Football Programmes Centre

Well I never! £485 for a 1965 Charity Shield Ticket at Man U
AlbumAlbum   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   My Wants ListMy Wants List   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Well I never! £485 for a 1965 Charity Shield Ticket at Man U

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Anything Goes Chit Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
manchesterunitedman1

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 2:07 pm 
Post subject: Well I never! £485 for a 1965 Charity Shield Ticket at Man U

This ticket for the 1965 charity shield at MUFC v Liverpool has just sold for £485!

Yes it was for the Directors box but other than stating that on the ticket it is the same for the stands.

Now it does take a lot to get me

Shocked

ebay number 202224400695

Well now they say prices like this bring out others, I may well have to speak to the 2 underbidders as I have "one or two tucked away"!!

To see 19,900++ original items relating to Newton Heath & Manchester Utd 1878-2023 then visit www.flickr.com/photos/manchesterunitedman1/sets to see entire uploads.

1000's more images to be uploaded, to view the latest uploads go to www.flickr.com/photos/manchesterunitedman1/

Click any images 21 MILLION views to date to the Flickr site since 2007 growing every day. New Uploads weekly. Thank You to one & all for visiting!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
TheMusic

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 2:22 pm 
Post subject:

Re: the seller, I'd never come across her/him/them before a few years ago on eBay, but they have huge feedback and have listed lots of items in the past. Did anyone know this dealer in pre-internet days or is there a different story, e.g. disposing of a family member's enormous collection... etc, etc?
manchesterunitedman1

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 3:16 pm 
Post subject:

TheMusic wrote:
Re: the seller, I'd never come across her/him/them before a few years ago on eBay, but they have huge feedback and have listed lots of items in the past. Did anyone know this dealer in pre-internet days or is there a different story, e.g. disposing of a family member's enormous collection... etc, etc?

I know the seller, he must be pissing himself at the price-if you would have offered him 50-80 quid beforehand he probably would have taken it.

He buys loads of stuff does house clearances has people all over the country bringing him stuff every week, he and his mrs work very hard. Many a time I have said that is a crackpot price you need to start it at x or y and he like any good business man listens and is not unwilling to accept free advise.

He will not understand how he has gotten so much! but now every 1960's United ticket he gets he will be rubbing his hands with glee!
good luck to him I say.

15 years ago I was working one day in West Yorkshire, I came home, had my evening meal and went to look on ebay-i saw an item for sale from this seller, I sent him a message and asked him as it was an ex-United player did he have anything else. He said yes he has another 20-30 items that are not listed on ebay so I asked him if we can do a deal for them and I shot back to West Yorkshire and we did a deal for it all and of course I asked him about the item on ebay that was a tenner with no bids and 2 watchers and he had it on since half 8 that morning, so I made him an offer which was not a million miles away from the ticket he just sold and of course he accepted and we were both happy.

Since that time I have purchased the odd item now and again but he has never had anything like that lot which I am very pleased to say I still have and we both did well that night, he told me years later he had gotten it all for next to nothing and I said and I have always maintained that has got nothing to do with me, I know what I am willing to offer and I am ok with that.

Not so long ago I met up with a forum member as we had done something off ebay, I knew he had a particular item that missed out on 25 years ago but it was never for sale. Recently I asked the question and the usual No was this time a maybe. Anyway, after some further discussions we reached an agreement and he said to me did it stick in my craw that you nearly had it all that time ago and now it is going to cost considerably more and I said No not at all for two reasons, one is that what you paid is nothing to do with me but more importantly this item has such importance that when I had to sell all my stuff in 2000 this would have gone and been lost, so although I am having to pay a market value that has gone through the absolute roof since then I was still happy to go ahead and complete the purchase.

Oh and No I am not willing to say what it is at the moment, nor to whom I was doing business with! as they say you will have to watch this space!

As a collector I was once asked if you could be a sportsman who would you be and why and I chose Geoffrey Boycott.

His style of play was always for the long game, he played for his team and as one of the openers he had to make sure that he and his partner gave the side a good grounding in each innings, his style was slow and laborious, hardly ever exciting to watch but he gathered his runs in ones and two's carefully and would not look to take risks when there was no need, if you wanted a whizz bang big hitter Yorkshire had a few of those who would follow Geoffrey but whilst at the crease he was concentration personified and when he was given out was a complete Bastard in the dressing rooms-well I aint ever gonna be as good as he was but I have patience and like to think I am organised and know what I want but accept that it will not always come my way but tomorrow is another day and none of us know what is around the collecting corner let alone what life holds for us all, so enjoy what you do and if it makes you happy do it!

Wave Wave

Manners rant will have to wait for another day!

To see 19,900++ original items relating to Newton Heath & Manchester Utd 1878-2023 then visit www.flickr.com/photos/manchesterunitedman1/sets to see entire uploads.

1000's more images to be uploaded, to view the latest uploads go to www.flickr.com/photos/manchesterunitedman1/

Click any images 21 MILLION views to date to the Flickr site since 2007 growing every day. New Uploads weekly. Thank You to one & all for visiting!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
TheMusic

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 3:36 pm 
Post subject:

Very interesting to read all of that, Leslie. On your mention of something sticking in your craw (or not as here), there must be some things that are frustrating for all of us. I'm trying to get hold of an item that I've wanted for a long time to complete a section of my collection. I first saw it on eBay four years ago but someone got talking to me just as it entered its final seconds and it was gone.

Last year, I was offered the exact same item by the winning bidder who was selling up and of course I said I'll have it. He said fine, he'd reserve it for me while we sorted prices for other things I wanted but then silence. I chased him up and he said he'd had a change of heart - that the date of the item was his dad's 70th birthday and his dad had asked if he could have it instead. Fair enough, I thought - sometimes there are more important things at play, so imagine my surprise the very next week when a fellow collector tells me he's just bought a nice item, yes, the very same (I asked him to send me a photo to check)!

Now I'm trying to do an exchange which would knock one or two meatier items off my contact's wants list, but it may not happen at all since obviously said item would then be back on his list too. Should I feel bad, angry, disappointed, let down, despairing? Possibly but it isn't going to help so you just try to move on!

On another topic, it's quite something to realise there are still cracing items/collections emerging from house clearances nowadays when hundreds of dealers and collectors have been trying for 60 years to track down this type of stuff... there's still hope then! Sherlock Laughing
mdjw_41

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 5:55 pm 
Post subject:

I have heard of this ticket being valuable. The man who runs the programme shop next to Sheffield Wednesday was quite pleased to discover he found one amongst programmes purchased and told us about its value being in this range.
garyspain

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 12:05 am 
Post subject:

A London based dealer who is often on here is no doubt happy this item fetched a little more than his £9.99 start price.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Jeunesse-v-Spartak-Moscow-Russia-European-Cup-1980-1/312057780692?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

I'm guessing the buyer was Russian.
Cantona93

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 8:54 pm 
Post subject: Re: Well I never! £485 for a 1965 Charity Shield Ticket at M

manchesterunitedman1 wrote:
This ticket for the 1965 charity shield at MUFC v Liverpool has just sold for £485!

Yes it was for the Directors box but other than stating that on the ticket it is the same for the stands.

Shocked

ebay number 202224400695

Well now they say prices like this bring out others, I may well have to speak to the 2 underbidders as I have "one or two tucked away"!!

Do I detect a hint of smugness Leslie?
manchesterunitedman1

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 6:01 pm 
Post subject: Re: Well I never! £485 for a 1965 Charity Shield Ticket at M

Cantona93 wrote:
manchesterunitedman1 wrote:

Shocked

ebay number 202224400695

Do I detect a hint of smugness Leslie?

Nope, unlike a lot of others I have never needed or have been smug.
I was buying tickets 20 years before most others even thought about it & who were all obsessed with programmes as nothing else mattered.

I have a few spares from this match just as I have from Sarajevo and a few other tuff ones-that is not being smug Gary that is down to looking around with a wide angle lens attitude for a lot of years, just as you came to me for confirmation that the few thousand quid you spent last year on a programme was not a fake by comparing to my original-I do not recall being called smug then?.

If there any serious Manchester City, Wolves, Newcastle United, Sunderland, Sheffield Wednesday, Liverpool , Everton, Aston Villa, Barnsley collectors interested in Pre-WWI items[not involving MUFC] just send me an email.

| More
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Anything Goes Chit Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: