Football Programmes Centre

Rebuilding a collection
AlbumAlbum   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   My Wants ListMy Wants List   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Rebuilding a collection
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Queries About Football Programmes
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dorking

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 9:08 pm 
Post subject: Re: Rebuilding a collection

Five and In wrote:
littlewiggy wrote:

Indeed I think this is best summed up by those times when we finally get hold of something we've wanted for a long, long time.
There's barely time to savour the glorious satisfaction of having got it, perhaps a day at most maybe, before our attentions shift inevitably onto the next "must have" item. It's insatiable at times, our desire to collect.

Hence we love our footy memorabilia for sure, but it's also the rush and enjoyment of collecting itself that we're all addicted to.

On this note I have to confess to taking delivery yesterday of two seats from the Shelf Side at White Hart Lane. One Blue and One White as I obviously had to have both.

Currently on the coffee table in my living room as I have no idea what I am going to do with them!

It probably also explains why my missus has been looking at me like I am an alien for the last 24 hours. Laughing

I have Palace ones from when they replaced the lovely old wooden seats in our 1924 stand with yukky plastic seats. Had to have the wooden relics! Ended up with a row set up inside my Palace shed. Couldn'tleave them outside in the rain could I!!

littlewiggy

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 9:41 pm 
Post subject:

That's a great shed Dorking.

My old mam has one in her garden (minus the Palace seats), which she calls her "summer house."
She gets real narky when I call it her shed.

Very Happy

https://www.flickr.com/photos/newport-county-badges/albums
Five and In

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 6:59 am 

Dorking wrote:
Five and In wrote:
littlewiggy wrote:

Indeed I think this is best summed up by those times when we finally get hold of something we've wanted for a long, long time.
There's barely time to savour the glorious satisfaction of having got it, perhaps a day at most maybe, before our attentions shift inevitably onto the next "must have" item. It's insatiable at times, our desire to collect.

Hence we love our footy memorabilia for sure, but it's also the rush and enjoyment of collecting itself that we're all addicted to.

On this note I have to confess to taking delivery yesterday of two seats from the Shelf Side at White Hart Lane. One Blue and One White as I obviously had to have both.

Currently on the coffee table in my living room as I have no idea what I am going to do with them!

It probably also explains why my missus has been looking at me like I am an alien for the last 24 hours. Laughing

I have Palace ones from when they replaced the lovely old wooden seats in our 1924 stand with yukky plastic seats. Had to have the wooden relics! Ended up with a row set up inside my Palace shed. Couldn'tleave them outside in the rain could I!!

Great shed Dorking.

Plans are forming in my head now regarding my Shelf Side Seats
Sherlock
Dorking

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 7:44 am 
Post subject:

Whats the difference between a summer house and a shed anyway? A weathervane on top? (cockerel for Five and in)

When I did that shed out, I had grand plans to really go to town with it, however for security reasons and reasons of sheds being potentially cold or damp I never went the whole hog and so still keep my collections safely in the house.

What is in the shed is purely decorative and mostly duplicate and very low value stuff (and the seats are well screwed down in case anyone tries to take them which I doubt)

I'd love to have a turnstile if they ever rebuild the main stand though
Pete’s Picture Palace
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 1:09 pm 
Post subject:

Hope you take your mucky boots off when you go into your shed!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
littlewiggy

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 2:01 pm 
Post subject:

Dorking wrote:
Whats the difference between a summer house and a shed anyway? A weathervane on top? (cockerel for Five and in)

When I did that shed out, I had grand plans to really go to town with it, however for security reasons and reasons of sheds being potentially cold or damp I never went the whole hog and so still keep my collections safely in the house.

What is in the shed is purely decorative and mostly duplicate and very low value stuff (and the seats are well screwed down in case anyone tries to take them which I doubt)

You'll know when you've had thieves Dorking.

The shed will be gone and the Palace stuff will still be there.

Laughing Laughing Laughing

https://www.flickr.com/photos/newport-county-badges/albums
Tynie Topics

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 4:23 pm 
Post subject:

Dorking wrote:

Hearts recently auctioned off the 1914 iron turnstiles from the (now demolished) main stand.

They looked great, most made £1,000 each, but they took at least 8 people to move one, or ideally a forklift! Two now sit outside the front door of a sports bar near Tynecastle.
Dorking

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 7:10 pm 
Post subject:

Tynie Topics wrote:

Hearts recently auctioned off the 1914 iron turnstiles from the (now demolished) main stand.

They looked great, most made £1,000 each .

ssshh! Don't give them any idea of what they might get for them, I hope one day to get one for a song!
Flaming Pie

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 7:12 pm 
Post subject: Rebuilding a collection

A message for Footyfan who spoke about his mother throwing away his football memorabilia when he left home to join the army. Not name dropping or anything, but a few years ago l had a chat with Liverpool 1970's hero ' Supersub' David Fairclough. A smashing down to earth bloke . David told me that when he left Liverpool to play abroad, his mother did exactly the same thing, She had a clear out and threw out all his memorabilia from when he was a kid and his Liverpool career. Your not the only one Footyfan
derby1884
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 10:21 pm 

Five and In wrote:

While I also agree with Derby1884's comments about Ebay, I would add that Ebay has made collecting much easier than it was before.
I have certainly picked up items that I would never have even known about and I'm sure many others have done likewise.

We're never too old to learn - and I know I could probably benefit from some sort of "how to use EBay productively" course.
I go on, see page after page of the same old and, 10 minutes later, I've departed.

For instance, what is a) the best way to search for, say, pre-1960 non-league items and b) how to save the search criteria so it's easy to go to next time? Is it best to srt, say, 50 pages of post-1970 non-league programmes by price? Or by any other criteria?
Too much choice - I've always struggled a bit when that's the case. Become a rabbit caught in headlights Smile
Five and In

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 7:53 am 

derby1884 wrote:
Five and In wrote:

While I also agree with Derby1884's comments about Ebay, I would add that Ebay has made collecting much easier than it was before.
I have certainly picked up items that I would never have even known about and I'm sure many others have done likewise.

We're never too old to learn - and I know I could probably benefit from some sort of "how to use EBay productively" course.
I go on, see page after page of the same old and, 10 minutes later, I've departed.

For instance, what is a) the best way to search for, say, pre-1960 non-league items and b) how to save the search criteria so it's easy to go to next time? Is it best to srt, say, 50 pages of post-1970 non-league programmes by price? Or by any other criteria?
Too much choice - I've always struggled a bit when that's the case. Become a rabbit caught in headlights Smile

I tend to search for my Spurs items by the newly listed option Derby1884.
Because I search daily, it doesn't take too long to spot what I have already seen the day before and it keeps it simple.

If I am searching for something specific, I will try to get as many keywords in the search bar and hope that the best match option finds it for me, although sometimes this can need tweaking a little before I get there.
A good example would be if you were to enter "non league 1950's programme". You would find some, but would probably find more if you entered non league programme 1950" and then "1951" etc. A bit more of a chore, but can throw up more choices.

None of this will help though if the seller cannot spell and on the odd occasion I have dropped really lucky and found stuff l would never have found.
One that springs to mind was a joblot of 1950's programmes simply listed as "footy progs". Obviously nobody else saw them through searches as I picked them up for pennies. There were about 100 including Bobby Moore's debut for West Ham.

There is a way to save searches, but I personally don't use it, so somebody else can probably advise better than me on that one.
hydemaine

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 2:26 pm 
Post subject:

Tynie Topics wrote:
It’s interesting to see how the hobby helps people work through issues, some people go sky diving or volunteering to help, we collect bits of paper and metal, a lot of it worthless Laughing

This made me smile Tynie, I do this as well as collecting. Thumbs Up
Tynie Topics

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 7:56 pm 
Post subject:

hydemaine wrote:

This made me smile Tynie, I do this as well as collecting. Thumbs Up

Awesome, although I never understand why people throw themselves out of perfectly serviceable aircraft Laughing
derby1884
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 10:22 pm 

Five and In wrote:

I tend to search for my Spurs items by the newly listed option

That's not a bad idea - is there a way of letting EBay know I don't want to include any of the interminable list of 53/4 Bristol Rovers v Derby programmes in my search results?

Anyway, thanks for your advice. Much appreciated.
| More
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Queries About Football Programmes All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: