Football Programmes Centre

Britain declares war on Germany 3rd September 1939
AlbumAlbum   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   My Wants ListMy Wants List   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Britain declares war on Germany 3rd September 1939

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Your Football Programme Collection
View previous topic :: View next topic  
manchesterunitedman1

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 7:20 pm 
Post subject: Britain declares war on Germany 3rd September 1939

Just been looking at a few of the next few uploads for flickr concentrating on adding a few items from 1939-40 season.

I have a copy of the News Chronicle newspaper dated the 4th September the day after war was declared on Germany.

All of the newspaper is about what has happened and is about to happen in the World, but they still kept a full page for the football scores from the Saturday which turned out would be the last League games to be played until August 1946. Of course it would take a little time to organise the regional football and it was not until the end of October 1939 until things started to happen and games were being played.

This is the News Chronicle Headline

Today, with social media, technology and the fact within 5 seconds of something happening the World and his wife will get to know about it-THAT alone is even more frightening, thankfully for the big shots of the Premier League I hear Kim Jong un has a box in the Stretford End at Old Trafford so at least the home games will be played in safety! :lol

However, I am informed he will make no decision until after the 3rd Round of the FA Cup if United go out then everyone not in the PL take cover
Laughing

Here is the nutter with his cronies outside the Burger stall near the car park at the Stretford end recently.

To see 19,900++ original items relating to Newton Heath & Manchester Utd 1878-2023 then visit www.flickr.com/photos/manchesterunitedman1/sets to see entire uploads.

1000's more images to be uploaded, to view the latest uploads go to www.flickr.com/photos/manchesterunitedman1/

Click any images 21 MILLION views to date to the Flickr site since 2007 growing every day. New Uploads weekly. Thank You to one & all for visiting!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
New Forest

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 11:19 am 
Post subject:

Looks like they have just heard that Wayne Rooney has signed for Everton.

War is no joke. I cannot imagine what it was like living in London during the blitz. I have in front of me a programme from 1943 which reads 'Supporters will probably know of the Football Association ruling re: stoppage of games. Only in the event of enemy aircraft overhead will play be stopped. Shelter is provided under the stand.' So what did happen? Did the ref stop play or just carry on or did supporters try and all fit under the stand, By the time you did they Luftwaffe were half way back across the channel.
| More
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Your Football Programme Collection All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: