Football Programmes Centre

Brazil national team autographs... but from when exactly???
AlbumAlbum   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   My Wants ListMy Wants List   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Brazil national team autographs... but from when exactly???

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Autograph Collectors Section
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TheMusic

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 12:31 am 
Post subject: Brazil national team autographs... but from when exactly???

Hi All,

I have a press photo of Hungary scoring against Brazil in the 1954 World Cup with 16 Brazilian signatures on the back. The problem is some of the names I can make out seem not to correspond with the familiar names of the Brazil squad. There's a case to be made for it being from the 1954, 1958 (there being a certain Pelé Silva there which could be one of his very early signatures) or even 1962 World Cups, or none of them and instead from a different event. Can anyone help me shed any light on this please?

Thank you in advance! Sherlock

Five and In

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 9:35 am 
Post subject: Brazil national team autographs... but from when exactly???

This one is confusing Music.
As you say, some of the names did not play for Brazil at the same times.

Joao Pinheiro, Carlos Castilho, Ecurinho and Veludo (if I've read it correctly) were around in 1954 - 1956, but Paulinho did not play until 1957 for the first team and Ecurinho and Vveludo were no longer around.

Coming away from World Cups, could it be an under 23 (or the like) squad that have signed it or maybe a Copa America squad?

Sherlock
Flaming Pie

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:22 am 
Post subject: Brazil national team autographs

Could there be a link with the 1960 Olympic Games in ltaly? Brazil sent a team. Sometimes ,when the opportunity presents itself, you get whatever comes to hand signed. I remember seeing a 1969 Prince Charles lnvestiture at Caernarfon brochure signed by John Lennon. The story was someone bumped into John in a cafe down South, and the brochure was the only thing they had in the car for him to sign.
TheMusic

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 7:43 pm 
Post subject:

Thanks so far, guys. One thing I need to clear up is the Pelé Silva signature - is this his signature as a 16/17 year-old before he became world-famous as just Pelé? Has anyone got or seen any of his really early signatures?
Flaming Pie

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 8:28 pm 
Post subject: Brazil national team autographs

I think in the late 1950's early 1960s Pele was still signing his full name,,Edson Arantes do Nascimento,,. I remember someone selling the England v Brazil programme ( 1963?) and one of the selling points was that Pele had signed his full name.l don't think Pele even played in the match, but he was in the squad. If Didi has signed your photo, full name Waldyr Pereira ,l think that would make it very collectable. He is regarded as one the greatest midfielders who ever lived.
TheMusic

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 9:46 pm 
Post subject:

Funnily enough, I have two Brazil photos for sale on eBay at the moment, both signed Waldyr Pereira 'Didi' above his image as part of the team lineup before the Battle of Berne in 1954. There are three other autos on each of the photos - Castilho, Nilton Santos and Pinheiro.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/162911388184?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1558.l2649

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/162911396066?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1558.l2649
| More
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Autograph Collectors Section All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: