Football Programmes Centre

1897 FA Cup final reprint
AlbumAlbum   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   My Wants ListMy Wants List   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
1897 FA Cup final reprint

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Rare Football Programmes and Prices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kvaratschelia

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 9:47 am 
Post subject: 1897 FA Cup final reprint

Someone's been kippered. A Jackdaw reprint of the 1897 FA Cup final just sold on ebay for £500, the only bid.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1897.....2275842995

You can tell it is from the Jackdaw - a collector album published in 1971 - because of the number 9 printed at the top right of the back.
Pete’s Picture Palace
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 10:37 am 
Post subject:

Seller says this

I purchased this item in good faith, unsure of authenticity but was purchased as genuine .

I can not put any guarantee to this item so please do the necessary checks before purchase to make sure it is what you want.

No returns.

Any questions please ask .

So more fool the buyer really.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
Kvaratschelia

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 10:48 am 
Post subject:

"More fool the buyer" - I agree. I just thought I'd put this out there as a warning, in case it comes up again.

You can buy the entire Jackdaw pack on ebay right now for under £20.
Pete’s Picture Palace
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 10:58 am 
Post subject:

Yes, good to highlight it. I've never heard of Jackdaw packs.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
Flaming Pie

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 2:19 pm 
Post subject: 1887 FA Cup final reprint

It looks like the Jackdaw pack to look out for is their JFK assassination pack .l think it sells for well over £100. I picked up one for a few pence at a jumble sale ( this was pre carboots). I thought it looked interesting , but not of much value.Only 1,500 produced apparently.When l found out that Len Deighton ( he went on to write some famous espionage books) had written the booklet inside the pack, l wrote to him and asked would he sign it for me. He signed it and enclosed a few thoughts on the mystery surrounding the assassination of JFK that still exists.A few years later,.l shoved it into some auction and l think it went for close on £200.l did tend to collect some weird stuff a few years ago!
Flaming Pie

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 7:02 pm 

Just checked. Forget the £200 for the 1960s Jackdaw JFK signed by Len Deighton.lt only went for £80. With auction costs l probably made the 25p l paid for it!
Dorking

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 7:35 pm 
Post subject:

Can someone briefly explain this Jackdaw publication please? Seen the 1971 Jackday football book on ebay, and no inclination to try and scam anyone, just curious about the publication and why it would have such a good quality looking reprint of an 1897 match card.

What was the purpose of the book or books? And why did they do a JFK one? Was it an 'interesting publication for boys' or something, back in the day???

Must admit never heard of it and am curious.
Kvaratschelia

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 8:09 pm 
Post subject:

Jackdaw was the 1970s equivalent of Memorabilia Packs. They produced an extensive range of folders (well over 100 titles) for educational purposes, covering everything from Shakespeare to the French Revolution, with reproductions of contemporary material, and a printed guide with notes on each item. All quite entertaining stuff, and you can still pick most of them up fairly easily and cheaply.

The problem for football collectors is that the Soccer title contained stuff which is not that easy to distinguish from originals, and I have seen several items over the years which (usually unintentionally) the sellers believe are genuine antiques.

The specific items from the packs to watch out for are: Queen's Park v Wanderers match card of 1875, Pilgrims FC membership card and fixtures 1877-78, and the FA Cup final of 1897.

Now, if these are in their original state as issued by Jackdaw, they have printed at the foot of the front of each item: Jackdaw No 104 Soccer, Printed in Great Britain. Hence fairly obvious it is a reprint.

What has happened with the item sold on ebay is that this tell-tale text has been trimmed off the foot of the card, which has also been 'stressed' to make it look old - clearly a deliberate attempt to deceive. The only other thing to look for is the number 9 at the top right of the back of the card, as every item within the pack was numbered.
Flaming Pie

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 8:16 pm 

Hi Dorking,, if you type in Jackdaw JFK it explains the pack more fully than l ever could.l have never seen any football ones, The JFK pack was in it's own way quite superb. There was a full size repro of the gun, the Warren Report on the assassination, all type off memorabilia relating to the incident.The fact that an acclaimed writer such as Len Deighton was involved, tells you that it was pretty high quality stuff. They were sold in a folder.lf the football ones were similar, they were probably of a very high standard.
Dorking

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 10:17 pm 
Post subject:

Thank you both, really helpful to get an understanding. You expect repros of the 1966 World Cup Final programme, and so on, but not unreasonably 1971 was rather a long time ago, so it would have slipped off many people's radars, or not even been on them.

These reproduction memorabilia sets are still made from time to time, so more people will think they've got something valuable in the future too, sadly.

Appreciate the explanations.
Driver8

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 7:42 pm 
Post subject:

If the purchaser subsequently discovered that the item they had bought wasn’t genuine and complained via ebay would the vendor’s disclaimer (as quoted below) protect them ?

I purchased this item in good faith, unsure of authenticity but was purchased as genuine .

I can not put any guarantee to this item so please do the necessary checks before purchase to make sure it is what you want.

No returns.

Any questions please ask .

| More
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Rare Football Programmes and Prices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: