, and it has always been me that has born the additional cost.

My preferred postage charge is £2.40 = Royal Mail Signed for 250g and compensation up to £50.00 in the event of loss.

Current Royal Mail compensation for £500 & £1000 costs £6.45 or £7.45 for 100g Special Delivery Guaranteed by 1pm next day, service I have used several times with the buyer more often then not paying only £1.75

If and I admit to having on occasion sent a programme on my preferred service for £1.75 because weight and size permits, I will be 65 pence better off.

Let me reiterate, that is not often the case, and I do appreciate some of the instances quoted by members on here are pounds not pence which might grate with me if I was on the receiving end of an over inflated post and packing charge.

No doubt we are far from the end of this subject and the buyer before paying, can always ask the seller exactly what they are going to get for that postage charge before paying the bill?

I will continue being happy with £2.40, until that expected price rise!

When was last time you tried to claim compensation for anything . . Lol . . Royal Mail use every excuse under the son NOT to pay you out and if they do as little as they can. . All that said they take ages to reply
Paul Johnson

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 7:30 pm 
Post subject:

i put the post in the price of the programme and list as post free. done this since someone complained i had overcharged him by 27p Sad
se20blue

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 7:45 pm 
Post subject:

Westbourne wrote:
Hats off to anyone on ebay who gives free postage as the posting fee selling fees listing fees paypal fees and stationary all add up.
People on here moan about Bob Frank and Elvis but they give a first class service considering their overheads.. Clap Clap Clap

Agreed but it is not free postage it is included in each programme,therefore someone buying a quantity will be worse off.
Westbourne

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 7:52 pm 
Post subject:

What do you mean included in the price. £2.99 post free for a £3.50 progrsmme and they pay all the fees well chuffed...
Ronsaunders

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 12:21 pm 
Post subject:

Westbourne wrote:

I've never had reason to complain about the service from BF&E. I think that most people just get a bit fed up with the constant re-listing of the likes of mid 70's Villa programmes with the token removed and folded for £2.99 clogging up their searches.
se20blue

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 12:41 pm 
Post subject:

Ronsaunders wrote:
Westbourne wrote:

I've never had reason to complain about the service from BF&E. I think that most people just get a bit fed up with the constant re-listing of the likes of mid 70's Villa programmes with the token removed and folded for £2.99 clogging up their searches.

illustrates my point,
a programme that should cost no more than £1.50 + postage
| More
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Anything Goes Chit Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: