Football Programmes Centre

FK Austria Wien[Vienna] v Manchester United Friendly 1952
AlbumAlbum   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   My Wants ListMy Wants List   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
FK Austria Wien[Vienna] v Manchester United Friendly 1952

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Your Football Programme Collection
View previous topic :: View next topic  
manchesterunitedman1

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 7:14 pm 
Post subject: FK Austria Wien[Vienna] v Manchester United Friendly 1952

With all of this post talking about Admira Wien in the 1950's, I thought I would take the opportunity to show a few bits when FK Austria met Manchester United in a midweek friendly in Brussels to mark an Anniversary of the Belgian Football Association. Both were then the Champions of Austria and England.

The programme is very scarce indeed as are the tickets and the Menu is a hens tooth.

Last week the programme appeared on ebay but failed to sell at just under £5,000, that was the starting point-superb item but ebay is the wrong place to sell top end programmes in my opinion-yes you get great coverage but in a lot of cases that is all and a certain negativity around the item is created as if the seller brings it back they have to adjust the starting price dramatically or change nothing in the hope a "new face" will spot it and become interested, I also think December has to be the worst month to sell as well at the high end-I would have thought at that level you put it in an auction and do a deal on commission as they have the ear of collectors/investors who may not consider ebay perhaps? and it makes a great talking point for the Auction House in their advertising leading up to the sale, but everyone has their own ideas of how to go about their own business.

Anyway enough of all the chatter these are the bits:

https://flic.kr/p/4UWiPD
https://flic.kr/p/4mMhH5
https://flic.kr/p/8mfCfm
https://flic.kr/p/qhHkn3
https://flic.kr/p/67A4Rd
https://flic.kr/p/q3zyGa

Wave

To see 19,900++ original items relating to Newton Heath & Manchester Utd 1878-2023 then visit www.flickr.com/photos/manchesterunitedman1/sets to see entire uploads.

1000's more images to be uploaded, to view the latest uploads go to www.flickr.com/photos/manchesterunitedman1/

Click any images 21 MILLION views to date to the Flickr site since 2007 growing every day. New Uploads weekly. Thank You to one & all for visiting!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
DonQuixote2

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 10:29 pm 
Post subject:

Has your collection a valuation or is it beyond that now?
manchesterunitedman1

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 11:16 pm 
Post subject:

DonQuixote2 wrote:
Has your collection a valuation or is it beyond that now?

Sorry but you have completely lost me Confused

To see 19,900++ original items relating to Newton Heath & Manchester Utd 1878-2023 then visit www.flickr.com/photos/manchesterunitedman1/sets to see entire uploads.

1000's more images to be uploaded, to view the latest uploads go to www.flickr.com/photos/manchesterunitedman1/

Click any images 21 MILLION views to date to the Flickr site since 2007 growing every day. New Uploads weekly. Thank You to one & all for visiting!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
manchesterunitedman1

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 10:17 am 
Post subject: Manchester City in Austria 1935

Well I wanted to add a few other bits and pieces to this thread and so I cannot be completely accused of United nepotism, here are a few items where Manchester City played in Vienna in 1935 as well as City entertaining FK Austria Wien in 1934 in Manchester

Wave

manchesterunitedman1

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 1:15 pm 
Post subject:

Going back to United matters another club from Vienna known as "First Vienna" played 2 friendly "CHALLENGE" matches against Manchester United in 1961 7 1962

The first was a pre-season match played on the 11th August 1961 in Vienna and little known about it as a game which ended 1-1 or from a collectors point of view. No programmes or even a ticket has it seems ever emerged and collectors on the ground in Austria and in Germany have never seen anything also, United had played a Bayern Munich side 2 days earlier and won 2-0, a programme exists but I have never come across a ticket.

Anyway, the second match was played on the 29th October 1962, the programme is of course fairly common but the ticket is certainly not.

Some time ago there was an item for auction stating it was a Silver tray for the Manchester United v First Vienna match in 1962, I do not know how it could have been described as Silver as it was literally Black from years of being ignored, never polished and probably locked in a drawer or cupboard somewhere for well over 50 years

It turned up on a car boot sale in the Czech Republic about a few years ago and an enterprising guy who was a football man and a collector felt it was worth rescuing for the 10 Euro price tag it had!.

Of course he did not know at first when he saw it what it was for or about, but being able to read and write English helped and when he saw "Manchester United & 1962" it was a "kerching moment" for him!.

I managed to secure the item at an extremely higher price than he had paid but my philosophy in collecting has always been I do not care if the item costs the seller nothing or you found it in the street or were given it for nowt as it is worth what it is to me and I had no problems listening to his tale not annoyed that he wanted a massive profit of a few hundred Euros, what was important to me that I would have the original gift given to the First Vienna Club as a gesture of good will by Manchester United. Of course the Silver plated Salver never managed to find it's way into the First Vienna Club but the rough justice is that whoever "removed" it never had any financial benefit from it-serves them right the thieving Bastard, but it may have taken 52 years to arrive back in Manchester but now it has pride of place and restored to it's former glory with some Silver polish for 3 quid from Tesco! Laughing

Sorry for the neck twisting on 2 off the images-did not realise when uploading.

I have always had that way of thinking and when someone goes out of there way to tell me, "it cost me xxxxx£" I only buy it if I think it is interesting and can add something to what I already have.

There are one or two members on this forum with whom I have purchased an odd item from time to time and I have known what it cost them as I may have missed out on it but I have made good offers knowing this anyway as this is how it goes sometimes, it makes you think of some of the items that have turned up over the years that were "for a song" perhaps and although it may never balance out in terms of the outlay there is still much satisfaction that finally you have managed to obtain something you have chased for some time, a great feeling and I am sure many of you will have experienced similar such moments.

Wave

Dorking

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 5:39 pm 
Post subject:

Beautiful tray Leslie Smile
| More
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Your Football Programme Collection All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: