Football Programmes Centre

Help with an old, pre-WW1 England team photo sought!
AlbumAlbum   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   My Wants ListMy Wants List   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Help with an old, pre-WW1 England team photo sought!
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Your Football Programme Collection
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TheMusic

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2017 10:34 pm 
Post subject:

Excellent work, thanks. Further research leads me to believe the postcard relates to this match:

April 20th 1911: KO: 16:30, Üllői úti stadium - a FTC, MTK, BAK, NSC, Postás Combined XI 0-2 English Wanderers (HT: 0-1)
Referee: Arthur Yolland
Attendance: 10 000
FTC, MTK, BAK, NSC, Postás Combined XI: Domonkos (MTK) – Rumbold (FTC), Csüdör (Postás) – Weinber (FTC), Károly (BAK), Biró (MTK) – Sebestyén (MTK), Hlavay (NSC), Koródy (FTC), Schlosser (FTC), Borbás (FTC).
English Wanderers: Proud – Boardman, Bell — Scothern, Chapman, Healy – Draper, Springthorpe, Berry, Fitchie, Wright.
Goals: Springthorpe or Fitchie (41'), Fitchie (74').
mrati

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2020 9:11 pm 
Post subject: Re: Help with an old, pre-WW1 England team photo sought!

TheMusic wrote:
Hi All,

I've just acquired this pre-World War One postcard hereunder and would like to clear up exactly which England team is pictured and their opoonent too if possible - can anyone assist please?

What I think I know so far is that it is the England team from the 1908 or 1909 tour to Hungary (the printed text on the back is in Hungarian and states it was printed in 1911). The home team doesn't have the Hungarian national team badge on the players' jerseys though and I can't find mention of any unofficial or gala matches against any other teams, so I'm stumped for now.

Any help much appreciated! Thanks in advance.
This match is Magyar Testgyakorlók Köre vs English Wanderers 2:4
Budapest, FTC stadium, 10000 att. Ref: Fehéry Ákos.
| More
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Your Football Programme Collection All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: