Football Programmes Centre

Aston Villa v Man Utd - 28/04/1965
AlbumAlbum   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   My Wants ListMy Wants List   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Aston Villa v Man Utd - 28/04/1965

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Queries About Football Programmes
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tansey16

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 5:00 pm 
Post subject: Aston Villa v Man Utd - 28/04/1965

I have recently come into possession of a few 1960's Aston Villa Home programmes which includes the 1964/65 game against Man Utd.

I just wondered if any Aston Villa / Man Utd collectors know if there has been a reproduction made of this programme. It seems appropraitely aged but the paper texture seems different from the other programmes which has got me wondering.

I thought a reproduction may have been produced as it was one of the last matches of a United Championship winning season. Any help would be appreciated!
atletico

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:41 pm 
Post subject:

My copy is also on different paper than other issues from this season.
I'm not aware of any reproductions.
My copy also has a slight vertical crease and team changes, this could indicate it was purchased at the game.
Stourbridge Lion

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 4:24 pm 
Post subject:

Yes I have got a couple copies of this programme and both are printed on glossy paper and I have thought myself in the past it could have been a repro,they are also glued together and not stapled which is unusual for programmes of this era,were other Villa programmes from this season stapled?
Footyfan

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:44 pm 
Post subject: PAPER QUALITY

I believe it was quite common in the 1950s/1960s to produce beter quality paper programmes for issue to Directors and Guests.

There is no readily apparent reason why anyone would do reperints for general league games.

See my earlier post on this subject.

http://www.footballprogrammecentre.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=27027

Last edited by Footyfan on Sat Jan 13, 2018 1:51 pm; edited 2 times in total
atletico

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 11:54 am 
Post subject:

Stourbridge Lion wrote:
Yes I have got a couple copies of this programme and both are printed on glossy paper and I have thought myself in the past it could have been a repro,they are also glued together and not stapled which is unusual for programmes of this era,were other Villa programmes from this season stapled?

Most Villa programmes from this season were glued.
4 or 5 programmes from March/April were stapled.
Ronsaunders

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 1:04 pm 
Post subject:

My copy of this is also noticeably better quality paper. I do not think that it's reprint although I can understand why you'd ask that.
tansey16

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 1:56 pm 
Post subject: Aston Villa v Man Utd - 28/04/1965

Thank you so much for your replies.

The responses all seem to suggest that their copy of this programme for this game is on a better quality of paper. So I will assume that the decision must have been taken by Villa to change paper quality for this match and the programme is not a reproduction.

I have come across post-1960 general league game programmes that have been reproduced. For instance, Forest v Orient 1975 and I think if memory serves Everton v Fulham 1963. There are reasons for this ie, Clough's first Forest game and Everton's Championship but thought United Championship win could have been a reason for a possible reproduction for this game.
Footyfan

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 6:42 pm 
Post subject: Re: Aston Villa v Man Utd - 28/04/1965

tansey16 wrote:
Thank you so much for your replies.

The responses all seem to suggest that their copy of this programme for this game is on a better quality of paper. So I will assume that the decision must have been taken by Villa to change paper quality for this match and the programme is not a reproduction.

I have come across post-1960 general league game programmes that have been reproduced. For instance, Forest v Orient 1975 and I think if memory serves Everton v Fulham 1963. There are reasons for this ie, Clough's first Forest game and Everton's Championship but thought United Championship win could have been a reason for a possible reproduction for this game.

In the late 1990s some clubs sold Memorabila Packs contaiing reproductions of certain programmes. I know both Leeds and Nottingham Forest did and some items have been sold individualy although they contain the word 'Reproduction', normally inside the front cover so are easy to spot.

http://www.leedsunited-mad.co......ndex.shtml

| More
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Queries About Football Programmes All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: