Football Programmes Centre

RIP Tommy Lawrence
AlbumAlbum   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   My Wants ListMy Wants List   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
RIP Tommy Lawrence

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Anything Goes Chit Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Five and In

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 12:54 pm 
Post subject: RIP Tommy Lawrence

Sad new breaking this morning of the passing of Tommy Lawrence, Liverpool Legend. RIP "The Flying Pig"

Pete’s Picture Palace
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 1:19 pm 
Post subject:

Yes, very sad, a very good keeper for many years and much loved everywhere.

If anyone hasn't seen a clip of him being interviewed by the BBC when they didn't know who he was, see here:-

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/u.....c-reporter

RIP Tommy.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
Flaming Pie

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 1:34 pm 
Post subject: RIP Tommy Lawrence

Sad to hear about Tommy.Did meet him, a very nice bloke. There is a funny clip of Tommy.A few years back,the BBC sent a roving reporter to the streets of Liverpool to talk to people about the forthcoming Everton v Liverpool derby match.Unbelievably, the reporter went up to an elderly man and asked him if he remembered the famous 1967 FA Cup tie ? The man started laughing and replied ' aye son', l do.I played in it'. By chance, they had only managed to stumble upon Tommy Lawrence.
Goalsandwickets

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 3:31 pm 
Post subject:

RIP to a top goalkeeper.
littlewiggy

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 4:54 pm 
Post subject: Re: RIP Tommy Lawrence

Flaming Pie wrote:
Sad to hear about Tommy.Did meet him, a very nice bloke. There is a funny clip of Tommy.A few years back,the BBC sent a roving reporter to the streets of Liverpool to talk to people about the forthcoming Everton v Liverpool derby match.Unbelievably, the reporter went up to an elderly man and asked him if he remembered the famous 1967 FA Cup tie ? The man started laughing and replied ' aye son', l do.I played in it'. By chance, they had only managed to stumble upon Tommy Lawrence.

Absolute classic that clip is Pie, I remember it well at the time, and a more modest & unassuming man you couldn't wish to meet.

RIP Tommy lad.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/newport-county-badges/albums
Flaming Pie

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 6:34 pm 
Post subject: RlP Tommy Lawrence

Here we are talking about Tommy Lawrence , Wiggy , over 50 years after he was at his peak. He was not really one of the big stars of the 1960's era, and did not make big bucks from football. To Reds, however, he will remain immortal. Liverpool have just sold the fabulously talented Coutinho for an unbelievable fee.The thing is, will Liverpool fans even remember Coutinho in 50 years time? I very much doubt it!

Last edited by Flaming Pie on Wed Jan 10, 2018 7:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
swnydwr

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 7:31 pm 
Post subject:

very sad - a true legend - RIP
Davee59

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 8:53 pm 
Post subject:

He was a real star and yet in that TV clip he is so unassuming and was clearly amused that he was asked about a game he had played in. Despite earning no great amount of money he appeared happy with his lot in life. RIP Tommy
littlewiggy

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 9:01 pm 
Post subject: Re: RlP Tommy Lawrence

Flaming Pie wrote:
Here we are talking about Tommy Lawrence , Wiggy , over 50 years after he was at his peak. He was not really one of the big stars of the 1960's era, and did not make big bucks from football. To Reds, however, he will remain immortal. Liverpool have just sold the fabulously talented Coutinho for an unbelievable fee.The thing is, will Liverpool fans even remember Coutinho in 50 years time? I very much doubt it!

Spot on pal, I don't even remember the striking rat now, I've erased him from my memory!

Boils my piss to think he earns more in a week to spend on daft tattoos than a gentleman like Tommy did in his entire career.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/newport-county-badges/albums
Jim LFC

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 9:13 pm 
Post subject:

Only just heard the sad news.

I actually bumped into Tommy years ago in Warrington and he was genuinely plaesed to briefly speak about some of my recollections of his latter years. A cheerful. unassuming guy he was part of my first fondly remembered LFC 11.

RIP Tommy
| More
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Anything Goes Chit Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: