Football Programmes Centre

Question for collectors
AlbumAlbum   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   My Wants ListMy Wants List   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Question for collectors
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Your Football Programme Collection
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jamesy1926

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 12:56 am 
Post subject: Question for collectors

If you won the lottery and basically had unlimited funds, would collecting be the same for you if money was no object?
littlewiggy

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 1:08 am 
Post subject:

If I had a pound for every time I've thought what I could collect with serious money Jamesy, I wouldn't need the Lotto! lol

I guess though, having unlimited funds would be a novelty that would soon wear thin - half the fun of collecting is getting something that you've wanted (& hunted) for ages, but never thought would be within your grasp (or price range).

So the sheer buzz when you do finally lay your mitts on it is a secret little moment of pure euphoria mate.

Only a moment though. Us collectors are so insatiable by nature, we're already half thinking about that next "must have" item we've also longed for.

Smile

https://www.flickr.com/photos/newport-county-badges/albums
Jamesy1926

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 1:17 am 
Post subject:

That’s my way of thinking, it’s digging around for deals and bargains that makes it worthwhile.
littlewiggy

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 1:25 am 
Post subject:

Agreed mate, the hunting and the thrill of the chase is all of the fun.

Trying to hold your nerve by bidding a measly bit more than the next guy with 5 seconds to go, knowing you can't afford to go any higher, worrying that the 'circle' will appear and delay your bid, or the internet connection might go down, and then that air-thumping moment when you've got jammy and pulled it off.

No fun in knowing you're going to blow everyone away no matter what they bid.

(I would imagine)

Eck

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 12:13 pm 
Post subject:

I would certainly start up my Rangers collection again.
Within two years I would be in the top division of Rangers collectors.
Smile
bee007

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 1:19 pm 
Post subject: Question for Collectors

A couple of years ago I came into a small amount of money unexpectedly, so I bought a lot of rare expensive Badges that I was after. Hopefully they will keep their value so when I decide to sell my collection, I will have a good pension. Now it is like Littlewiggy says, that the thrill is back to see if you have the nerve, or give in and just go for it.
cardiff55

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 7:44 pm 
Post subject:

I wouldn't buy anything extra. I'd be too busy having non-stop holidays (built around the fixture list of course).
Jamesy1926

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 2:52 pm 
Post subject:

Some interesting responses which mirror my thinking in terms of finding that elusive gem at a bargain price.

I love pottering around the Welsh League grounds and looking for the badges and programmes I need, a prime example was paying £2.50 for a Rhuthun badge at Aber on Saturday that had sold on ebay days before for £21.75.
derby1884
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 10:40 pm 
Post subject:

If Trevor Francis was the first million pound footballer, I could make 55/56 Barrow v Derby the first million pound programme!

I have occasionally wondered what the effect on the hobby would be if one - just one - of these £100k/week Premier League players developed an interest in it.
Dorking

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 11:08 pm 
Post subject:

We already have two people fighting over Peter Bonetti stuff for high prices.

What are the chances of that!

Over the years I have seen collectors come and go, who have big splurges for a couple of years, then fade out of it. They just blow everyone else out of the water to be honest and there is not much you can do! You just have to look harder and be quicker and better connected!
derby1884
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 12:53 am 
Post subject:

I have occasionally wondered what the effect on the hobby would be if one - just one - of these £100k/week Premier League players developed an interest in it.

Back in saner days, we had Jim Langley of Fulham who was a cigarette card collector and Billy Caskey of Derby who was an inveterate newspaper collector.

There was certainly at least one player in the 50s whose programme collecting enthusiasm earned him a mention in Football Monthly.

So it could happen!?
colchestersid

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 9:12 am 
Post subject:

derby1884 wrote:

Back in saner days, we had Jim Langley of Fulham who was a cigarette card collector and Billy Caskey of Derby who was an inveterate newspaper collector.

There was certainly at least one player in the 50s whose programme collecting enthusiasm earned him a mention in Football Monthly.

So it could happen!?

I'm sure I remember reading that George Graham was a serious collector of Arsenal programmes back when he was their manager. Anyone else able to confirm?
littlewiggy

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 9:49 am 
Post subject:

Many of the top Premiership players are keen collectors, it's pretty much common knowledge.

They tend to collect Ferraris & hookers.

overlap

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 9:55 am 
Post subject:

I'm sure I remember reading that George Graham was a serious collector of Arsenal programmes back when he was their manager. Anyone else able to confirm?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The only person I got a response from was George Graham, who also collects Arsenal memorabilia. I met him at a programme fair and he was a nice guy. I’ve been told he had a very good programme collection."

http://thearsenalcollective.co.....-1928.html
Auchinleckian
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 12:12 pm 
Post subject:

I remember talking to Duncan Mackenzie back in the 1980s when he paid a visit to Blundell Park and he was admiring our programme stock. He told us he had a lovely collection of early Manchester United programmes going back to the 1920s.
Flaming Pie

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 1:47 pm 
Post subject: Questions for collectors

I think l mentioned this before,, but David Fairclough of Liverpool fame had his collection of memorabilia dumped by his mother. I think it was when he left England to play abroad.Sadly, his mother decided to have a clear out while he was away.
manchesterunitedman1

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 2:11 pm 
Post subject:

littlewiggy wrote:
Many of the top Premiership players are keen collectors, it's pretty much common knowledge.

and watches Laughing

To see 19,900++ original items relating to Newton Heath & Manchester Utd 1878-2023 then visit www.flickr.com/photos/manchesterunitedman1/sets to see entire uploads.

1000's more images to be uploaded, to view the latest uploads go to www.flickr.com/photos/manchesterunitedman1/

Click any images 21 MILLION views to date to the Flickr site since 2007 growing every day. New Uploads weekly. Thank You to one & all for visiting!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
Dorking

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 2:12 pm 
Post subject:

I remember George Graham mentioning that he collected very old football postcards of clubs he had worked at
CanaryHonestMan

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 6:26 pm 
Post subject:

Leroy Lita, so I am told, collected shirts from all the clubs he played for, so when he was on loan at Norwich in 2008/9 spent a fortune in an eBay charity auction buying the one he played in against Doncaster because it was a one-off design to publicise local charity the Benjamin Foundation.
littlewiggy

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 6:46 pm 
Post subject:

manchesterunitedman1 wrote:
littlewiggy wrote:

and watches Laughing

Lol, and tattoos of course.

Smile

| More
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Your Football Programme Collection All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: