Football Programmes Centre

Press photo - Lytham v Droylsden 1952
AlbumAlbum   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   My Wants ListMy Wants List   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Press photo - Lytham v Droylsden 1952

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Shirt Collecting/Other Football Memorabilia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pete’s Picture Palace
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 8:38 pm 
Post subject: Press photo - Lytham v Droylsden 1952

I got hold of this nice photo recently and I'm after a bit more information if possible, please, probably from someone in the Lytham or Droylsden areas. From research I've done it would appear to be in the Lancashire Combination, 2nd division, in which both sides played in that era.

It's dated 13.9.1952 and the narrative states: "Hodges' 2nd goal, Lytham v Droylsden". So it looks like the chap in the white shirt & black shorts is Hodges and he's scoring - but my first question is.... did he play for Lytham or Droylsden? And can anyone tell me the score in this match?

If no one knows that, what about the colours of these 2 teams? One is in white shirts, black shorts. The other is in what looks like sky blue or tangerine or yellow shirts, white shorts.

One thing that does interest me about this 1952 photo from deepest Lancashire is that of the 20-ish people standing on the far side, 6 appear to be women and there are 2 prams. Is this normal in that neck of the woods?

Anyway, it's a great photo, 65 years old. All information greatly appreciated as always. Thank you.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
Flaming Pie

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 9:46 pm 
Post subject: Press photo Lytham v Droylsden 1952

Nice sunny day . Looks like a pre -season freindly Pete. Looks like the game is being played in a local park? Don't be fooled by the prams .Probably contained crates of ale for the after match refreshments!
Leigh Treymaine

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 10:51 pm 
Post subject: Lytham press photo.

Looks like Ballam Road, Lytham.
Pete’s Picture Palace
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 2:54 am 
Post subject:

Thanks Leigh.

FP, why should I doubt what's written on the back? You often get nice sunny days in September and the two teams were in the same division for years. You could be right about the prams!

Just seen that Droylsden FC have been known as "the Bloods" for ever so they play in all red. Doesn't really help here but white & black could be their away kit.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
littlewiggy

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 3:37 am 
Post subject: Re: Press photo Lytham v Droylsden 1952

Flaming Pie wrote:
Nice sunny day . Looks like a pre -season freindly Pete. Looks like the game is being played in a local park? Don't be fooled by the prams .Probably contained crates of ale for the after match refreshments!

Laughing Laughing Laughing

https://www.flickr.com/photos/newport-county-badges/albums
Pete’s Picture Palace
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 2:37 am 
Post subject:

This photo is now SOLD to one of the nice FPC regulars.

But he (and I) would still be grateful if anyone can please verify which team is which and who Hodges played for.
| More
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Shirt Collecting/Other Football Memorabilia All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: