Football Programmes Centre

Soft spot for a bad team
AlbumAlbum   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   My Wants ListMy Wants List   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Soft spot for a bad team

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Anything Goes Chit Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pete’s Picture Palace
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2017 6:18 pm 
Post subject: Soft spot for a bad team

As a kid, growing up, I always checked the scores for the perennial losers, and back then it was Hartlepools in England and Stenhousemuir in Scotland. Even now I look for their scores ahead of most others. It's what we would call a "soft spot".

Nowadays I can't help but look out for Fort William in the Highland League, to be honest their performances since I've been looking have made me wonder how they are in that league at all.

But today, they have really taken the biscuit and exceeded all past misdemeanours.

Brora Rangers 16 Fort William 0.

Homer
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
slightfold

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2017 7:44 pm 
Post subject:

Apparently they were very lucky to get 0 Smile
SeasideMark

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2017 11:05 pm 
Post subject:

Back in the mid 70s we had a team in the Welsh League (North) called Llandudno Swifts. They were bloody awful and regularly shipped double figures, sometimes as high as 18 or 20. Everybody caned them week in, week out, but their keeper for the first couple of seasons moved on to better things...some geezer called Neville Southall. Very Happy
Dorking

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2017 11:14 pm 
Post subject:

Always listen out for Raith Rovers, they were 'my Scottish club', who never did anything.

Then after years of almost nothing, they won the League cup, and got into Europe, and after a couple of early rounds even got to play Bayern Munich home and away (well not even at home as the pitch at Starks Park didn't comply with UEFA regulations!)

Even went all the way to Kirkaldy once to see the place and see a game, was kind of weird going to a place I'd only ever known of from afar, and also saw them away once at Inverness. It was soooooo freezing some Raith fans went out the ground at half time to sit on their coach just outside to warm up!

Not sure they'll ever top their aforementioned high points
derby1884
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2017 11:43 pm 
Post subject:

Hard for Fort to attract players given their location - and Brora Rangers? Well, their wage bill to revenue ratio would make Chelsea blush. Just check out who owns some of these Highland League clubs.

In other words, not a level playing field. The Highland League used to be - but is anything but nowadays, sadly.

Back to the thread subject, I try not to miss a San Marino game (online).

On the rare occasions, "we" get something out of a game**, it's like what following football when I was young was like.
I genuinely enjoy following them.

**The 0-0 draw against Estonia....the goal in Oslo against Norway.....that opening goal at Wembley!!
derby1884
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2017 11:52 pm 
Post subject:

Re Fort William - Claggan Park is certainly one of the more imposing stadia in the UK with those mountains in the background!

Dorking

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 12:26 am 
Post subject:

I wonder how many times during a season it is that sunny and the sky is that blue!
derby1884
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 12:34 am 
Post subject:

I've been twice - factors common to each visit:

-it rained
-Fort William didn't score
-I spent as much time looking at the scenery as the match
-it's a bugger of a drive back to Aberdeen Smile
Five and In

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 8:49 am 
Post subject: Soft spot for a bad team

I have a bizarre reason for looking out for the results of Livingston, previously Meadowbank Thistle.

Back in the 1970's at the start of a season and Shoot's League Ladders arrived with the magazine.
I put the teams into their slots and willed the season to start so that I could begin to move them around.

The following week Shoot issued one sole team tab - Meadowbank.
Apparently, they had printed the name of an incorrect team on the original tabs and omitted Meadowbank in their first season in the league.

I felt sorry for them as this was their big moment and Shoot had overlooked them and have kept an eye out for them ever since.
DonQuixote2

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 11:33 am 
Post subject:

@derby

Sorry to play the pedant card, but......

“Welcome to Bologna on Capital Gold for England versus San Marino with Tennent’s Pilsner, brewed with Czechoslovakian yeast for that extra Pilsner taste... and England are one down.”
martino

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 4:02 pm 
Post subject:

Back in the late 50's our then neighbours moved all the way from Portsmouth to Motherwell. So for that reason they have always been the team north of the border that I look out for.
overlap

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 9:00 pm 
Post subject:

Hi Derby, hate to be a pedant too, but mr Galtieri scored after seven seconds in bologna.

seven years later i was standing on a cloudy hillside in lovely Serraville as Scotland huffed and puffed to no avail until Matt Elliott managed to score in the 71st minute.

And one for Pete - also Scotland national team related - away in Norway in 2009 i met the Norwegian branch of the Stenhousemuir supporters club.

They explained that STEN - HOUSE - MUIR are actually three Norwegian words meaning STONE HOUSE WALL and that is why they follow the team.

(because of the linguistic connection, not because they are brickies).
pastpirate
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 9:56 pm 
Post subject: Re: Soft spot for a bad team

Now I thought I was the only one who looked for Meadowbank/Livingstone's scores. And for the exact same reason. Seem to remember they lost a lot of games at the start of their 1st season. I was willing them to get at least a draw as I felt so sorry for them.

Five and In wrote:
I have a bizarre reason for looking out for the results of Livingston, previously Meadowbank Thistle.

Back in the 1970's at the start of a season and Shoot's League Ladders arrived with the magazine.
I put the teams into their slots and willed the season to start so that I could begin to move them around.

Apparently, they had printed the name of an incorrect team on the original tabs and omitted Meadowbank in their first season in the league.

I felt sorry for them as this was their big moment and Shoot had overlooked them and have kept an eye out for them ever since.

www.bristolroversmemorabilia.weebly.com The definitive list of Bristol Rovers programmes
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Wants List
Five and In

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 10:58 pm 
Post subject: Re: Soft spot for a bad team

pastpirate wrote:
Now I thought I was the only one who looked for Meadowbank/Livingstone's scores. And for the exact same reason. Seem to remember they lost a lot of games at the start of their 1st season. I was willing them to get at least a draw as I felt so sorry for them.

Five and In wrote:

and then there were two Wave
sharrowblade
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 10:44 am 
Post subject:

One of my early lorry driving jobs was to Scotland.

In those days to save money I used to park up at the destination rather than shell out for the Truck stop. But on arrival at Magnet and Southern's at Coatbridge, the car park looked liked some bombed out village in the Ukraine.

There was some tower blocks overlooking it, glass, discarded sofas, bricks all over the place, there were dogs prowling about in three's with bovver boots on.

Next door to Magnet, was Albion Rovers Ground, I considered stopping the night for about 3 seconds, before deciding I was scared so went back down the A74 to Lesmahagow and returned the following morning.

Since then the 'wee Rovers' have been my Scottish team.

Big soft spots for the likes of Grimsby Town and Grimsby Borough.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
DonQuixote2

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 12:17 pm 
Post subject:

I believe that the Shoot 'Meadowbank' thingy arose because
said club were still known as Ferranti Thistle until June of 1974 -
when they were elected to the Scottish League.

However, commercially named teams were not de rigueur
throughout the UK at the time and presumably the change
of name to Meadowbank came after Shoot had produce said ladders.[/i]
| More
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Anything Goes Chit Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: