Football Programmes Centre

Following on from the Staceys post re: Credit Cards
AlbumAlbum   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   My Wants ListMy Wants List   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Following on from the Staceys post re: Credit Cards
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Upcoming Sporting Auctions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Westbourne

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:50 pm 
Post subject:

So if something sells for £100 the auction house gets £25 off the buyer and £25 off the seller Shocked
notreve

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 12:04 am 
Post subject:

It's not just auction houses who can charge- advertised on eBay p&p of £9.99 to post a single cigarette card!!! That's outrageous
Westbourne

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 12:35 am 
Post subject:

It's probley an error and should be opp. There has been a lot of price errors put on here from ebay and members are quick to pounce
se20blue

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 3:32 pm 
Post subject:

Latest Sportingold catalogue 26/1/2018 payment by credit card not available.
Tynie Topics

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 3:39 pm 
Post subject:

se20blue wrote:

Oh well, that's that then Get My Coat
RoddyN

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 3:58 pm 
Post subject: Following on from the Staceys post re: Credit Cards

PostPosted: 16 Jan 2018 20:50
Post subject: Reply with quote
So if something sells for £100 the auction house gets £25 off the buyer and £25 off the seller Shocked

This is not correct. The average football auction charges the buyer 20% (some slightly less some slightly more) so in your example the buyer pays £20 and if you sell the average football auction charges the seller 10% which means the seller gets charged £10. That is £30 not £50 a big difference. I presume you do not buy and sell at auctions.
Auchinleckian
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 4:52 pm 
Post subject:

Tynie Topics wrote:
se20blue wrote:

Oh well, that's that then Get My Coat

No difference my end. always pay by debit card anyway out of a football account I've had for over 30 years. That way I don't touch a penny in what's in the joint account, and there's never any debate about whether I can buy anything or not. I like that, although I fully understand those who do wish to pay by credit.
Tynie Topics

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 5:12 pm 
Post subject:

Auchinleckian wrote:

No difference my end. always pay by debit card anyway out of a football account I've had for over 30 years. That way I don't touch a penny in what's in the joint account, and there's never any debate about whether I can buy anything or not. I like that, although I fully understand those who do wish to pay by credit.

I rather enjoy the protection that paying by credit card affords me, particularly for high value items, or a combination of items. You don't have to look that far back to find auction houses that have failed.

I'm disappointed that these business who have done and continue to do well out of collectors are not prepared to absorb the 1.5%-3% fee they are charged by the credit card companies.
Dorking

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 10:03 pm 
Post subject:

se20blue wrote:

I'm not exactly a massive customer of theirs, but I won't be at all from now on Sad
New Forest

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 12:38 pm 
Post subject:

It seems to me that a lot of you are complaining about auction houses not accepting credit cards, If you have to live off credit then perhaps you should not be buying in the first place?

To arbitrarily say you won't be using Sportingoild is fine. They take cheques and will send items recorded delivery or To be signed for, so there's no problems there. Chris also has some tasty non-league items this month.
Tynie Topics

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 12:48 pm 
Post subject:

New Forest wrote:
It seems to me that a lot of you are complaining about auction houses not accepting credit cards, If you have to live off credit then perhaps you should not be buying in the first place?

No, it offers the buyers protection if things go wrong that a debit card, bank transfer or cash doesn't. It also provides an interest free period to pay it, and benefits such as airmiles every time you use it.

For me, it has nothing to do with living off credit, it's convenience and protection.
paulobee

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 1:34 pm 
Post subject:

New Forest wrote:

To arbitrarily say you won't be using Sportingoild is fine. They take cheques and will send items recorded delivery or To be signed for, so there's no problems there. Chris also has some tasty non-league items this month.

You obviously don't understand the usefulness of using a credit card as an insurance policy then? Don't jump to a conclusion - a cheap shot in fact - that people use credit cards because they can't afford something. Using a credit card for any purchase offers the purchaser peace of mind as it carries an insurnace policy.
New Forest

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 1:45 pm 
Post subject:

Don't try and tell me that whenever you use a credit card your first thought is 'your protected if something goes wrong'!

Secondly, if you use a credit card and spread the cost over several months you end up paying interest on that. Still nice to know you have protection. We will all now have to hope that if we win next Friday nothing gets lost.
manchesterunitedman1

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 1:48 pm 
Post subject: Re: Following on from the Staceys post re: Credit Cards

RoddyN wrote:
PostPosted: 16 Jan 2018 20:50
Post subject: Reply with quote

This is not correct. The average football auction charges the buyer 20% (some slightly less some slightly more) so in your example the buyer pays £20 and if you sell the average football auction charges the seller 10% which means the seller gets charged £10. That is £30 not £50 a big difference. I presume you do not buy and sell at auctions.

This may be a figure that you and your pals are receiving when selling but I would imagine the average man in the street does not get such a great deal with such a low figure.

"the average football auction charges the seller 10%"

In my experience to get a figure as low as 10% you will have to be putting in either a lot of stuff or single item/s with a very high value.

If there is any member on here who has sold at auction and for say items that are maybe just a £100 or a bit more overall value-you have paid a " tad" more than 10%, there is more chance in my opinion of Sanchez doing a second turn around and going to Chelsea today than any seller only paying an average of 10% when a buyer has to pay double as a minimum although there is no relevance to the question in hand, I am using it to show the vast gap between the 2 costs.

Wave

To see 19,900++ original items relating to Newton Heath & Manchester Utd 1878-2023 then visit www.flickr.com/photos/manchesterunitedman1/sets to see entire uploads.

1000's more images to be uploaded, to view the latest uploads go to www.flickr.com/photos/manchesterunitedman1/

Click any images 21 MILLION views to date to the Flickr site since 2007 growing every day. New Uploads weekly. Thank You to one & all for visiting!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
littlewiggy

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 2:30 pm 
Post subject:

Lol, if I only bought stuff when I could truly afford it, then I'd be able to fit my collection into a shoe box.

However, like my good pal Derby-Steve says, I'm quite happy to eat skinheads-on-a-raft for a week to procure something lovely.

That's the true buzz of collecting.

Smile

https://www.flickr.com/photos/newport-county-badges/albums
paulobee

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 4:07 pm 
Post subject:

New Forest wrote:
Don't try and tell me that whenever you use a credit card your first thought is 'your protected if something goes wrong'!

Secondly, if you use a credit card and spread the cost over several months you end up paying interest on that. Still nice to know you have protection. We will all now have to hope that if we win next Friday nothing gets lost.

I have a credit card/s so whatever I purchase is covered by them. Simple insurance policy, maybe you should read up on them before putting all and sundry in the same bracket.....

How others use their credit card is up to them.

You seem to think people use credit cards to run up a debt because they cannot afford something, this just shows you are very blinkered in your views.

I pay off my card/s every month. I don’t pay interest. Having a credit card also gives you a better credit rating.

If I buy anything from SG, I’ll pay by debit card now, from my account, just miss out on a bit of extra cover if something is lost.
Tynie Topics

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 4:18 pm 
Post subject:

New Forest wrote:

For many people, it's exactly that.

Quote:
Secondly, if you use a credit card and spread the cost over several months you end up paying interest on that.

Correct. If you have to pay £1,000 for an item and you take 12 months to pay it off, it would end up costing you something like £1,100 in total. Again for many, an acceptable way to obtain an item that may otherwise be out of their reach at a particular time.
RoddyN

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 4:24 pm 
Post subject: Following on from the Staceys post re: Credit Cards

This may be a figure that you and your pals are receiving when selling but I would imagine the average man in the street does not get such a great deal with such a low figure.

In my experience to get a figure as low as 10% you will have to be putting in either a lot of stuff or single item/s with a very high value.

If there is any member on here who has sold at auction and for say items that are maybe just a £100 or a bit more overall value-you have paid a " tad" more than 10%, there is more chance in my opinion of Sanchez doing a second turn around and going to Chelsea today than any seller only paying an average of 10% when a buyer has to pay double as a minimum although there is no relevance to the question in hand, I am using it to show the vast gap between the 2 costs.

I would suggest calling one of the leading Footballing Auction houses and you will find that "Favoured Nation Status" for reasonably active sellers or trade sellers is in fact in single figures and that 10% is the norm with perhaps the smaller items being charged at nearer 12%. I as a user of auctions mostly as a buyer would defend the auction houses right to charges at that level as they have considerable costs to run their businesses and why should they not put food on the table for their family. It is simple. If you do not like the extras calculate the nett price and if you don't like it don't buy it. There is no point in moaning about costs. All businesses have costs and charge accordingly. I am afraid it is a fact of life.
manchesterunitedman1

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 10:40 pm 
Post subject: Re: Following on from the Staceys post re: Credit Cards

[b]
RoddyN wrote:

I would suggest calling one of the leading Footballing Auction houses and you will find that "Favoured Nation Status" for reasonably active sellers or trade sellers is in fact in single figures and that 10% is the norm with perhaps the smaller items being charged at nearer 12%. I as a user of auctions mostly as a buyer would defend the auction houses right to charges at that level as they have considerable costs to run their businesses and why should they not put food on the table for their family. It is simple. If you do not like the extras calculate the nett price and if you don't like it don't buy it. There is no point in moaning about costs. All businesses have costs and charge accordingly. I am afraid it is a fact of life.

[b]What have you been taking this afternoon Robert??

You have written a whole monologue that has nothing to do with me, I only questioned the 10% you say is the norm which is in my opinion is totally incorrect.

If you are a regular seller/dealer then you would expect to get a lower consideration-that is not rocket science, but for the vast number of vendors who may be dipping their toe in the water or selling on odd occasions or just one off's-10% is not the average fee they will be charged.

As for anything else you have mentioned-as I have previously said address that to anyone else, because in the last 17 years I have spent a good deal more at Auctions than most folks and have no issues with fees.

This is the only reply I am making on the matter

Wave

To see 19,900++ original items relating to Newton Heath & Manchester Utd 1878-2023 then visit www.flickr.com/photos/manchesterunitedman1/sets to see entire uploads.

1000's more images to be uploaded, to view the latest uploads go to www.flickr.com/photos/manchesterunitedman1/

Click any images 21 MILLION views to date to the Flickr site since 2007 growing every day. New Uploads weekly. Thank You to one & all for visiting!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
Dorking

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 7:52 am 
Post subject:

Agree with littlewiggy.
If I only bought items when I had pre-saved the money, I would have missed out on some cracking items over the years.

As a collector / buyer, you never know when something really special is going to appear, when it does you have to go with your gut feeling. If that means reigning in your collecting for a few months while you catch up again financially, so be it.

Generally speaking, stuff I find on ebay usually is good enough for me, it is only if there is something very rare/special that I would buy through an auction house.

Very pleased about the protection that credit cards give though as I found out with my Monarch flights to Spain booked last year, refunded with no fuss whatsoever in just 10 days.
| More
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Upcoming Sporting Auctions All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: