Football Programmes Centre

EBAY BUYER TO AVOID
AlbumAlbum   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   My Wants ListMy Wants List   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
EBAY BUYER TO AVOID
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Anything Goes Chit Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Five and In

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 7:16 pm 
Post subject: EBAY BUYER TO AVOID

Wullie wrote:
I am selling an item at the moment and to be honest it's going for a much higher price than expected. I placed a very large photo of both sides. I wrote condition as in photographs. I also list No returns in my profile. So if anyone complains they can bugger off.

I understand what you are saying Wullie, but that wouldn't have helped me with my subbuteo team as it left me perfect and came back missing bits.
I have no issue with returns (to be fair I have very, very few), but obviously expect the item to come back as it was sent.
littlewiggy

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 7:25 pm 
Post subject:

No wonder folk turn all vigilante.

You should never take the law into your own hands, say the powers that be, who then proceed to do bugger all to protect you from shysters.

The shysters in this case being eBay IMO who are equally, if not even more culpable.

Only a doormat would play fair with a company that operates like that.
Everybody else should rightly look to stiff them at every oppo.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/newport-county-badges/albums
das

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 8:28 pm 
Post subject:

Wullie wrote:
I am selling an item at the moment and to be honest it's going for a much higher price than expected. I placed a very large photo of both sides. I wrote condition as in photographs. I also list No returns in my profile. So if anyone complains they can bugger off.

In ebay world no returns means nothing if they claim item not as described.

Also photographs mean nothing as there is no proof that is the one you sent. And if they send you back something entirely different you lose again as there is no proof that is what they sent back.

The best anyone can hope for is claiming abuse of buyer protection but in general ebay don't care as long as they get their cut.
And their opinion is that if we don't like it then go somewhere else.
Auchinleckian
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 8:58 pm 
Post subject:

I would seriously consider going through the small claims court with this. A company like ebay aren't going to send legal bodies down to a pokey wee small town court to defend what are in effect pennies to them. If I remember rightly if they don't show the court automatically award in your favour.
bluejames

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 10:42 pm 
Post subject:

i suggest you refuse to deal with ebay
Thy seem notorious for this even though they charge a large fee
Might you not be better with auction houses?
They charge similar or less fees and take all the responsibility
Wullie

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 6:29 am 
Post subject:

bluejames wrote:

Really ? One auction house took 100 percent fees, robbed people out of £1000s and the culprit walked away untouched.
Ebay fees are about 10 percent for sellers and zero for buyers so i'm not sure where you get your information from. The problem is not eBay as such . It's the half a percent thieving general public you sadly come across from time to time.
Five and In

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 8:47 am 

bluejames wrote:

To be honest, that would be cutting my nose off to spite my face.

In the last twelve months I have sold over 4,000 low value items through Ebay.
Two items worth a fiver or so were lost in the post and a couple of shirts were returned as the buyer purchased the wrong size.
I take that as a really good strike rate.

This incident with the Subbuteo team has occurred as I unknowingly dealt with a thief.
True, Ebay have washed their hands of it, but looking at the bigger picture it's little more than a blip.

With the volume of items I sell on Ebay it would be impossible to go down the auction house route and far more aggravation and time consuming than how I do things at present.
Also once I have made the original sale to a buyer on Ebay, I then hope that our future business is through direct contact which is how it has worked out on many occasions.

Finally, my original post was to warn other members of the thief that I had encountered in the hope that they didn't suffer the same fate.

Last edited by Five and In on Mon Jan 22, 2018 9:01 am; edited 1 time in total
Five and In

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 8:55 am 

Auchinleckian wrote:
I would seriously consider going through the small claims court with this. A company like ebay aren't going to send legal bodies down to a pokey wee small town court to defend what are in effect pennies to them. If I remember rightly if they don't show the court automatically award in your favour.

While I take your point Auchinleckian, it's not a path I want to follow with this.
Many, many years ago, I took a TV Repair Shop to the small claims court.
(This is the very short version)
My £400 TV they had destroyed by dropping it, was ruled as a £100 "win" for me by the court. It then took around six months for them to pay me, including going back to court.
My revenge was served as a cold dish one night when on the way home from a Spurs match a few months later, I put the TV shop's window through with a brick.
Not the best way to handle things, but very satisfying at the time.
littlewiggy

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 9:56 am 
Post subject: Re: EBAY BUYER TO AVOID

Five and In wrote:
Auchinleckian wrote:

While I take your point Auchinleckian, it's not a path I want to follow with this.
Many, many years ago, I took a TV Repair Shop to the small claims court.
(This is the very short version)
My £400 TV they had destroyed by dropping it, was ruled as a £100 "win" for me by the court. It then took around six months for them to pay me, including going back to court.
My revenge was served as a cold dish one night when on the way home from a Spurs match a few months later, I put the TV shop's window through with a brick.
Not the best way to handle things, but very satisfying at the time.

Lol, I'm not proud of it now I'm older & wiser Five, but I've never been one for involving (or trusting) the law either, always preferring to sort my own problems out. So that reminds me a bit of me mate, and needless to say, I've ended up the steps on more occasions than I care to admit - and written out enough cheques to "the clerk of justice" to have bought myself a fine collection!

It's like I tried to say in my earlier post though, if the law wasn't such an ass, folk wouldn't feel the need to go all vigilante.

Five and In

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 10:09 am 

littlewiggy wrote:

It's like I tried to say in my earlier post though, if the law wasn't such an ass, folk wouldn't feel the need to go all vigilante.

Fancy a road trip to Manchester Wiggy?
littlewiggy

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 10:19 am 
Post subject:

Laughing Laughing Laughing

Five and In

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 11:25 am 

I have a very unexpected update regarding the Subbuteo team and Ebay.
A lot of you will remember this, but if you don't, just read the top of this thread.

Seeing as the problem initially occurred nearly seven months ago, I had written this off as a bad experience.

Last week I had to call Ebay over a completely different subject and was put through to a member of their new concierge team for sellers like me who have anchor shops.
We got into chatting in general and I mentioned how disgusted I had been over the way this case had been handled by Ebay.
He took a quick look at the notes on their system, agreed with me and told me that my £30 would be refunded in a few days as it should have been at the time.
Today it has landed in my paypal account.

Hopefully Ebay are finally trying to address the balance between buyer and seller and are looking at the overall picture now rather than just turning a blind eye when sellers get shafted?
se20blue

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 12:48 pm 
Post subject:

Received from buyer

"Hi,I do not want this programme I did not order it my phone is playing up and it goes into a flashing mode next thing is it’s ordered and payed for the item on its own I’m sorry to waste your time but can you cancel the order thanks"
TheSorter!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 12:58 pm 
Post subject: ebay buyer

Hi se20, what's the buyer's Ebay username then I can block him?
Five and In

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 4:21 pm 

se20blue wrote:
Received from buyer

"Hi,I do not want this programme I did not order it my phone is playing up and it goes into a flashing mode next thing is it’s ordered and payed for the item on its own I’m sorry to waste your time but can you cancel the order thanks"

That's a new one!!
I wonder if the dog ate his homework too Laughing
Stourbridge Lion

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 9:03 pm 
Post subject:

I have actually purchased a CD before while my phone has been in my pocket and I've been out and about,first I knew about it was when I saw the email saying congratulations,seriously it can happen It was an item I had been watching on EBay a buy it now and I must have left it on that page and my pocket movements did the rest,thankfully it wasn't an expensive purchase and something I wanted anyway!
se20blue

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 9:17 pm 
Post subject:

Was your phone able to enter your PayPal password ?
Stourbridge Lion

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 9:24 pm 
Post subject:

I've got the EBay app on my phone,just done a buy it now actually a programme and I don't have to enter any passwords to purchase,to be fair I can't remember if I actually paid for the item in my pocket as well or whether I had just committed to buy it.
cardiff55

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 1:47 pm 

Five and In wrote:
I have a very unexpected update regarding the Subbuteo team and Ebay.
A lot of you will remember this, but if you don't, just read the top of this thread.

Seeing as the problem initially occurred nearly seven months ago, I had written this off as a bad experience.

Last week I had to call Ebay over a completely different subject and was put through to a member of their new concierge team for sellers like me who have anchor shops.
We got into chatting in general and I mentioned how disgusted I had been over the way this case had been handled by Ebay.
He took a quick look at the notes on their system, agreed with me and told me that my £30 would be refunded in a few days as it should have been at the time.
Today it has landed in my paypal account.

Hopefully Ebay are finally trying to address the balance between buyer and seller and are looking at the overall picture now rather than just turning a blind eye when sellers get shafted?

I got involved with Subbuteo about 4 years ago, luckily I joined a local table football club who warned me about the sharks.

I've heard and seen complaints about programme sellers but Subbuteo takes it to a new level. From repainting common teams in to rare variations making massive profits etc. There are a few notorious sellers.

Also buyers in certain countries who almost always say the item has not arrived.

Describing items as excellent when they have broken legs , glues etc.

Also returning teams with different players from their spares to claim a refund.

I sold up and got out.
| More
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Anything Goes Chit Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: