Football Programmes Centre

Punk Rock advert In football programmes.
AlbumAlbum   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   My Wants ListMy Wants List   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Punk Rock advert In football programmes.
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Queries About Football Programmes
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hydemaine

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 12:35 pm 
Post subject: Punk Rock advert In football programmes.

During the winter of 1976 the Sex Pistols management took out a number

of adverts in various clubs programmes advertising their upcoming first ever tour of the U.K.

My club Manchester City had this one in the game v Derby County.

A run of the mill home programme holds more interest for pop/rock memorabilia collectors and some of these have gone for more than would be expected.
The 'Pistols' management team placed strategic adverts as to where or near where the gigs were taking place.

I think there maybe a Torquay United one as it's the nearest football town to Exeter where a gig was taking place.

Does anyone know of others ? other than City and Torquay all from the same weekend I believe?

Last edited by hydemaine on Wed Aug 09, 2017 2:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
Five and In

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 1:55 pm 

This was answered in a thread about six months ago, but I cannot find it.
Somebody will remember the title I'm sure and several matches were listed.

I sold the one you are showing last year for about £35 if my memory is working correctly.
I also sold the Ipswich v Liverpool from the same weekend for similar money.

There is also Bristol City v Leeds and you are correct in saying there is a Torquay one Hyde, but I cannot recall the opponents.
hydemaine

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 2:06 pm 
Post subject:

Thanks 5 and in, sorry I must have missed the earlier thread. Do you know if the Torquay one also came with a separate poster advert insert in the programme?
Five and In

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 2:16 pm 

Not sure Hyde, but I'm sure that answer is in the previous thread.
I wish I could remember the title of the thread as it's bugging me now lol
Maidonian

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 2:18 pm 
Post subject:

It's in "Get a valuation here" and the thread is entitled "Torquay v Southend 1976/77 League Value?"
DonQuixoteII

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 2:18 pm 
Post subject:

From memory, the Torquay prog came with a single sheet tip-in,
advertising Johnny and the rest of his little rascals' gig in the locale...
DonQuixoteII

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 2:22 pm 
Post subject:

hydemaine

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 3:24 pm 
Post subject:

Thanks for the link Don Quixote ...fascinating reading back the comments as it developed from the Torquay programme being valued at 50pence to an offer being made for £50 Smile
Five and In

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 4:57 pm 

hydemaine wrote:
Thanks for the link Don Quixote ...fascinating reading back the comments as it developed from the Torquay programme being valued at 50pence to an offer being made for £50 Smile

Well done DonQuixote on finding the original thread.

Although I remembered the thread, I had forgotten what a great read it was. Clap
morgan1927

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 12:17 am 
Post subject: punk programmes

there is actually five collectable programmes with the punk adverts four from the sex pistols and another with the dammed they sell better on the punk music sites with the four sex pistol ones going for two hundred pounds in a frame .the torquay programme was also sold in America where it went for a lot
Flaming Pie

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 10:32 am 
Post subject: Punk Rock advert in programmes

This is interesting stuff.l remember having a programme ( now long gone) l think 1963,,or 1964-65 season ?, with an advertisement for a pop show coming soon to the local area. It was for the Beatles show .l'm pretty certain that it was for an lpswitch Town game, with the Beatles advertisement inside. I can't remember seeing any others, but did Blackpool FC , for example , have ads for Hendrix, Floyd, the Stones, the Who, playing at the Blackpool Opera house,,1967-70 era..Did other teams programmes have ads for bands playing at local theatres they played at in GB during that era ? or the 1970's? If they did, does this increase the value?
Flaming Pie

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 10:34 am 

This is interesting stuff.l remember having a programme ( now long gone) l think 1963,,or 1964-65 season ?, with an advertisement for a pop show coming soon to the local area. It was for the Beatles show .l'm pretty certain that it was for an lpswitch Town game, with the Beatles advertisement inside. I can't remember seeing any others, but did Blackpool FC , for example , have ads for Hendrix, Floyd, the Stones, the Who, playing at the Blackpool Opera house,,1967-70 era..Did other teams programmes have ads for bands playing at local theatres they played at in GB during that era ? or the 1970's? If they did, does this increase the value?
derby1884
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 8:49 pm 
Post subject:

75/76 Oxford v Hull had a big spread, including full page photo, on Starry Eyed & Laughing who were about to play the Manor Ground.

I don't much bother with any pop/rock music after about 1973 but they weren't too bad. Well, you can't go wrong if you use a Rickenbacker guitar, eh?

I doubt whether this piece of useless trivia will see you all hunting in your cupboards for a copy of the programme.

Fairly certain the Man City v Derby issue had copies both with and without the Pistols advert.

Punk rock, UK style, was so like the garage rock many mid-West bands had issued on obscure labels 10 years earlier.....yet the British media were convinced this was a "new" phenomena. Well, maybe the fashions and the haircuts....but certainly not the music!
Flaming Pie

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 9:59 am 

Hi derby, lpswitch, where did l get that t from! I was in New Brighton the other day , taking a look at where their ground once stood.There is still a football pitch there.The Beatles played New Brighton 27 times . If you can find any New Brighton programmes, from the early 1960s that have any ads for Tower Ballroom Beatles gigs,, that must add something to the value.Saying that, I don't recall Tranmere Rovers having any ads for their numerous Birkenhead gigs. I suppose they were really not that famous at the time.
derby1884
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 9:39 pm 
Post subject:

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that "Merseybeat" was confined to much smaller clubs than the Tower Ballroom. Too small to be worth paying out for a programme advert.
Until late 1962, when The Beatles, who'd already been turned down by Decca, returned from Hamburg having recorded those half dozen tracks with Tony Sheridan. Brian Epstein saw them, loved the sound and the look, persuaded George Martin to let them record "Love Me Do" (as opposed to GM's option "How Do You Do It") and the whole genre took off. Key point - there was never that "in between" stage....one minute Merseybeat was confined to those who knew their way around Mathew Street and the like - next thing it had taken over the country!

Trouble is that the Merseybeat market was so very different from the football market. For one thing, 90% of the concert audience were female and unlikely to read a New Brighton, Everton or Liverpool programme!

Just about everything The Beatles ever did, said, wrote or were mentioned in has been recorded for posterity somewhere. I can't ever recall any advert for an upcoming concert ever being referred to in that manner. Only "Beatle" mention I can think of in a programme from that era is one or two of the Manchester City ones from that era when the records played at half-time would be listed.

Pop music and football programmes have never really combined in any meaningful way ever - Hampton's cover with the groovy font in the late 60s is an exception but even that's only an indirect relationship!

Flaming Pie

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 10:11 pm 

Hi derby, 10 Nov 1961.Over 4,000 packed into the New Brighton Tower Ballroom to see the Beatles and other Merseybeat groups. This was the largest attendance ever in Britain for a Beatles concert. They appeared at the Tower 27 times.The only Merseyside venue they appeared more times at was the Cavern( l've just nicked all this info off goggle!) True story.My older brother saw them at the Tower and got their autographs.Remember they were only too happy to sign for anyone during the early .days. Some of his mates started ridiculing him on the bus home ' Only girls collect autographs' was the general theme. He ripped it up and chucked it out of the bus window. What would that be worth today!
derby1884
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 11:17 pm 
Post subject: Re: Punk Rock advert in programmes

Flaming Pie wrote:
Hi derby, 10 Nov 1961.Over 4,000 packed into the New Brighton Tower Ballroom to see the Beatles and other Merseybeat groups. This was the largest attendance ever in Britain for a Beatles concert. They appeared at the Tower 27 times.The only Merseyside venue they appeared more times at was the Cavern( l've just nicked all this info off goggle!) True story.My older brother saw them at the Tower and got their autographs.Remember they were only too happy to sign for anyone during the early .days. Some of his mates started ridiculing him on the bus home ' Only girls collect autographs' was the general theme. He ripped it up and chucked it out of the bus window. What would that be worth today!

Beware Google! What you've been given there is the *capacity* of the New Brighton Tower for concerts. In 1961, they weren't even the most popular band in Liverpool, let alone Merseyside Smile

I think this concert had a crowd of around 1,000 on the night.

Don't mention Beatle autographs to me!.......i had a set from their ABC Theatre gig in Birmingham 1963 complete with Lennon message to fan. Somehow, somewhere, down the years, they've got lost. I suspect they're in a book somewhere in here having been used by someone as a bookmark but who knows? I paid a goodly sum for them back in 1982 though.
derby1884
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 11:20 pm 
Post subject:

PS - "Flaming Pie" - an underrated LP of McCartney's.

Got it on vinyl but haven't listened to it in years. Will do tomorrow morning!
Flaming Pie

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 9:53 am 

Hi derby, l did know the promoter of the Operation Big Beat show at the Tower . Sam Leach ( sadly now departed) He told me that he counted them as they came in ! To me the Beatles left all the other Liverpool bands standing. Mind you ,,the Searchers in the early days released some great singles .l never saw Cavern favourites ,the Big Three( l was too young), but people who did say they were like an early version of Cream .Their sound was never really captured on vinyl. Never had a set of Beatles autographs, but did manage to pick up Queens last vinyl LP at some local sale.On it's own , not worth much.When l looked inside, it was fully signed by Freddie and the lads .lt then got better, the sleeve holding the disc was also signed.l thought it must be a phoney, but had it checked out by a recognised expert and it was genuine. The two separate lots sold for quite a lot. I think they ended up in America.
MATT RUSH

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 11:28 am 
Post subject:

I was at the Roy Orbison/Beatles Show in Leeds in 1963, sold my ticket stub(in not very good condition) for £99.99 on eBay The Beatles were not even top of the bill, couldn't hear them for the screaming.
| More
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Queries About Football Programmes All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: