Football Programmes Centre

The well done Newport County thread!!!!!!!!!!!
AlbumAlbum   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   My Wants ListMy Wants List   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
The well done Newport County thread!!!!!!!!!!!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Anything Goes Chit Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
littlewiggy

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 8:58 pm 
Post subject:

derby1884 wrote:
How would Pocche...Poce....Poche,,,,oh, to hell with it, the current Spurs manager cope with the mud on the Swindon Town pitch back in February of 1970?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tjkv_G2g8T8

Indeed Steve, I also remember Jim Melrose (I think?) memorably "scoring" for Man City on the Maine Road winter pitch.

He nipped in like a true predator, danced around the goalie, and coolly rolled the ball towards the empty net before wheeling away in gleeful celebration ... only for the ball to stick in the mud on the wrong side of the goal line!

Classic.

Very Happy

https://www.flickr.com/photos/newport-county-badges/albums
Westbourne

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 11:54 pm 
Post subject:

Good effort Newport
Five and In

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 8:10 am 
Post subject:

[quote="littlewiggy"]
derby1884 wrote:

Indeed Steve, I also remember Jim Melrose (I think?) memorably "scoring" for Man City on the Maine Road winter pitch.

He nipped in like a true predator, danced around the goalie, and coolly rolled the ball towards the empty net before wheeling away in gleeful celebration ... only for the ball to stick in the mud on the wrong side of the goal line!

Classic.

Very Happy

I was at Craven Cottage one day when Peter Taylor of Spurs did exactly the same Wiggy!!
Flaming Pie

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 3:13 pm 
Post subject: the well done Newport

Sorry for mentioning this again, but take a look at Tranmere v Chelsea FA Cup Jan 1963 there's a few minutes of it on youtube. I was there. That sandy pitch at Rochdale would have been a luxury to those lads.Johnny King picked up an injury in the early stages.No subs in those days , so he played the rest of the game with his leg in a plaster cast! Dave Hickson then decided to pick up the Chelsea centre-half ( Mortimer) and throw him head first into an igloo that someone had built on the pitch.Those were the days!
littlewiggy

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 3:47 pm 
Post subject:

[quote="Five and In"]
littlewiggy wrote:
derby1884 wrote:

Classic.

Very Happy

I was at Craven Cottage one day when Peter Taylor of Spurs did exactly the same Wiggy!!

Very Happy

Lol, it's not something I've seen, but I did see my boyhood hero Tommy Tynan score twice in a game from back-passes that stuck in the mud.
Once was unfortunate, but twice was just plain darned carelessness!

League champions were proper champions in those days weren't they, they had to prove they could do it on every kind of surface.

Of course those were the twee days when managers and players won titles, as opposed to Oligarchs, and Oil Sheikhs.

PS. Still laughing at Pie's description of poor Johnny King playing in a plaster cast!! Must check that out.

Laughing Laughing

Flaming Pie

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 5:31 pm 
Post subject: The well done Newport

Games played in the fog used to be interesting Wiggy. I recall being at Goodison, probably 1964-65. Everton playing Villa.Standing behind the goal, you could only see as far as the half -way line but the game carried on. There was a game at Anfield when someone scored for Liverpool at The Kop end. This was in thick fog.Those at the other end chanted who scored? Roger Hunt the Kop chanted in responce. How about the time Shankly, away at a very foggy Ajax, was wandering around in the Liverpool penalty area trying to organise the Reds defence. l think Ajax were something like 5-0 up at the time.
littlewiggy

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 8:47 pm 
Post subject: Re: The well done Newport

Flaming Pie wrote:
Games played in the fog used to be interesting Wiggy. I recall being at Goodison, probably 1964-65. Everton playing Villa.Standing behind the goal, you could only see as far as the half -way line but the game carried on. There was a game at Anfield when someone scored for Liverpool at The Kop end. This was in thick fog.Those at the other end chanted who scored? Roger Hunt the Kop chanted in responce. How about the time Shankly, away at a very foggy Ajax, was wandering around in the Liverpool penalty area trying to organise the Reds defence. l think Ajax were something like 5-0 up at the time.

Yes, lol, great story Pie. I remember reading about Shanks saying how incompetent / corrupt that ref was at Ajax. He said something like ... "He never had a bloody clue what was going on ... I was on the pitch most of the second half and he never knew."

Very Happy

| More
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Anything Goes Chit Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: