Football Programmes Centre

Mullocks Auction, 30th November 2017
AlbumAlbum   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   My Wants ListMy Wants List   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Mullocks Auction, 30th November 2017
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Upcoming Sporting Auctions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Maidonian

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 7:37 pm 
Post subject: Mullocks Auction, 30th November 2017

Some help, please...

If anyone is going to this auction next week, I would really appreciate it if they could let me know (if possible) who wins Lot 807...

https://www.mullocksauctions.co.uk/lot-712020-assorted_non_league_football_programmes_1950s_onwards_includ.html

so I can see where the 1947/48 Edgware Town v Maidenhead programme might turn up in due course.

Thank you.
Tynie Topics

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 7:47 pm 
Post subject:

Sorry to piggy back on this, but can someone advise what the P&P charges are for Mullocks, let's say for one A4 programme? It's not clear on their website. Thanks.
Topbidwinsagain

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:07 pm 
Post subject: Mullocks Auction, 30 November 2017.

PM sent.
Southend_Loyal

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 9:33 am 
Post subject:

Tynie Topics wrote:
Sorry to piggy back on this, but can someone advise what the P&P charges are for Mullocks, let's say for one A4 programme? It's not clear on their website. Thanks.

Id like to know similar please. Say 12 1950's programmes Wink
Flaming Pie

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 10:52 am 
Post subject: Mullocks Auction 30th November 2017

Mullocks appear to be happy to advertise their auctions on this forum.That is fair enough.As Tynie Topics requested,, why not give forum members some idea of their postal charges for one programme? Why the secrecy? If you do find out Tynie, any chance of letting forum members know?
Auchinleckian
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 2:13 pm 
Post subject:

It used to be called service with a smile.
martino

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 3:12 pm 
Post subject:

The simple answer is that Mullocks do not know the cost of shipping.

Their catalogue says that, if you do not make arrangements to collect from them, they use a "designated shipping agent TWC Ltd based in Shrewsbury, they will contact you direct to arrange and pay for shipping".

So it is unlikely to be cheap. It has been highlighted in previous threads that such agents have charged high amounts for a couple of bits of paper.

That approach is easy for the Auction House but they will find that they will lose a lot of business over time.

Shocked
slightfold

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 7:46 pm 
Post subject:

I have seen something I'm interested in on their catalogue, but if I'm going to be shafted on postage I don't think I'll bother !!
se20blue

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 8:01 pm 
Post subject:

slightfold wrote:
I have seen something I'm interested in on their catalogue, but if I'm going to be shafted on postage I don't think I'll bother !!

This is a problem more & more auction houses that take the same route will experience, thank goodness for the likes of Sportingold and Lockdales to quote just a couple.
gatfb

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 8:08 pm 
Post subject:

Been banging on about this for a while now. I can't understand the short term view these sights take. I've stopped bidding on many auctions just because of the postage costs and it looks like many more are doing the same. As some of these auctions check in on here maybe they may decide to change their policies as it's obviously going to hit their bottom line if they continue in this vain.
Auchinleckian
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 8:37 pm 
Post subject:

How about a collectively signed letter from forum users to the likes of Mullocks highlighting what's being said?
martino

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 9:28 pm 
Post subject:

Auchinleckian wrote:
How about a collectively signed letter from forum users to the likes of Mullocks highlighting what's being said?

Mullocks will pick up on the above as they are members on the Forum. It will be interesting to see if they respond.

Mullocks, like other Auction Houses, have decided that they do not want the overhead of staff just to pack and despatch items and so the easy option is to outsource it. They therefore have no control over what the customer is charged. They should be interested in what the customer is charged as it may well affect future business from that customer.

In addition it would be interesting to know if the 19% Buyers Premium charged on the hammer price includes an element of post sale handling.

Also, the Auction House may well receive a percentage of the cost charged by the Agent as commission income.

I have no problem with Auction Houses outsourcing the work but the amount charged to the customer should be:

1. An agreed tariff
2. Reasonable
3. Advertised in the Auction House catalogue so the customer knows what the cost will be.

This is not brain surgery and can be easily resolved. Sportingold's approach is the benchmark. They charge £3 packing plus the actual cost of postage which is very reasonable.

Like others, because of this uncertainty, I no longer bid at Auction (except Sportingold) unless I can attend myself or someone I know is attending and can bid and pick up the lot on the day.
Maidonian

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 9:46 am 
Post subject: Re: Mullocks Auction, 30th November 2017

Maidonian wrote:
Some help, please...

If anyone is going to this auction next week, I would really appreciate it if they could let me know (if possible) who wins Lot 807...

https://www.mullocksauctions.co.uk/lot-712020-assorted_non_league_football_programmes_1950s_onwards_includ.html

so I can see where the 1947/48 Edgware Town v Maidenhead programme might turn up in due course.

Thank you.

If there is anyone intending to go to this on Thursday, please let me know - thank you.
1889double

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 8:29 am 
Post subject:

martino wrote:
Auchinleckian wrote:

Mullocks will pick up on the above as they are members on the Forum. It will be interesting to see if they respond.

Mullocks, like other Auction Houses, have decided that they do not want the overhead of staff just to pack and despatch items and so the easy option is to outsource it. They therefore have no control over what the customer is charged. They should be interested in what the customer is charged as it may well affect future business from that customer.

In addition it would be interesting to know if the 19% Buyers Premium charged on the hammer price includes an element of post sale handling.

Also, the Auction House may well receive a percentage of the cost charged by the Agent as commission income.

I have no problem with Auction Houses outsourcing the work but the amount charged to the customer should be:

1. An agreed tariff
2. Reasonable
3. Advertised in the Auction House catalogue so the customer knows what the cost will be.

This is not brain surgery and can be easily resolved. Sportingold's approach is the benchmark. They charge £3 packing plus the actual cost of postage which is very reasonable.

Like others, because of this uncertainty, I no longer bid at Auction (except Sportingold) unless I can attend myself or someone I know is attending and can bid and pick up the lot on the day.

This is a reasonable amount compared to others. However, if there are 1000 items in the auction, that is £3000 in labour and packing costs. This is still a decent profit-margin when many lots will take very little time to pack. An e-bayer would receive poor feedback if charging almost £4.00 to post one item.
Southend_Loyal

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 9:59 am 
Post subject:

I bought 12 programmes through the recent auction and to be fair, when I paid for them the lady said, they would be packed by Mullocks and sent Registered Post so just a few pounds. The same way most dealers would have sent them so this thread seems to have an element of hysteria in it.

Just trying to be fair to Mullocks
mustard68

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 10:18 am 
Post subject: mullocks

I also received a great service
4 lots [20 programmes] invoiced packed & received in a matter of days after the auction
goonerboy

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 12:19 pm 
Post subject:

I didn't buy from Mullocks this time but I did buy from Tim Davidson's recent auction. I received the item about a week later with the invoice included with the item. That was great service however I only bought one programme for £40 and p&p was £7.90. I can't remember now what postal service was used but it could have been sent "signed for" for £1.75.

Even the sportingold £3 is ridiculous. If I have one or only few small items just put in an envelope it is ridiculous to charge the same as packing up one or more bulky items into a box. Why should someone buying one or two programmes effectively be subsidising someone who buys large items. It takes about 5 minutes to address and seal an envelope so effectively they are charging £50-60 per hour for packaging. As also stated above any ebayer or dealer charging £4+ for simple postage would get slated. However i don't want to single out sportingold as overall they provide a good service but it is just an example.

Overall auction houses are taking the mickey now with their commission fees and packing fees. Stick to buying from ebay where the buyer is treated better.
martino

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 4:42 pm 
Post subject:

Southend_Loyal wrote:
I bought 12 programmes through the recent auction and to be fair, when I paid for them the lady said, they would be packed by Mullocks and sent Registered Post so just a few pounds. The same way most dealers would have sent them so this thread seems to have an element of hysteria in it.

Just trying to be fair to Mullocks

Certainly not "hysteria" - just plain facts.

From the recent posts it looks as though Mullocks may have taken on board some of the feedback from this thread and despatching some items in house instead of the total outsourcing that was part of the T & C for the last Auction.
bluejames

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 5:28 pm 
Post subject:

I bought some nice items,for what i consider, cheap prices from Mullocks.This is the fifth consecutive auction this has happened.
I suspect there are a lot of people not bidding at Mullocks because of the sort of comments made on the forum.That suits me fine.The less there are bidding the less competition there is.
On every occasion i have telephoned the auction house,after the sale, and discussed the postage costs and ways of having the goods sent to me.On every occasion they have listened,discussed and dealt with my query and postage and costs in a sensible manner.I think that has got absolutely nothing to do with what is said on this forum.
I note that ebay is recommended as the place to buy yet there is thread after thread on the forum discussing thieving,scams and sellers and buyers to keep away from on ebay.
At least Mullocks deliver what they say they will and at a postage cost that i find very acceptable.
Tynie Topics

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 5:40 pm 
Post subject: Re: Mullocks Auction 30th November 2017

Flaming Pie wrote:
Mullocks appear to be happy to advertise their auctions on this forum.That is fair enough.As Tynie Topics requested,, why not give forum members some idea of their postal charges for one programme? Why the secrecy? If you do find out Tynie, any chance of letting forum members know?

I didn't really get a clear answer on cost, and in the end I was out of the country anyway and didn't make advance arrangements to bid. It wasn't a must have item for me anyway.

Maybe they would benefit from updating their website on postage policy regarding ephemera.
| More
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Upcoming Sporting Auctions All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: