Football Programmes Centre

Pirate Programmes
AlbumAlbum   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   My Wants ListMy Wants List   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Pirate Programmes

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Shirt Collecting/Other Football Memorabilia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TheSorter!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 12:14 am 
Post subject: Pirate Programmes

Are there any pirate programmes that are actually worth anything?
New Forest

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 11:15 am 
Post subject:

Interesting Question. I only attend Non-League games these days, so are Pirate Programmes still around? If so I suppose pirate programme sellers should be shunned to stop the practice. Mind you with Wembley Cup Final Programmes costing £10, perhaps there would still be a market.

I remember in the late fifties going to White Hart Lane and walking from Northumberland Station and they had pirate programme sellers standing near the station waiting to catch unsuspecting supporters.

I actually got one simply because they had sold out of official programme on that side of White Hart Lane and I did not have time to start searching.

Copies will never reach the same price as official ones unless there was a particular reason. I have one of the 1952 Amateur Cup Final and the pirate one has Dennis Hall starting in place of Ron Horsley who was doubtful in the official programme. Hall scored the winner late into extra time, and the only Australian to do so. To his family it might be worth a kings ransom.
Tynie Topics

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 11:43 am 
Post subject:

Dennis Hall - who did he play for, any further info on him?

Scotland v England/England v Scotland pirates from the 40/50's can sometimes go for more than the official programme.

Modern day pirates are not worth the paper they are written on unless they are sold at the venue then they can be classed as a genuine souvenir of the match.

However, some people do still buy them if there's no programme, even though they've never been in the country let alone available at the match (Israel and Serbia appear to be popular producers)
manchesterunitedman1

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 11:45 am 
Post subject: Re: Pirate Programmes

TheSorter! wrote:
Are there any pirate programmes that are actually worth anything?

Absolutely, especially where Manchester United is concerned from say the pre-1960 era in particular.

Here are a few I have uploaded so far, some of which are worth considerably more than the original programme!

https://flic.kr/s/aHsjfvtCFz

Wave

To see 19,900++ original items relating to Newton Heath & Manchester Utd 1878-2023 then visit www.flickr.com/photos/manchesterunitedman1/sets to see entire uploads.

1000's more images to be uploaded, to view the latest uploads go to www.flickr.com/photos/manchesterunitedman1/

Click any images 21 MILLION views to date to the Flickr site since 2007 growing every day. New Uploads weekly. Thank You to one & all for visiting!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
derby1884
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 9:44 pm 
Post subject:

Some of the Amateur Cup Final ones make decent money when they appear - not often.

I have 5 or 6 from the 40s/50s on Flickr

https://www.flickr.com/photos/derby1884/albums/72157631891639793
Dorking

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 10:13 pm 
Post subject:

I'm not a massive programme collector, and pirate's even less so, however I do have the pirate version for the 1962 friendly, Crystal Palace v Real Madrid.

It's a terrible programme, 4 pages (so a piece of folded paper basically) but I love it, as the official one is probably the most common Palace programme and still sooo easy to get for very little (they were given away free on the night as the ticket price was more than your normal game back then). The pirate doesn't come up very often so I think of it as being a bit more special! It is also worth more than the official one!
New Forest

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 10:29 pm 
Post subject:

Tynie Topics wrote:

Scotland v England/England v Scotland pirates from the 40/50's can sometimes go for more than the official programme.

Dennis Hall played for Walthamstow Avenue. That's all I know.
pompeypete
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 8:56 am 
Post subject:

A pirate programme for the Postponed match v arsenal at fratton park.

so a double wammy

value..........next to nothing.

Flickr pages in the process of closing......

Happy to forward any info on Pompey...
Footyfan

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 2:49 pm 
Post subject: PIRATE PROGRAMMES

I have been adding PIRATE issues (28 so far) from the 60s/70s to my collection for quite some time and have picked up some interesting issues. There appears to have been a couple of 'big players' in that era Starkey (Battersea) and Nicholls (Hammersmith) with both often producing pirate issue for the same game e.g. Crystal Palace v Leeds Utd 1964/65 FA Cup 6th Rd.

I think they make a welcome addition to a pre 1975 collection. However, I do not even attempt to collect the pirate programmes now found across Europe when British teams play in european competitions.

I can tell you that my club Leeds Utd changed from publishing the Token inside the programme to placing it on the front page in January 1965 after a pirate issue (Starkey) was found being sold at the Leeds v Chelsea game in January 1965.

However, from a historical perspective Leeds Utd by placing the Token on the front cover of the official programme subsequently resulted in 1000s of Leeds Home programmes from 1965-1973 being rendered sub-standard as tokens were cut out of the front page.

Last edited by Footyfan on Mon Aug 14, 2017 11:28 am; edited 1 time in total
manchesterunitedman1

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 10:13 pm 
Post subject:

Tynie Topics wrote:

Modern day pirates are not worth the paper they are written on unless they are sold at the venue then they can be classed as a genuine souvenir of the match.

However, some people do still buy them if there's no programme, even though they've never been in the country let alone available at the match (Israel and Serbia appear to be popular producers)

Just sent you a PM-interested to hear your view on this matter-ok Thumbs Up

To see 19,900++ original items relating to Newton Heath & Manchester Utd 1878-2023 then visit www.flickr.com/photos/manchesterunitedman1/sets to see entire uploads.

1000's more images to be uploaded, to view the latest uploads go to www.flickr.com/photos/manchesterunitedman1/

Click any images 21 MILLION views to date to the Flickr site since 2007 growing every day. New Uploads weekly. Thank You to one & all for visiting!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
se20blue

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2020 9:54 am 
Post subject:

manchesterunitedman1

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2020 10:01 am 
Post subject:

se20blue wrote:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/alvex10/m.html?item=324158444732&hash=item4b795954bc%3Ag%3AJroAAOSwnWFes7r0&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2562

Just guessing I would say all 623 items listed are "pirates"

"Fan Edition" good use of 2 words-says nothing but means everything to those that know!

Whoever is producing has a hell of an inventory for sure.

Wave

sharrowblade
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2020 10:25 am 
Post subject:

se20blue wrote:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/alvex10/m.html?item=324158444732&hash=item4b795954bc%3Ag%3AJroAAOSwnWFes7r0&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2562

Just guessing I would say all 623 items listed are "pirates"

Well...most of them, I would think that the Dynamo Kiev home programmes are genuine, no need to copy them you would think.

the half a dozen Sheffield United ones are all pirates.

A good friend of mine, bought a couple, said they were quite good, he claims it fills a gap.

I find it quite bizarre, you are just encouraging it to continue, and he'd be the first to moan if he spent a lot of money on an older programme and then found it, that it wasn't genuine.

I'm not a fan of pirate issues from any era, the older one's are generally poor and with regards to the modern European ones, I'm surprised that the clubs and Uefa allow these people to trade as they are using the crests of the clubs on items they clearly have no agreement to use and they would have copyright.

Notice that the half dozen Chelsea programmes (apart from one, which is official) haven't got the Chelsea logo on, I believe Chelsea are very pro-active in this area and will come down like a ton of bricks on anyone.
| More
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Shirt Collecting/Other Football Memorabilia All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: