Football Programmes Centre

eBay at Christmas
AlbumAlbum   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   My Wants ListMy Wants List   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
eBay at Christmas

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Football Programmes Offered for Sale or Swap
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TheMusic

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 8:58 pm 
Post subject: eBay at Christmas

Hi All,

Would anyone have an opinion on whether it is any better or worse for seller selling on eBay at Christmas time?

Does it matter if auctions end on Christmas Day?

Do auctions ending during the Christmas/NY holidays benefit from people have more time to browse on days off or suffer from some being busier with family commitments, or does it really not make any difference?
martino

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 10:24 pm 
Post subject:

A good question.

In my experience Christmas and New Year is not a good time to sell on E Bay. Potential buyers are away or have time taken up with family etc.
I am not listing any more auction items until early in the New Year.
Buy it Now are OK if they run on until into the New Year.
Westbourne

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 11:24 pm 
Post subject:

Try it and see then perhaps you can give us feedback.
TheMusic

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 11:31 pm 
Post subject:

@Martino, thanks. @Westbourne, I could do that or I could listen to the advice of other forum members first. I'll opt for the latter option, thanks.
Tynie Topics

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 12:16 am 
Post subject:

Programme Monthly at its peak used to promote their advertising pages at this time of year as they claimed more people had time to go through them during the festive period.

Whether that transmits to ebay I'm not sure, I certainly don't stop using it and probably do have more time to sift through whilst digesting my Xmas pud.
manchesterunitedman1

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 12:28 am 
Post subject: Re: eBay at Christmas

TheMusic wrote:
Hi All,

Would anyone have an opinion on whether it is any better or worse for seller selling on eBay at Christmas time?

Does it matter if auctions end on Christmas Day?

Do auctions ending during the Christmas/NY holidays benefit from people have more time to browse on days off or suffer from some being busier with family commitments, or does it really not make any difference?

Hi Matt

Well you have been given both sides of the argument so as to speak, but personally ebay is not going to stop and if you have item/s that are interesting at sensible start up prices-I would plow ahead-why ever not?.
Still plenty of buyers around for the right stuff and it is not going to put anyone off IMO as Tynie has said everyone is a bit more relaxed and has time to digest what is on offer as well as the food! Laughing

Your stuff-your choice Wave

To see 19,900++ original items relating to Newton Heath & Manchester Utd 1878-2023 then visit www.flickr.com/photos/manchesterunitedman1/sets to see entire uploads.

1000's more images to be uploaded, to view the latest uploads go to www.flickr.com/photos/manchesterunitedman1/

Click any images 21 MILLION views to date to the Flickr site since 2007 growing every day. New Uploads weekly. Thank You to one & all for visiting!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
Five and In

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 7:57 am 
Post subject: eBay at Christmas

It's a tricky one Matt and there are arguments for and against.

Last year I continued as normal on Ebay at Christmas and New Year, but my auctions were definitely down.
On the other hand, my "buy it nows" were considerably up.

We all know that the bulk of bids on auction items come in during the last few minutes and my best guess is that potential buyers may not be around as normal to bid on auctions as the clock runs down due to family commitments etc, but they (and less frequent buyers) will have more time to browse and buy there and then.

For what it's worth, like martino, I am not personally listing any auctions until after New Year now and will rely on "buy it now" sales.

Hope this helps and good luck whichever way you go with it.
Confused
bigdavethemaddog

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 10:46 am 
Post subject:

my main worry over xmas/new year is the postal system with so many bank holidays and clearing the xmas backlog is that something will get lost.
DySporting

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 5:40 pm 
Post subject:

The postal service is in it’s own world. Items sent 2nd class to Aberdeen arriving with a day, items sent 2nd class to 50 miles away taking a week.
bigdavethemaddog

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 5:57 pm 

Five and In wrote:
It's a tricky one Matt and there are arguments for and against.

Last year I continued as normal on Ebay at Christmas and New Year, but my auctions were definitely down.
On the other hand, my "buy it nows" were considerably up.

We all know that the bulk of bids on auction items come in during the last few minutes and my best guess is that potential buyers may not be around as normal to bid on auctions as the clock runs down due to family commitments etc, but they (and less frequent buyers) will have more time to browse and buy there and then.

For what it's worth, like martino, I am not personally listing any auctions until after New Year now and will rely on "buy it now" sales.

Hope this helps and good luck whichever way you go with it.
Confused

i was 'advised' to try and get my auctions to finish on a Sunday evening as traditionally more people are free and browsing - i havent noticed a huge difference though.
Five and In

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 6:01 pm 

bigdavethemaddog wrote:

i was 'advised' to try and get my auctions to finish on a Sunday evening as traditionally more people are free and browsing - i havent noticed a huge difference though.

Normally Saturday and Sunday evening ending times are much more viable for me. I would never end auctions at any other time.

Regarding Christmas and New Year......it's "finger in the wind time."
AJLFC85

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 10:24 am 
Post subject:

I would say prices drop and amount of items listed at least drops by 50% for auction items this is based on me looking the last few years. Typically there is around 13,000 football shirts listed for auction in the UK through the year on a daily basis that figure is already down to the 9000 mark and come Christmas Day it will be 6000. I would defiently only list buy it now items this time of year with a 30 day auction option I find I do very well at Christmas before and after as people get cash for Christmas and come buy items.
| More
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Football Programmes Offered for Sale or Swap All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: