Football Programmes Centre

Evertons Search For A Manager
AlbumAlbum   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   My Wants ListMy Wants List   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Evertons Search For A Manager
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Your Football Programme Collection
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Flaming Pie

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 3:55 pm 
Post subject: Evertons Search For A Manager

I see Tony Bellew is 500/1 to become the new boss at Goodison with the bookies. This got me thinking,, has a professional boxer( or former pro) ever managed a football league team?
Davee59

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 5:44 pm 
Post subject:

Not quite there but it hits the post!!

In 2003 John Fashanu became the manager of his own Sunday league football team Fash FC. Wave
Five and In

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 6:06 pm 

Curtis Woodhouse was a light welterweight champion who also played for several league clubs including Birmingham and Sheffield United. He also played for England U21's.
He has managed four non league clubs, Sheffield, Hull United, Goole and Bridlington.
littlewiggy

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 6:31 pm 
Post subject: Re: Evertons Search For A Manager

Five and In wrote:
Curtis Woodhouse was a light welterweight champion who also played for several league clubs including Birmingham and Sheffield United. He also played for England U21's.
He has managed four non league clubs, Sheffield, Hull United, Goole and Bridlington.

Curtis is a star - he had some guy giving him constant stick about his boxing prowess on Twitter, so he tracked him down to his house and the guy crapped himself.

lol

Loved that story.

Very Happy

https://www.flickr.com/photos/newport-county-badges/albums
littlewiggy

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 6:35 pm 

Flaming Pie wrote:
I see Tony Bellew is 500/1 to become the new boss at Goodison with the bookies. This got me thinking,, has a professional boxer( or former pro) ever managed a football league team?

Never mind Bellew, Rocky Balboa is one of your celebrity fans isn't he Pie?

Give the job to Rocky mate.

Flaming Pie

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 7:14 pm 

Give big Dunc the job wiggy. Bellew as his assistant, then see how it goes until the end of the season.l'll have to lay off this strong lager! Apparently Bill Shankly was a useful boxer during his army days. I did know a couple of lads in North Wales who coached Michael Owen . They said he looked quite useful. Owen won his first two bouts as a schoolboy.When Liverpool found out they put a stop to his boxing career.
littlewiggy

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 7:22 pm 

Flaming Pie wrote:
Give big Dunc the job wiggy. Bellew as his assistant, then see how it goes until the end of the season.l'll have to lay off this strong lager! Apparently Bill Shankly was a useful boxer during his army days. I did know a couple of lads in North Wales who coached Michael Owen . They said he looked quite useful. Owen won his first two bouts as a schoolboy.When Liverpool found out they put a stop to his boxing career.

Blimey, I'll have to stop laughing at Owen's punditry mate, I had no idea.

I'm too young & pretty to get chinned by a robot.

Smile

Topbidwinsagain

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 8:04 pm 

littlewiggy wrote:
Flaming Pie wrote:

Blimey, I'll have to stop laughing at Owen's punditry mate, I had no idea.

I'm too young & pretty to get chinned by a robot.

Smile

BRILLIANT1

Clap
Rocky

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 9:17 pm 

DonQuixote2

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 11:27 pm 
Post subject:

Who does after tonight..... Confused
Flaming Pie

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 9:56 am 

What a mess Don. Tony Bellew, with David Haye as his assistant, is down to 100/1! The son- in- law was at Goodison recently for one of the Euro games..lt's a chance to take the kids at a reduced price, He said the atmosphere was very hostile. The grandson learnt a few new swear words that night! To be honest, apart from the odd occassion, Everton have not really been up to much for over 30 years.Not since that great team in the 1980s.Lots of clubs are much worse off though. Tranmere , down the road from me,,for one.
Flaming Pie

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 10:03 am 

What a mess Don. Tony Bellew, with David Haye as his assistant, is down to 100/1! The son- in- law was at Goodison recently for one of the Euro games..lt's a chance to take the kids at a reduced price, He said the atmosphere was very hostile. The grandson learnt a few new swear words that night! To be honest, apart from the odd occassion, Everton have not really been up to much for over 30 years.Not since that great team in the 1980s.Lots of clubs are much worse off though. Tranmere , down the road from me,,for one.
Five and In

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 10:26 am 

littlewiggy wrote:
Five and In wrote:

Curtis is a star - he had some guy giving him constant stick about his boxing prowess on Twitter, so he tracked him down to his house and the guy crapped himself.

lol

Loved that story.

Very Happy

Clap Good for him. Too many keyboard warriors in the world today who wouldn't say boo to a goose in real life.
Five and In

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 10:34 am 

Flaming Pie wrote:

It's amazing that a club of Everton's stature have got into such a mess.
The summer spending looked ok, but the obvious error was selling Lukaku and not bringing in a target man with the money received. I'm sure they will address that in January and as a short term answer, Jermain Defoe may be a decent shout as he is not starting at the moment.
As for the manager........What are they doing? Silva obviously wants it, but should they hang their hat on somebody who has had a few months at Hull and similar at Watford? I don't see any longevity in him at any club.
I feel sorry for Unsworth, who bleeds blue and white, but it's clearly not enough.
Alan Pardew could be a decent pair of hands if he doesn't end up at the Baggies?
Flaming Pie

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 11:03 am 

Five,, all good points that you make. Defoe will always score goals.With the likes of Pickford,,Calvert-Lewin,,Keane, Vlasic and Lookman at Everton,all good young players, the basis is there for something better. Bolasie is due back soon as well. I don't know what has happened to Davy Klaassen.He looked outstanding in the Euro games he played for Ajax last season. Perhaps the Dutch league is even poorer than we think it is? Nobody, including the local press, seem to have a clue about who the next manager will be.How about Harry?
littlewiggy

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 2:32 pm 

Five and In wrote:
littlewiggy wrote:
Five and In wrote:

lol

Loved that story.

Very Happy

Clap Good for him. Too many keyboard warriors in the world today who wouldn't say boo to a goose in real life.

Lol, it was funny.

Curtis was posting videos on his phone en route, and then he posted one where he was almost there, it was something like ... "Right I'm in his street now, I've just got to find out which number he lives at" ... and the guy in question was frantically posting apologies.

Very Happy

littlewiggy

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 2:56 pm 
Post subject:

On the face of it, I thought Everton's transfer business in the summer was good, even if the Rooney return smacked of blind sentiment given he looked finished three years ago - a hungry young Spanish striker, a promising midfield play-maker from Holland that had scored 20 goals last season, a highly-rated centre-back from Burnley (although wildly overpriced at £30m given he had just a year left on his contract), and arguably the best young keeper in the country.

Unfortunately, as soon as the season kicked-off, it became apparent that the striker they'd invested in wasn't going to hit the ground running, and that Lukaku's goals hadn't been replaced even in part. Even more troubling was the serious lack of pace in the side - so to then blow £45m on yet another slow "No.10" was not only ill-thought, it was probably the straw that did for Koeman's reign.

It seems odd to me as an outsider that he got the bullet, yet Steve Walsh whose part in it all was hugely significant remained.

Also, to add insult to injury, it now appears obvious that Koeman was sacked without a plan B in place. Hence the Toffees are now getting perilously close to the fire-fighting stage where they'll probably end up going cap in hand to the likes of Allardyce or Pulis. It's a sad day indeed when the club famously known as the School of Science feels it has no choice but to turn to those (and I'm choosing my wording carefully here) charlatans.

Lastly, and worryingly, I see parallels with this EFC side and the Villa side that went down. Hence I'm guessing January can't come quick enough - but seeing as they expected to offset their summer spending with the sale of Barkley, I'm wondering how much folded is left in the kitty?

Even though I make no secret of the fact I'm a big closet red (or the "RS" to the Toffees!), I do hope they'll be ok.

Flaming Pie

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 5:09 pm 

Great analysis wiggy.Better than the blokes who work for The L,pool Echo! The latest name in the frame is some German guy ( can't even remember his name ) that l have never heard of, ,but l am a bit out of touch with what is going on. I remember crying as a kid when Leeds knocked us out of the FA Cup in 1965.l had one ambition, to see Everton win the cup.They won it a year later.After that Leeds defeat ,l decided never to get too upset about football ever again. The only time it bothers me now is when l put on a fixed odds.lf the last leg of the coupon is Liverpool , l suddenly become the biggest Red in the world. Very mercenary!
littlewiggy

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 6:47 pm 

Flaming Pie wrote:
Great analysis wiggy.Better than the blokes who work for The L,pool Echo! The latest name in the frame is some German guy ( can't even remember his name ) that l have never heard of, ,but l am a bit out of touch with what is going on. I remember crying as a kid when Leeds knocked us out of the FA Cup in 1965.l had one ambition, to see Everton win the cup.They won it a year later.After that Leeds defeat ,l decided never to get too upset about football ever again. The only time it bothers me now is when l put on a fixed odds.lf the last leg of the coupon is Liverpool , l suddenly become the biggest Red in the world. Very mercenary!

Lol, I hear that both Bolasie and Barkley are only a couple of weeks away though Pie, and Coleman might not be too far behind them mate.

At present, like that Villa team, you have a bunch of overpaid individuals who I don't trust to roll their sleeves up if I'm honest - but I think those three will make a big difference. Bolasie has the pace you're crying out for, and both Barkley & Coleman especially are full of the heart that's lacking right now.

Hopefully Barkley won't be back until after Dec 10th though buddy, as I don't much like the thought of Mane or Salah having their leg broken!

Very Happy

Five and In

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 6:59 pm 

Flaming Pie wrote:
The latest name in the frame is some German guy ( can't even remember his name ) that l have never heard of, ,but l am a bit out of touch with what is going on.

It looks like the German (Ralf Rrangnick) has ruled himself out FP. His "people" spoke to Jim White on Talk Sport yesterday and stated he doesn't want to manage again. He has been a Sporting Director for five years now and is happy with the stress free role.
| More
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Your Football Programme Collection All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: