Football Programmes Centre

anyone recognise this 1949 Arsenal autograph ?
AlbumAlbum   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   My Wants ListMy Wants List   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
anyone recognise this 1949 Arsenal autograph ?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Autograph Collectors Section
View previous topic :: View next topic  
goonerboy

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 12:21 pm 
Post subject: anyone recognise this 1949 Arsenal autograph ?

I picked up a programme with a few Arsenal autographs on the back. I recognise Compton, Swinden, Logie, MacAulay and Barnes but there is one signature bottom right which I can't work out. Any ideas from anyone ? thank you
Pete’s Picture Palace
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 1:24 pm 
Post subject:

Just looks like SAILOR so maybe a nickname of someone who was in the Navy in the war? Just a thought.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
Five and In

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 1:53 pm 
Post subject: anyone recognise this 1949 Arsenal autograph ?

Doesn't tie in with any of the Arsenal squads from that period.

Who were the opponents? Could be one of them maybe?
goonerboy

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 2:10 pm 
Post subject:

I did some googling and couldn't find any obvious player either. The programme is for a charity darts match against a local pub team so if it's an opponent then a legend only in his own backyard. Thanks for taking the time anyway.
Ruud Van Driver

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 5:09 pm 
Post subject:

Hi Goonerboy,
Not going to help answer your question but thought if you haven't already seen it you might like this post from my Twitter page concerning Arsenal playing darts in 1948 and 1949, including a derby v Spurs

https://t.co/bXpL9Vi4Gh
goonerboy

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 5:40 pm 
Post subject:

That's superb. I loved the auction bit at the end and the live Cockerel in the plain brown bag.
GreatBarrWolf

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 9:07 pm 
Post subject:

Ruud Van Driver wrote:
Hi Goonerboy,
Not going to help answer your question but thought if you haven't already seen it you might like this post from my Twitter page concerning Arsenal playing darts in 1948 and 1949, including a derby v Spurs

https://t.co/bXpL9Vi4Gh

Evening Ruud. Just looked at you twitter feed and I am intrigued by the header picture you have. Is it the old main stand at Fellows Park, Walsall?
Ruud Van Driver

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 12:10 pm 
Post subject:

Pleased you liked it Goonerboy, from a different world isn't it!

Hi GBW - Yes indeed, it is Fellows Park, great spot. I was born in Great Barr (Foden Road) and bred in Walsall. Many a game watched from that stand with my late Dad, very happy memories from the mid-late seventies

You probably already know but just in case you don't, if you search... @MemorabiliaMall wwfc ...on Twitter it will bring up any picture or item of memorabilia that I've posted on your club. 99% of what I feature is owned and not simply grabbed from Google images, not the case of course with a number of football sites Thumbs Up
Fishy

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 1:25 pm 
Post subject:

It certainly looks like Sailor.

There were some items from the Sailor Brown collection at auction earlier this year:

833 MILLWALL 44-45 Album page from the Sailor Brown collection , Millwall 44-45, team that reached the War Cup Final South at Wembley. Brown and Bartram guested from Charlton, other signatures are Dudley , Fisher, Ludford, Smith, Tyler, Brown T, Williams and Jinks. 10 signatures. Millwall lost 2-0 to Chelsea. Good £45-50 - 40

839 MILLWALL / WATFORD 44-45 Two album pages from the Sailor Brown collection, Millwall 44/5 ( 10 signatures including guests Briscoe (Rangers) and Brown (Hearts) , and Watford 44/45 (9 signatures) including Betmead, Brown, Williams and Millburn. Pencil signatures. Good £30-35 - 32

It looks like he was a Charlton player - does that fit?
48/9 Newport.
49/0 Walsall; Exeter.
50/1 Port Vale.
51/2 Port Vale 1/5.
52/3 Swindon.
Fishy

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 1:31 pm 
Post subject:

Forget my comment about Charlton - here is a link to his obituary:

http://www.independent.co.uk/n.....29359.html

Villa or Gorleston?
48/9 Newport.
49/0 Walsall; Exeter.
50/1 Port Vale.
51/2 Port Vale 1/5.
52/3 Swindon.
GreatBarrWolf

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 4:27 pm 
Post subject:

Ruud Van Driver wrote:
Pleased you liked it Goonerboy, from a different world isn't it!

Hi GBW - Yes indeed, it is Fellows Park, great spot. I was born in Great Barr (Foden Road) and bred in Walsall. Many a game watched from that stand with my late Dad, very happy memories from the mid-late seventies

You probably already know but just in case you don't, if you search... @MemorabiliaMall wwfc ...on Twitter it will bring up any picture or item of memorabilia that I've posted on your club. 99% of what I feature is owned and not simply grabbed from Google images, not the case of course with a number of football sites Thumbs Up

Ruud - I stood on the terrace to the right of that stand adjacent the players tunnel throughout the early seventies - the smell on linament oil permeating from the dressing room. It was Walsall one week and Villa Park the next on the old Witton Lane terrace. Farther was a Walsall fans, uncle a Villa Fan - probably tells you why I've supported Wolves since the mid-seventies!!!!
goonerboy

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 5:12 pm 
Post subject:

Fishy wrote:
Forget my comment about Charlton - here is a link to his obituary:

http://www.independent.co.uk/n.....29359.html

Villa or Gorleston?

That's an interesting suggestion and certainly he could have been a guest as he likely knew some of the other players having been London based before Villa. However looking at the autograph pages you referenced, on those pages he signed as Bert Brown rather than his nickname. Thanks for the pointer though as it's possible.
Ruud Van Driver

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 3:03 pm 
Post subject:

GreatBarrWolf wrote:
Ruud - I stood on the terrace to the right of that stand adjacent the players tunnel throughout the early seventies - the smell on linament oil permeating from the dressing room. It was Walsall one week and Villa Park the next on the old Witton Lane terrace. Farther was a Walsall fans, uncle a Villa Fan - probably tells you why I've supported Wolves since the mid-seventies!!!!

Small world GBW! Any memory I have seems to involve Alan Buckley, great little player he was. I've put a 1968 'Focus On' Walsall on my Twitter page today including a wonderful picture of Fellows Park that I'm sure will stir some more memories for you
| More
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Autograph Collectors Section All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: