Football Programmes Centre

Returning items bought on eBay
AlbumAlbum   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   My Wants ListMy Wants List   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Returning items bought on eBay

 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Anything Goes Chit Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Wullie



Joined: 10 Jun 2009
Posts: 3410

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 8:33 pm 
Post subject: Returning items bought on eBay
Reply with quote

Tomorrow i am returning a coin i bought on eBay a few days ago. The coin i am 99.9 percent sure is a fake. The seller is genuine and not a con artist as they have offered a refund and apologised . The only other item i have ever returned was an autographed 1950s Sunderland team photo cut from a magazine. Whilst i am no expert , it just didn't seem right , and i thought the signatures were printed. Again a immediate refund was offered.

Has anyone else ever returned items bought from eBay , or attempted too. Were they meet with courtesy like myself , or did things turn nasty ?
Has anyone ever bought something and thought, this doesn't seem right ?


Last edited by Wullie on Sun Oct 22, 2017 9:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
littlewiggy



Joined: 07 Apr 2013
Posts: 1396
Location: Newport

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 8:55 pm 
Post subject:
Reply with quote

I've never returned anything Wullie.
I normally blame myself for not being more diligent and take it on the chin.

I have twice offered to return badges that were damaged though, but on both occasions was told not to bother and was kindly sent a replacement.

I've had a few buyers take the Michael and return things for nothing more than buyer's remorse. All have gone straight on my blocked list.
Nothing boils my piss more as an honest seller than that.

People need to own their mistakes.



(I'm not aiming that last comment at you mind mate, if something is a fake then you've every right to return it)
_________________
Newport County Badges, Tickets & Cards

https://www.flickr.com/photos/newport-county-badges/albums
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Wullie



Joined: 10 Jun 2009
Posts: 3410

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 9:02 pm 
Post subject:
Reply with quote

The coin was too expensive to let go . The photo i should have just kept as they were a lovely couple who i had bought off before. I'm not even sure the signatures were printed. You think it would be easy to tell but it's not always. I regret not just writing that one off .
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
littlewiggy



Joined: 07 Apr 2013
Posts: 1396
Location: Newport

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 9:16 pm 
Post subject:
Reply with quote

Wullie wrote:
The coin was too expensive to let go . The photo i should have just kept as they were a lovely couple who i had bought off before. I'm not even sure the signatures were printed. You think it would be easy to tell but it's not always. I regret not just writing that one off .


Your coin is exactly the reason why we have a return system in place Wullie, that's using the system absolutely correctly as was its intention.

If it were mine it would be getting returned too.
It's one thing writing off a few bob, but not a significant spend.
I can't afford to do that, and I doubt many of us can.

It's the people that abuse the returns system that nark me so.
The bad eggs that spoil it for every other bugger.

It's like those very odd occasions when I've had to tell a seller that the item I bought hasn't arrived - because of the shysters that abuse this, I always feel really guilty about it, like I'm doing something wrong - when I'm most definitely not.
_________________
Newport County Badges, Tickets & Cards

https://www.flickr.com/photos/newport-county-badges/albums
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
martino



Joined: 21 Jun 2011
Posts: 1565
Location: Beautiful downtown Goostrey, Cheshire

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 8:27 am 
Post subject:
Reply with quote

The only return I have received was a programme, but not the one I sent out.

Same match but the returned programme had defects which were definitely not on the one I sold. The buyer had used me to upgrade the quality of his programme at no cost!!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Five and In



Joined: 15 Sep 2015
Posts: 631
Location: Dawlish, Devon

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 3:21 pm 
Post subject: Returning items bought on eBay
Reply with quote

Although I have been disappointed on a few occasions, I have never returned anything and like Wiggy said earlier, take it on the chin.

I have had a couple of shirts returned in the past as they didn't fit the buyer (who should have read the listing properly), and refunded once they were back with me, so no harm done.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
littlewiggy



Joined: 07 Apr 2013
Posts: 1396
Location: Newport

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 3:58 pm 
Post subject: Re: Returning items bought on eBay
Reply with quote

Five and In wrote:
Although I have been disappointed on a few occasions, I have never returned anything and like Wiggy said earlier, take it on the chin.

I have had a couple of shirts returned in the past as they didn't fit the buyer (who should have read the listing properly), and refunded once they were back with me, so no harm done.



I had a Watney's Beer Badge returned Five because it "wasn't an original item," as I had apparently led the buyer to believe.

My item description had been short, clear, and to the point ...

"Modern Retrospective Watney's Badge"

I mean, what parts of "modern" and "retrospective" are so confusing??

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

There's some stars out there for sure mate.


PS. Martino's post made me chuckle, honestly the brass neck on some folk!
_________________
Newport County Badges, Tickets & Cards

https://www.flickr.com/photos/newport-county-badges/albums
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Five and In



Joined: 15 Sep 2015
Posts: 631
Location: Dawlish, Devon

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 4:06 pm 
Post subject: Returning items bought on eBay
Reply with quote

There are definitely some thickos out there Wiggy!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Pete’s Picture Palace
Forum Moderator


Joined: 19 Feb 2013
Posts: 2629
Location: Wallington Surrey

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 4:53 pm 
Post subject:
Reply with quote

I rarely return anything because I take the utmost care before bidding (as I guess we all do), but in the last month I had to return 5 photos. This annoyed me as they looked great and I had a customer lined up for one of them before it arrived.

One was an "original 1957 cup final photo" which I paid top dollar for. It had a stamp on the back with an 01 phone number. 01 phone numbers came in in 1966. I would hazard that this photo was reprinted in the 70's as the paper was consistent with usual 1970's photos. There was no point me keeping that as I can't sell things like that and the experienced trader (8000 feedback and I've dealt with him on and off for 20 years) should have spotted that. And as I said "top dollar" - I can't afford to throw money like that away. But it could have been a mistake and it would have a value albeit nowhere near what I paid. However...

In the same batch were 3 photos of Eusebio holding the European Cup, with and without Mario Coluna. This would have been when Benfica won it in 1961 or 62. They looked great on EBay and again this trader described them as "original press photos". But nobody else bid so maybe I should have been prepared for the modern photocopies that came in the post with the one mentioned above. I was incandescent.

Plus there was one of Ossie Ardiles and Diego Maradona at the 1978 World Cup. It also looked superb but may have been run off a printer last week. There is no way anyone experienced dealing in football memorabilia would have considered this one or the Benfica ones to be "original press photos".

So I returned them all and in fairness I was refunded but I'm still awaiting an apology and I won't buy any more from him till I get one.

So in my view "taking it on the chin" isn't an option when a respected trader tells porkies and tries to stitch you up.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
littlewiggy



Joined: 07 Apr 2013
Posts: 1396
Location: Newport

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 5:11 pm 
Post subject:
Reply with quote

Pete’s Picture Palace wrote:
I rarely return anything because I take the utmost care before bidding (as I guess we all do), but in the last month I had to return 5 photos. This annoyed me as they looked great and I had a customer lined up for one of them before it arrived.

One was an "original 1957 cup final photo" which I paid top dollar for. It had a stamp on the back with an 01 phone number. 01 phone numbers came in in 1966. I would hazard that this photo was reprinted in the 70's as the paper was consistent with usual 1970's photos. There was no point me keeping that as I can't sell things like that and the experienced trader (8000 feedback and I've dealt with him on and off for 20 years) should have spotted that. And as I said "top dollar" - I can't afford to throw money like that away. But it could have been a mistake and it would have a value albeit nowhere near what I paid. However...

In the same batch were 3 photos of Eusebio holding the European Cup, with and without Mario Coluna. This would have been when Benfica won it in 1961 or 62. They looked great on EBay and again this trader described them as "original press photos". But nobody else bid so maybe I should have been prepared for the modern photocopies that came in the post with the one mentioned above. I was incandescent.

Plus there was one of Ossie Ardiles and Diego Maradona at the 1978 World Cup. It also looked superb but may have been run off a printer last week. There is no way anyone experienced dealing in football memorabilia would have considered this one or the Benfica ones to be "original press photos".

So I returned them all and in fairness I was refunded but I'm still awaiting an apology and I won't buy any more from him till I get one.

So in my view "taking it on the chin" isn't an option when a respected trader tells porkies and tries to stitch you up.



Again, like Wullie's coin, that's exactly why the system is in place Pete, and you were right to return them. That's what the buyer protection is for. Items damaged in transit and items clearly not as described.

It's not in place for buyer's remorse however, or any other scam that people keep dreaming up. I've bought many an item and regretted it - I wouldn't dream of returning it though as it's my mistake and my mistake alone.

Ditto when I've been too idle or too rash to read the description properly and study the photographs provided.

That's what I (& I assume Five) meant by "taking it on the chin" mate.

In yours (& Wullie's) position, I would have returned the item too.
_________________
Newport County Badges, Tickets & Cards

https://www.flickr.com/photos/newport-county-badges/albums
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
littlewiggy



Joined: 07 Apr 2013
Posts: 1396
Location: Newport

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 5:27 pm 
Post subject:
Reply with quote

Incidentally, I had a "first" the other day.

A chap PM'd me through eBay and said ... "I'm currently winning your item, but can you remove the bid because I've decided I don't want it now."

It did make me chuckle I must admit.
Then I thought what a cheeky git.
I kind of admired his cheek though, and would much prefer that kind of brutal honesty than somebody jerking me around by returning it under some false pretence or being a non-paying winner.

It was a first in my 16 years on eBay though.
_________________
Newport County Badges, Tickets & Cards

https://www.flickr.com/photos/newport-county-badges/albums
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Five and In



Joined: 15 Sep 2015
Posts: 631
Location: Dawlish, Devon

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 6:21 pm 
Post subject: Returning items bought on eBay
Reply with quote

[quote="littlewiggy"]
Pete’s Picture Palace wrote:


Ditto when I've been too idle or too rash to read the description properly and study the photographs provided.

That's what I (& I assume Five) meant by "taking it on the chin" mate.

In yours (& Wullie's) position, I would have returned the item too.


As Wiggy says Pete, it's a different ball game if deceived or top dollar involved and I would return as you did.
Thankfully I haven't been in that position.....yet!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
bee007



Joined: 06 Oct 2015
Posts: 66

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 7:08 pm 
Post subject: Re: Returning items bought on eBay
Reply with quote

Five and In wrote:
There are definitely some thickos out there Wiggy!


I bought a Bedworth Town Supporters Club Badge advertised as pin fitting for £2.50. When the Badge arrived, to my surprise it was a Buttonhole fitting. I contacted the seller about it and they said they didn't know there was a difference in fittings.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Wullie



Joined: 10 Jun 2009
Posts: 3410

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 7:47 pm 
Post subject:
Reply with quote

i think we've all bought programmes described as "mint" , only to find half time scores filled in, teams changers etc. Which reminds me. I did send another item back many many years ago. A 1925 Sheffield United v Sunderland programme . When it arrived , a whole article had been cut out. I hit the roof, but the seller said he never even noticed Laughing Fair play to him , he exchanged it for something similar and this one was complete.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
| More
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Anything Goes Chit Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum