Football Programmes Centre

The Fight Of The Century?
AlbumAlbum   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   My Wants ListMy Wants List   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
The Fight Of The Century?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Queries About Football Programmes
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Flaming Pie

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 10:43 am 
Post subject: The Fight Of The Century?

Woke up this morning to find out that l had missed out on the greatest fight of all time.Where was publicity for this sensational bout? I hardly heard a peep about it on TV, radio or the newspapers.l would have willingly got up at 4am in the morning and paid my 50p if l had known it was on.lf Mayweather has a rematch against the lad from lreland ,l hope they publicise it a bit more. How about Geoff Boycott facing a few overs from former West Indian quickies, Wes Hall and Charlie Griffiths? They are all nearly 80, but i'm certain that it would make very interesting viewing!
Five and In

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 12:07 pm 

Flaming Pie

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 1:14 pm 

Hunter v Tenapenno Lee ( that's what Joe Mercer christened him). Francis, who was an expert diver, would win City something like ten penalties a season. Might have been Lee one pen? That bout , l agree, was top notch.Take a look at Keegan v Bremner ,Charity Shield 1974. Giles smacks Keegan, who ends up flat out on the turf. Keegan gets up in a daze and starts a fight with Bremner.Both got sent off,, Johnny Giles walks away Scot free.Apparently Shankly( his last game in charge) was laughing his head off when he spoke to the two of them in the dressing room. I don't know what Clough ( his first game in charge) made of it. l was there , first Wembley game. I don't think last night's 'Fight of the Century' was in the same league as those two scraps.
Five and In

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 1:19 pm 

I agree Flaming Pie - The Giles punch on Keegan was a beauty!

Bowyer v Dyer and Hales v Flanagan were pretty good too.
Rocky

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 1:51 pm 
Post subject:

Flaming Pie

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 1:57 pm 

Chile v ltaly 1962 World Cup.That's another corker.Football was much more interesting when it was combined with mixed martial arts. George Best , was he about 5ft 8in weighed in at 9 stone, flattening big Ronnie Yeats 6ft 10in weighing in at 14 stone .Perhaps he caught the Liverpool colossus off guard? Was this captured on film? Around 1968 is my guess on the date of that Old Trafford bout. Didn't Joe Baker get sent off for giving Ron Yeats a smack as well .Arsenal v Liverpool 1966? Looking at the size of Ron Yeats, he would be the last one you would tangle with.
Five and In

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 2:44 pm 

OK, it's not the Queensbury Rules, but here's a "slightly" irate Diego Maradona

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LY8MkxQLQjY
Pete’s Picture Palace
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 3:02 pm 
Post subject:

Gary Sprake v Bobby Gould. Gould went down in one.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
| More
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Queries About Football Programmes All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: