Football Programmes Centre

New EBay Policy
AlbumAlbum   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   My Wants ListMy Wants List   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
New EBay Policy
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Anything Goes Chit Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
littlewiggy

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 9:11 pm 
Post subject: New EBay Policy

Anybody else received this from eBay?
I thought maybe I received it because they booted me off for a week recently for outside trading ...

These changes are effective immediately for new members and from 22 October 2017 for current members.

Here’s a summary of the main changes:

• We’ve added new terms to the User Agreement to clarify that users are not permitted to complete outside of eBay any sales transactions with each other arising from items listed on the eBay platform. Offers to buy and sell or communicate outside of eBay constitute policy violations and may be subject to a range of actions including limits on buying and selling privileges as well as the application of final value fees for such transactions, the application of fees for the introduction of a seller to a buyer and the recovery of expenses for policy monitoring and enforcement. The same can result from sharing or requesting contact information with the intention to trade outside of eBay. You can read the relevant policy here.

• We have included language which means that we may deduct fees, charges or other amounts which you owe us from an eBay credit balance held or controlled by you.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/newport-county-badges/albums
TheSorter!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 9:36 pm 
Post subject: Ebay

I so wish Ebay had some proper competition. I got a phone call from them recently warning me not to trade outside of their website. The guy warned me I could be kicked off for a week too. Who the hell do they think they are? No
Dorking

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 9:38 pm 
Post subject:

I've not had it, sounds very draconian, without the message facility, wouldn't have been able to get the badges I have done off nadja, brummy dave an countless others. Have been able to do all sorts of private deals and make contact to obtain stuff that hasn't been listed etc

Big mistake by ebay IMO, guess they feel they must be missing out on all sorts of business

Have you got a direct contact method for nadja by the way? If so PM me, as would really like to pick up where he left off if I can, its been too long
littlewiggy

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 9:44 pm 
Post subject: Re: Ebay

TheSorter! wrote:
I so wish Ebay had some proper competition. I got a phone call from them recently warning me not to trade outside of their website. The guy warned me I could be kicked off for a week too. Who the hell do they think they are? No

I agree mate.
Sadly, until they get some serious competition, they'll continue to be a law unto themselves.

PhilWBA

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 9:44 pm 
Post subject:

Yep, i've had it as well.

Pity they don't give a toss about their failing website which lists UK sellers from time to time as international sellers and fob people off when they complain about it by saying "not enough people have complained".

websites - www.footballstickershop.com
www.footballcardsworld.com
littlewiggy

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 9:45 pm 
Post subject:

Dorking wrote:
I've not had it, sounds very draconian, without the message facility, wouldn't have been able to get the badges I have done off nadja, brummy dave an countless others. Have been able to do all sorts of private deals and make contact to obtain stuff that hasn't been listed etc

Big mistake by ebay IMO, guess they feel they must be missing out on all sorts of business

Have you got a direct contact method for nadja by the way? If so PM me, as would really like to pick up where he left off if I can, its been too long

PM on the way mate.

Dorking

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 10:10 pm 
Post subject:

Thanks, will let you know how I get on. Thank god for collectors forums like this one in particular, a real invaluable lifesaver sometimes.
Tynie Topics

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 10:11 pm 
Post subject:

I can't say I disagree with them. They facilitate you advertising items for sale (for free) on the basis they take a cut of your final selling price as a fee.

They are not there to provide free advertising to enable you to circumvent them and strike a private deal with no charge. If everyone did that there wouldn't be an ebay.
derby1884
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 10:36 pm 
Post subject:

Cripes, I just bought something on EBay off of someone I've traded with for over 20 years.
We exchanged "off-list" emails.

Am I up shit creek...???
Pete’s Picture Palace
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 10:40 pm 
Post subject:

Tynie Topics wrote:
I can't say I disagree with them. They facilitate you advertising items for sale (for free) on the basis they take a cut of your final selling price as a fee.

They are not there to provide free advertising to enable you to circumvent them and strike a private deal with no charge. If everyone did that there wouldn't be an ebay.

Maybe if they didn't rip everybody off at both ends of the transaction then people wouldn't be so keen to circumvent them. They've forced this action on themselves by their own greediness and short-sightedness.

Yes, thank God for this website (and one or two others) which must be so boring that the likes of davekatie keep coming back to see what's going on. Zzz indeed.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
Tynie Topics

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 10:50 pm 
Post subject:

Pete’s Picture Palace wrote:
Maybe if they didn't rip everybody off at both ends of the transaction then people wouldn't be so keen to circumvent them. They've forced this action on themselves by their own greediness and short-sightedness.

I just don't get this opinion that they rip anyone off, their charges are clearly stated and you bid/buy/sell on that basis. They are also cheaper than an auction house to sell so unless we level the greedy accusation at all auctioneers then ebay is a well priced option as far a live auctions are concerned, and as a buyer it's free to use unlike auctions.

Yes, a real competitor would be healthy but I can't see one over the horizon, and we'd all be a lot worse off if eBay disappeared.

As for "davekatie" he just can't stay away........zzzzz....... Laughing
littlewiggy

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 11:20 pm 
Post subject:

Pete’s Picture Palace wrote:
Tynie Topics wrote:

Yes, thank God for this website (and one or two others) which must be so boring that the likes of davekatie keep coming back to see what's going on. Zzz indeed.

This with a cherry on top ^^^

It's eBay's own unnecessary greed that forces (yep forces) people into trying to save a few bob here & there. Baffles me that there are some that still don't get it. But hey ho and all that. EBay are always right, it's their zillions of users that are clearly wrong here.

If eBay can't play fairly, then it's a bit rich them bleating when their users act likewise.

I'd recommend keeping a Word file of user names / email addresses from everybody you buy & sell with, as supplied on every Paypal invoice. It takes a second to update, and is invaluable when crossing paths with people again - which you do frequently when you collect & sell the same stuff.

Then whenever anybody you've dealt with bids or wins, drop them an email for a "Friends & Family" payment. You'd be amazed at how much you save for a minute's extra toil on the keyboard.

There's more than one way to skin a cat, as my old mam used to say.

roughyedz

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 12:30 am 
Post subject:

I got banned off E Bay ( used this name ) around 2 years ago now for asking people to send a cheque or pay using PayPal Friends ( after sending an e mail when the e mail addy of buyer used to paper on E Bay ). .I had a feedback of around 1600 or so . . I now have another account on there . . . I recently sold item and the chap opened a dispute after only 2 days after the sale . . He didn't even wait more than 7 days before leaving negative feedback and received a full refund . . What Could I do ? ? NOTHING AT ALL
Dorking

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 6:35 am 
Post subject:

In my case sometimes I am buying badges which aren't strictly legal (ie copyright breaches), so doing things off piste if preferable for the seller simply from a legal point of view, rather than avoiding ebay getting a fee

Other times I see a seller doing similar badges to what I am after, and I want to see if they could help me with what I am after

It's no different to going to a shop or market stall and asking for something they haven't got, but could they do it for you. If ebay can't see that, then they don't understand business and how customers (as well as sellers) work.
martino

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 7:54 am 
Post subject:

[quote="Tynie Topics
I just don't get this opinion that they rip anyone off, their charges are clearly stated and you bid/buy/sell on that basis. They are also cheaper than an auction house to sell so unless we level the greedy accusation at all auctioneers then ebay is a well priced option as far a live auctions are concerned, and as a buyer it's free to use unlike auctions.

Yes, a real competitor would be healthy but I can't see one over the horizon, and we'd all be a lot worse off if eBay disappeared.[/quote]

Agreed. Where else can you get access to a world-wide market of potential buyers from the comfort of your keyboard.
DefunctClubs

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 8:42 am 
Post subject:

You may want to view an item? so must be able to message seller. So therefore must be able to ask for a mobile number etc?
No deal?? Deal?? How do they know what you arrange there after!!
Load of tosh!
Tynie Topics

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 9:15 am 
Post subject:

DefunctClubs wrote:
You may want to view an item? so must be able to message seller. So therefore must be able to ask for a mobile number etc?
No deal?? Deal?? How do they know what you arrange there after!!
Load of tosh!

you can contact the seller through the message option.
Tynie Topics

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 9:38 am 
Post subject:

littlewiggy wrote:
This with a cherry on top ^^^

It's eBay's own unnecessary greed that forces (yep forces) people into trying to save a few bob here & there. Baffles me that there are some that still don't get it. But hey ho and all that. EBay are always right, it's their zillions of users that are clearly wrong here.

If eBay can't play fairly, then it's a bit rich them bleating when their users act likewise.

Nobody is “forced” to do anything, if you don’t like eBay or their charges, then you simply don’t use them. It baffles me why people think they are entitled to use their services then moan about them cracking down on users trying to circumvent their rules.

Surely the people doing the ripping-off and not playing fair are those who use eBay but seek to avoid paying what they are due. It’s the something for nothing culture, if everyone acted like that then there wouldn’t be an eBay, and we’d all be the poorer for that.
TheSorter!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 9:51 am 
Post subject: Ebay

I think Tynie Topics is an undercover Ebay spy!! Shocked
Tynie Topics

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 9:56 am 
Post subject: Re: Ebay

TheSorter! wrote:
I think Tynie Topics is an undercover Ebay spy!! Shocked

You're on the list Sherlock
| More
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Anything Goes Chit Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: