Football Programmes Centre

Sporting Memorys 8th & 9th August Sale
AlbumAlbum   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   My Wants ListMy Wants List   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Sporting Memorys 8th & 9th August Sale
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Upcoming Sporting Auctions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
se20blue

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 5:47 pm 
Post subject:

SportingMemorys wrote:
http://www.sportingmemorys.com/

Hi all,
The results for my auction 8th & 9th August are online.

Regards
Sporting Memorys

1468 lots
640 unsold lots
828 sold lots
RoddyN

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 6:44 pm 
Post subject:

Seems a high number of unsolds.
cardiff55

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 1:35 pm 
Post subject:

Rocky wrote:
Auchinleckian wrote:
The guide price is most usually decided by the seller, not the auctioneer, unless it's material coming from a non collector's source.

Ah…and now I understand how the rarer individual Middlesbrough home programmes from the late 50’s & early 60’s have been winkled out and given some very high estimates. Still learning after all these years.

I saw these and the one v Cardiff in 62/3 I think went for £160 plus all the fees etc.

I baulked at the estimate of c£140 and thought that was too high. I sold two about 2 years go for £100 and £60. Maybe it goes to show either I know nothing or people are prepared to pay more at auction?

Tony
gatfb

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 3:23 pm 
Post subject:

No wonder so many unsold when the estimate on many items seems way to high and unlike other auctions they are not prepared to come very much away from the estimate.

I've seen the same batch of tickets run through this auction a few times now and never sold which tells its own story.
Pete’s Picture Palace
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 3:49 pm 
Post subject:

I was at the Wednesday auction from start (12 noon) for 2-3 hours, in that time the lots went from No 424 to No 700 (ie 276 lots) and in that time 2 lots (TWO) were unsold.

One gentleman's lifetime collection went through (Lots 424 to 500), a lot of Birmingham City but a large general collection too, and they ALL sold, not all at the estimated price but quite a few a long way in excess of it.

I would guess the seller would have been thrilled at the outcome.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
se20blue

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 3:57 pm 
Post subject:

Pete’s Picture Palace
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 4:13 pm 
Post subject:

I write the prices down when the hammer goes down. Been to a few auctions so I thought I knew how it worked.

The 2 I noted as being unsold were lots 546 and lot 584 - oh and there was also lot 638 which was a bunch of auction catalogues that Tim Davidson made a joke about - they didn't sell - so that's 3 lots. As far as I am aware every other lot when I was in the auction room sold with the hammer going down. Seemed to me they made it quite clear when one was unsold and I noted it accordingly.

Just compared my notes with the list you attached. Prices agree, the 3 not sold I show above agree, but many other discrepancies where I have prices and they show unsold.

Surely the hammer doesn't go down if it doesn't sell? Seems clear enough on Flog It!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
Auchinleckian
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 5:14 pm 
Post subject:

I saw the prices afterwards and there weere some big ones noted, but I was amazed at the amount of unsold lots there. Must be disheartening for all those concerned with putting auctions on everywhere.

I know if I ever put stuff into auction I want it to sell and that's why I always have very reasonable guide prices attached. I simply don't understand why folk have such high prices, sometimes for totally nondescript items when they're obviously not going to sell. Is it a mass testing of the makret exercise for some folk?
SportingMemorys

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 5:50 pm 
Post subject:

I hope that this reply covers many of the points that have been raised.

The setting of estimates is ultimately the responsibility of the auctioneer; however this can depend on the vendor.

1) If it is from a collector they will generally dictate the price, quite often the vendor states 'I would like to get back what I paid for the item' (this of course does not take in consideration the market condition at the time of purchase). Prices of many big match programmes have declined over recent years. I can guarantee that the collector always wants a high price for his items.

2) If the item is from the general public, then usually the price is agreed based upon my original valuation quoted

So in order to comment o the August Auction more in-depth analysis should be made, but briefly part one of the football sale included the collections, bulk lots etc., over 90% of the items sold. The second half included single items and as such, the collectors seem to make a decision to take or leave the item. It should be noted that on many occasions the top estimate was exceeded.

With regard to the unsold items, any item that is offered is given a maximum of 2 sales to sell, or returned to the vendor. So the comment about the same tickets being offered a few times is not correct, please advise me which ones, because this is not possible. (However of course different vendors might consign very similar lot(s)).

DURING THE SALE - my auctioneers will state the following when selling lots

WITH ME - This means that the Auctioneer has a commission bid on the book (however he does not know the auto bids left with the-saleroom directly, until the lot opens).

TOP OF THE BOOK - Indication that this bid was the top commission bid

AGAINST YOU - indicating that you are bidding against a reserve

THE HAMMER IS USED - to indicate that bidding on the lot is closed

The next day after the sale all the invoices are raised and sent out. We automatically quote (based on weight) for Special Delivery, Insured Post, with a maximum charge of £2 packing.

If the quote is too high, then the client can request, standard postage, all we ask for is an email stating absolution to Sporting Memorys of any risk to the loss of uninsured items. With many large, heavy lots, we can either personally deliver if possible (at no cost), the items can be collected from our office, or indeed a courier of your own choice can be used.

IN SUMMARY...

The August sale was a good success, with vendors happy with the results, not only with the quantity of sold but with the prices realised. Hopefully the buyers were happy with their purchases.

Robert Adcock
Sporting Memorys
Managing Director
SportingMemorys

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 10:28 am 
Post subject:

http://www.sportingmemorys.com/

Updated sales results are now on the above website link.

Regards
Sporting Memorys
| More
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Upcoming Sporting Auctions All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: