Football Programmes Centre

The Quest for the 92
AlbumAlbum   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   My Wants ListMy Wants List   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
The Quest for the 92
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 19, 20, 21

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Anything Goes Chit Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ronsaunders

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 5:52 pm 
Post subject:

Foxes 1 - my experiences (and most of my friends) of the Madrid police are that they are the most violent and indiscriminate bullies that I have ever come across. The word "wanker" does not even begin to describe them and if I saw a Madrid police being rounded upon by people, I'd have no sense of guilt in justing walking past.
sharrowblade
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 2:40 pm 
Post subject:

Ground No 56, The Memorial Ground - Bristol Rovers

The week didn't start well, pipe and slippers and a mug of Horlicks on sunday night, set against the backdrop of an unlit log fire (Come on, I'm not made of money, you know), the wife turned adoringly and enquired in a soft velvety whispered tone if I had made any arrangements for Tuesday night.
Tuesday, the day of love, the night of passion...St Valentines Day. She twirled a finger in her hair, 'Is it Venice, she playfully teased. I was unresponsive, I couldn't believe I was sat watching a repeat of 'Dance Moms'.
I was hoping that would be the end of it but I was to be sadly disappointed....'or maybe a little cottage in the Lake District, or ooh I know a.... West end Show' she continued unabated. Finally, I had little choice but to end this madness.
'Please yourself luv....I'm off to Bristol Rovers' Laughing Who said romance was dead?

Picked the boys up from the School gates at 3 and headed South. The Sat-Nav map of the midlands had more traffic obstruction spots than the average teenagers face. I harked back to the halcyon days of my lorry driving youth and went down the A38. Normally I'd go through Brownhills, and skirt round Walsall, but I envisaged this being somewhat on the busy side. For some unexplained reason, I threw caution to the wind and headed straight to Spaghetti, it was a catastrophic and calamitous choice. As life ebbed away, ,Macca attempted to placate my well known hatred of 'Audi Drivers who push in' by devising a quiz. Unfortunately, that too ended badly, when he asked for names of 'Bond Baddies'. an argument raged with Danny... he just wouldn't take 'No' for an answer.

Eventually, the shackles of restraint were broken but the time lost had took its toll, any thoughts of a pre-match pint with Pastpirate had sadly vanished and we arrived with 10 minutes to go. The surrounding area was bedlam, it was poorly lit, and no parking to be had, so we went for a tour of Bristol before we found a cul-de-sac. At this point I confess I had no idea where we were.

On the skyline, that arc of light that proper floodlights possess radiated the night sky, the sound of the crowd getting louder as the ground came closer. It was old time, and all the better for it. We arrive 10 minutes after kick off, it doesn't bode well for programmes or teamsheets but fortune shone as we came through the gates the Media and ticket collection window was still open and they duly obliged.

Its packed like a tin of John West's, we don't see anything for half an hour until two blokes are carried out in need of Oxygen. Dan with reactions like a gazelle needs no invitation to fill the void, Macca with reactions akin to a 'Slug' gets left at the back. See you at halftime son Laughing

There's a heady atmosphere of alcohol, Cannabis, BO and them god awful vapour thingies. It may not be the most suitable ground for football, there's large parts of it which would be more at home as a wedding Marquee, but with a sizeable crowd, no visible space anywhere, it felt nostalgic, it felt like old time football.

The game isn't a classic by any means and it ends goal-less.

Enjoyed the visit and arrived back home at 2am, to find the Wife had been spoilt rotten with flowers, Milk Tray and some lingerie.

Funny that....I don't remember sending any:? ....Still not to worry, it was another point for the Blades and another ground for the lads.

Next Stop: Cardiff City
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
sharrowblade
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 12:43 pm 
Post subject:

Damn...lost Leyton Orient and Hartlepool in the summer.....but regained Lincoln so we were back to 55.

Ground No 56. The Cardiff City Stadium.....Cardiff City

The sun shone, it was the holidays, Cliff was on the Radio and we were heading for the Valleys.

There was five of us, My mate Brad and his lad Freddie, and the gruesome twosome and me. It was an uneventful trip down, with Brad regaling stories like when he once scored four goals at Glasshoughton Welfare, and still lost 4-1 Smile. The boys were ground hopping as usual, and they managed to get out and have a run about the pitch at Bromsgrove Rovers. Back on the road we couldn't find Monmouth Town so I rather foolishly agreed to go after the match. . We entered Wales, I confess to having mixed feelings whenever I'm across the border, the wife once accused me of sleeping with a girl from Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch. It was very upsetting at the time 'How she could possibly say that'. Confused

A little detour on the outskirts of Newport brought us to the little town of Caerleon. We stop for a pint at the Hanbury Arms on the banks of the Usk and Freddie produces a travel card game. Each card has a photograph on it, I glance over Danny's shoulder, he's been dealt OJ Simpson, Michael Barrymore and Amanda Knox. I though 'Hello, this is going to be a long game of Cluedo' Surprised

We're off around the corner to Caerleon FC, where's there is fevered activity, there's a game scheduled, it looks like it would be a classic. The centre forward has turned up late and is getting chased down the lane by a stray dog, the star midfielder is going through an intense fitness test which consists of two big Macs and fries and the back four show good organization as they keep in formation as they relieve themselves behind the main grandstand.
Seriously, I would have loved to have stayed, the little clubhouse looked very welcoming.

Sadly time is against us, and we have to leave, and we finally make it to Cardiff. Its been suggested we try the local 'Goals Centre' but we choose the car Park adjacent and it costs a Fiver. Still, Goals wanted £8, (we would have wanted 30 minutes on a pitch for that). Team sheets are scarce, but we manage to get a couple. Tickets are very reasonably priced £41 for 2 adults and 3 juniors. You can buy the Away end at Hillsborough for that.

Its a sit where you want policy, and as usual the boys head towards the back, to be fair it was going to be a decent view wherever we sat. The boys liked the stadium, its a tidy set up but sadly the team's performance doesn't quite cut it on the night. General Warnock has organised his troops well and we're beaten by the better team on the night.

On the way out I'm hoping nobody's remembered about Monmouth. It was a rash promise made in the madness of a hazy summer's afternoon, but I'm undone by Macca who is still wide awake as we head home.

Ultimately, the mission was futile, the sat nav wasn't having it, google maps wasn't it, and I wasn't having it. I had no excuse apart from 'What are we doing at Midnight, driving around Monmouth?'.

One day we will return.......aaaaaaaarrrrrrrggggggghhhhhh.

Next Stop: Sunderland

Last edited by sharrowblade on Thu Sep 21, 2017 9:38 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
mark01

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 11:56 am 
Post subject:

Hi Sharrow, I couldnt find Monmouth's ground either a few years back when they were playing in a Welsh fa cup game. Then I found out they had swopped grounds with the opposition!

It's just off the town centre and they share the ground with the rugby club!

regards, Mark

Glad you enjoyed the Bristol Rovers away 'pen'

PS Visited my 400th ground last week.
sharrowblade
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 9:05 pm 
Post subject:

mark01 wrote:
Hi Sharrow, I couldnt find Monmouth's ground either a few years back when they were playing in a Welsh fa cup game. Then I found out they had swopped grounds with the opposition!

It's just off the town centre and they share the ground with the rugby club!

regards, Mark

Glad you enjoyed the Bristol Rovers away 'pen'

PS Visited my 400th ground last week.

Nice one....Wow 400 Bow
sharrowblade
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 10:24 pm 
Post subject:

Ground No 57, The Stadium of Light, Sunderland

Away days, hours of planning, precise calculations of time and distance, and most important of all food supplies. If Macca doesn't get his bacon sarnie there's always hell to pay. Naturally, the best laid plans are rendered totally useless because of certain individuals inability to get out of bed....... I'm innocent I tell ya.

Depart 10:15am, arrive 2pm, not bad considering we've had two ground tours at Norton and Stockton and Billingham Town, and visited Wolviston FC, Peterlee (we couldn't find it again Surprised ), and Easington Colliery on the way up.

Peterlee....where's the ground dad?

Traffic is light as we come in from Seaham, I consider parking in the City Centre but decide to park the other side of the bridge. It pays dividends, Its a 10 minute walk to the ground, the area is fine and its free Laughing

Plenty of pubs nearby, such as the Victory where supporters from both sides were enjoying the sunshine. Arrive at Bob Stokoe's statue at 2:30 pm, programmes purchased and proceed to search for a team-sheet. There isn't any. Reception has high security, The ticket office have no knowledge and the girls in the club shop did say something but it was unintelligible. Broad Mackem, don't you just love it, Dan said it was unusual to have so many Portuguese working in the club shop Confused

Finally, in an act of desperation I invaded the media office and was promptly thrown out. A request for a team-sheet was refused, it wasn't so much a refusal more of a brutal put-down, I turned to the lads, I sensed the eyes were welling up, with bitter disappointment etched in expression , I just shrugged , I couldn't think of anything to say to them.

The Media officer must have noticed the tears running down the cheeks and in an unlikely moment of remorse took pity, and returned Haway, lads, 2 team-sheets for you......now get your dad to stop crying'.

The climb to the away section is a long and arduous affair, the weak were falling by the wayside with altitude sickness. On we went, higher and higher, on each floor there's a sign on the wall from Vinnie Jones saw more red than these floors, to the height of Jason Lee's haircut until we reached the pinnacle, 'this is the height that Chris Waddle's Italia 90 Penalty reached'. Nice touch that.

We're in the gods, 5 seats from the back, the lads are happy, I'm not my seat is broken and to add to this I've got the jolly green giant next to me who insists on sharing with Dan and me. The atmosphere is good, can't speak for the home supporters as they are miles away. We lead 1-0 at half time and deservedly so, the beginning of the second half felt a little surreal, large swathes of the home end are sparse. I never took Sunderland as having a big prawn sandwich brigade. With 15 minutes left United strike again and its game over, despite a late goal deep into injury time. Not many saw it, they'd already left.

Not sure what to make of it all, without running the risk of upsetting some of the form's brethren like Karb, but they do appear to be somewhat fickle with a penchant for leaving very early.

Exit from the ground is slow, and we're virtually the last to leave. We enjoy a casual walk around the ground, its quite entertaining watching the drunk stragglers from the visitor Coaches, patting the noses of police horses, and mumbling 'Ahhhhh.....I want one'.

Outside reception the players are coming out. Quick word and photo with Ched and then back to the Reliant. The day's been a good un' all round. Seaham Red Star and Stockton Town are paid a visit on the way back. So 7 ground visits in all. Back Home 9pm.

Tickets: £42 (1 x £22, 2 x £10)
Programmes: £3
Pint of Lager: Didn't have owt'. Surprised
| More
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Anything Goes Chit Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 19, 20, 21
Page 21 of 21

Jump to: