Football Programmes Centre

Press photo - Brighton v Charlton undated - help needed
AlbumAlbum   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   My Wants ListMy Wants List   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Press photo - Brighton v Charlton undated - help needed

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Shirt Collecting/Other Football Memorabilia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pete’s Picture Palace
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 6:15 pm 
Post subject: Press photo - Brighton v Charlton undated - help needed

Got hold of this wonderful old photo today and although it carries a clear Daily Mail Copyright stamp on the back, it has no date and so I'm trying to work out when it might have taken place.

In pencil someone has written "Brighton v Charlton @ Brighton - Charlton back kicks clear" and beneath that the same hand has written "Russell". That could be the photographer, the writer, or perhaps, the back kicking clear.

In that period the 2 clubs only met in Division III South, and they played from 1921/2 to 1928/9. A bit later they paired up again in 1933/4 and 1934/5.

Looking at HFK, Charlton's socks (black with red tops) were used from 1922-27 though the site is blank for a few seasons after then. Brighton were in their usual striped kit for most of the 20's going into the 30's.

Of course I can't identify any players although there are good views of quite a few of them. Could one be called Russell?

Can anyone help me please?

All help gratefully received as always. Thank you.

Sherlock
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
martino

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 8:40 pm 
Post subject:

Not much help but I cannot find a Russell in the Charlton players for the 20's and 30's. Unfortunately I do not have any books on Brighton.
Pete’s Picture Palace
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 12:29 am 
Post subject:

Thanks Martino, it's a tough one to crack - I've stuck it on Twitter now to see what happens.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
AJLFC85

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 1:24 am 
Post subject:

I would say it's either from the 2nd April 1927 or 15 September 1928 game due to how light it is and all other games around this time would have been to dark?

Charlton player with back of his head looks a bit like Albert Langford who played left back so would be clearing the ball but he played 1929-1931 so probably wrong with that guess!

Pete’s Picture Palace
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 1:39 am 
Post subject:

Yes, re the date - the pitch looks pretty good so suggests early season.

Nearest the camera could be Langford - he's in the right place and the hair looks good - but perhaps he didn't play in that game.

For everyone's information, here are the dates of the Brighton v Charlton Div III South games:-

Charlton in Div II 1929/30-1932/3

Charlton back up to Div II again.

So maybe as AJLFC says, September 1928 could be the favourite!

Cheers!
| More
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Shirt Collecting/Other Football Memorabilia All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: