Football Programmes Centre

Rebuilding a collection
AlbumAlbum   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   My Wants ListMy Wants List   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Rebuilding a collection
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Queries About Football Programmes
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SJF73

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 1:11 pm 
Post subject: Rebuilding a collection

Hi all,

I have let go a number of programmes mainly due to creating space and streamlining my collection. Now I feel like getting back a lot of the ones I let go and rebuilding what I had. Is this a common thing among collectors or is it best to just look to obtain programmes that you have not owned before?

Thanks
derby1884
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 8:47 pm 
Post subject:

I'm not the best person at parting with programmes but, on the few occasions I have, I end up regretting it. Maybe not right away but further down the line, yes.

I'm about to embark on a "no pressure" long-term attempt to rebuild one very specific set of programmes I stupidly flogged 20 years ago. When I say "no pressure", I mean I won't be paying daft prices on EBay or auctions. It's not an "essential" part of my collection, hence I can actually enjoy hunting down all 50+ programmes one by one.

The key thing is, though, in my case, I'm not doing it to recapture the past or to redeem an earlier action - I'm doing it cos I want to.
littlewiggy

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 10:10 pm 
Post subject:

I think the pleasure of our hobby is defined not only by the items we procure, but also by the act of "collecting" itself. It's in our blood. It's what makes us tick and stimulates us.

I'm talking about the thrill of the chase, the relentless hunting down, the searching, the nervous auctions and desperate attempts to obtain, the emails, the perusing of lists and sites, the obsession with having.
Despite the inevitable disappointments along the way, we love all of this.

Indeed I think this is best summed up by those times when we finally get hold of something we've wanted for a long, long time.
There's barely time to savour the glorious satisfaction of having got it, perhaps a day at most maybe, before our attentions shift inevitably onto the next "must have" item. It's insatiable at times, our desire to collect.

Hence we love our footy memorabilia for sure, but it's also the rush and enjoyment of collecting itself that we're all addicted to.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/newport-county-badges/albums
derby1884
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 10:59 pm 
Post subject:

I think the pleasure of our hobby is defined not only by the items we procure, but also by the act of "collecting" itself. It's in our blood. It's what makes us tick and stimulates us.

Wouldn't argue with that - but I, personally, grow ever wearier with the monotony of EBay as the first port of call for collectors. Same items, same vendors trying to flog the same stuff, same lack of understanding of the market.

The world's most common football programme is 53/4 Bristol Rovers v Derby....those who laud the internet as a medium whereby everything finds its price ignore the fact that it costs dealer A nothing to keep this most common of programmes up on EBay at a fiver more than it's worth (assuming he listed it at a fiver).
Dorking

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 6:52 am 
Post subject:

Good description Wiggy

So true that - have in the past gotten a badge which I was really excited about, but within a day it's stored away, and only a few weeks later bought the same one again thinking I've done well to find 'a new one', only to store it and realise I already had it!

Of course there are always the treasured, favourite things in any collection, the 2% of the hoard which you go back to again and again and never get tired of looking at and remembering what makes them so special
manchesterunitedman1

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 9:21 am 
Post subject:

littlewiggy wrote:

I'm talking about the thrill of the chase, the relentless hunting down, the searching, the nervous auctions and desperate attempts to obtain, the emails, the perusing of lists and sites, the obsession with having.
Despite the inevitable disappointments along the way, we love all of this.

Indeed I think this is best summed up by those times when we finally get hold of something we've wanted for a long, long time.
There's barely time to savour the glorious satisfaction of having got it, perhaps a day at most maybe, before our attentions shift inevitably onto the next "must have" item. It's insatiable at times, our desire to collect.

Hence we love our footy memorabilia for sure, but it's also the rush and enjoyment of collecting itself that we're all addicted to.

I reckon that about sums it all up! well said because that is how it is, the thrill of the chase is in many ways the core of it all and then the relaxation afterwards being able to view it regularly in a relaxed manner, but your comments about now it is here-"ur old news pal" onto the next! love it because that is how it is for us all no matter what level you get too. Clap

To see 19,900++ original items relating to Newton Heath & Manchester Utd 1878-2023 then visit www.flickr.com/photos/manchesterunitedman1/sets to see entire uploads.

1000's more images to be uploaded, to view the latest uploads go to www.flickr.com/photos/manchesterunitedman1/

Click any images 21 MILLION views to date to the Flickr site since 2007 growing every day. New Uploads weekly. Thank You to one & all for visiting!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
Tynie Topics

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 10:31 am 
Post subject:

derby1884 wrote:
I'm about to embark on a "no pressure" long-term attempt to rebuild one very specific set of programmes I stupidly flogged 20 years ago. When I say "no pressure", I mean I won't be paying daft prices on EBay or auctions. It's not an "essential" part of my collection, hence I can actually enjoy hunting down all 50+ programmes one by one.

The key thing is, though, in my case, I'm not doing it to recapture the past or to redeem an earlier action - I'm doing it cos I want to.

Pretty much what I have kicked off recently, replacing items I sold on a number of years ago. It was a decision I was comfortable with at the time and it got me some cracking items in return for another area of my collection, however I now fancy getting some of these programmes back. I’m not going to engage is silly bidding wars or pay over the odds, I’ll pick-up items when they appear at a price I’m happy to pay (at the moment, less than what I sold them for first time round, such is the market), and I’m not looking to replace everything – I won’t be able to anyway.
Eck

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 10:42 am 
Post subject:

I don't regret giving up my Rangers collection because I couldn't afford to add to it, one thing that has cushioned the blow is that I have still got an interest in collecting, I have some good items and a Scottish cup collection, I also do a bit of buying and selling and when I get a new bundle I am as excited about it as I was when I was starting my Rangers collection. I love reading the programmes I buy as well and seeing the love and passion people have for their clubs from non league to the giants of the Prem, John Holroyd kicking off the programme fairs in Scotland again has been a massive shot in the arm to the game and last year's especially was a great occasion as well as Douglas Stephenson's in May.
Five and In

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 10:57 am 

I totally agree with everything in Wiggy's post.
Absolutely spot on mate.

Also, I have done the same as Dorking and purchased items that I already had in my collection.
My "checklist" should avoid that occurring in the future.

While I also agree with Derby1884's comments about Ebay, I would add that Ebay has made collecting much easier than it was before.
I have certainly picked up items that I would never have even known about and I'm sure many others have done likewise.
Tynie Topics

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 11:11 am 
Post subject:

I think we all have the “collecting bug” which will likely never go away.

Given I have nobody to pass the collection onto when I peg it, I fully intend to begin selling it in 20 years time (maybe 21 thanks to the Tories increasing the retirement age again), and treating her indoors to a few nice holidays in our old age. However, I doubt that I will ever get rid of the “bug” and I might even keep some of the less valuable parts of the collection for old times sake.

It’s an interesting dilemma for many collectors I guess, let someone inherit the collection, sell it on whilst you still can and enjoy the financial rewards, or do nothing and let someone else sort it out when you become worm food.
littlewiggy

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 11:14 am 
Post subject:

Eck wrote:
I don't regret giving up my Rangers collection because I couldn't afford to add to it, one thing that has cushioned the blow is that I have still got an interest in collecting, I have some good items and a Scottish cup collection, I also do a bit of buying and selling and when I get a new bundle I am as excited about it as I was when I was starting my Rangers collection. I love reading the programmes I buy as well and seeing the love and passion people have for their clubs from non league to the giants of the Prem, John Holroyd kicking off the programme fairs in Scotland again has been a massive shot in the arm to the game and last year's especially was a great occasion as well as Douglas Stephenson's in May.

That's me in a nutshell too Eck.

I had my post-war to present collection of Newport programmes at a point where I only needed 80-100 at most to complete. However, financially I knew I would never be in a position to get the expensive rarities needed, so my interest began to dwindle and I decided to sell up and instead focus my attentions elsewhere, on other items that I loved.
Space too was also a factor if I'm honest, and up to now I've not regretted it at all.

Quite the opposite in fact, as a collector it's breathed new life into me and given me a second wind.
I guess that's when I realised I loved the actual 'collecting' almost as much as I did the items themselves.

I do miss the days when a catalogue would thud through the letterbox though, I used to spend hours poring over those. Especially Roy Camels' exciting monthly offers, and Neil Goulding's massive card stock that took six catalogues to list.
As great a collecting tool as the internet is, there's nothing quite like the enjoyment of studying a paper catalogue and enthusiastically highlighting the bits that need your full attention!

Smile

littlewiggy

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 11:31 am 
Post subject:

For all its faults, eBay has been kind to collectors.
It's not just the massive availability of items we thought previously unobtainable, but it has also lowered prices to a more affordable level for budget collectors like myself.

Tynie's post reminded me of another important plus to our hobby / obsession.
If like me you're completely frivolous with money, and tend to piss it up the wall on ale when you have it, then collecting is also a great way to build a little nest egg.
I've never been able to save money, I'm just too weak and daft sadly.

Five and In

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 11:51 am 

littlewiggy wrote:

On this note I have to confess to taking delivery yesterday of two seats from the Shelf Side at White Hart Lane. One Blue and One White as I obviously had to have both.

Currently on the coffee table in my living room as I have no idea what I am going to do with them!

It probably also explains why my missus has been looking at me like I am an alien for the last 24 hours. Laughing
Tynie Topics

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 11:52 am 
Post subject:

It all depends on your circumstances. I’ve always had the attitude that I’d rather buy wisely as far as the collection is concerned than stuffing all my spare cash into savings, you can’t take it with you as they say. If I can enjoy the collection and the value holds reasonably well, then it’s a nest egg when I need it. That’s the reason I don’t buy current season issues in any sort of volume, with a few exceptions they are worthless now and will be worthless in 25 years time.

Reminds me of the old debate, do you collect for fun, or do you collect as an investment. For me it has always been a bit of both, I'm not and never have been well off, so I will probably need a return on my collection one day.
littlewiggy

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 12:12 pm 
Post subject:

Tynie Topics wrote:
It all depends on your circumstances. I’ve always had the attitude that I’d rather buy wisely as far as the collection is concerned than stuffing all my spare cash into savings, you can’t take it with you as they say. If I can enjoy the collection and the value holds reasonably well, then it’s a nest egg when I need it. That’s the reason I don’t buy current season issues in any sort of volume, with a few exceptions they are worthless now and will be worthless in 25 years time.

Reminds me of the old debate, do you collect for fun, or do you collect as an investment. For me it has always been a bit of both, I'm not and never have been well off, so I will probably need a return on my collection one day.

Spot on.
I collect for my own pleasure, but I'd be fibbing if I didn't admit to also considering potential re-sale values when deciding what I'm willing to pay for an item.

So like you, it's definitely a bit of both.

There are always odd items where all rationale goes out of the window, but in the main them's my rules too.

PS. Lolling here at Leslie's "Ur old news pal" (spot on, it's exactly that!) and Five's two pieces of historic 'Shelf' treasure (she'll never understand mate!!).

Very Happy

bee007

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 1:06 pm 
Post subject: Rebuilding a Collection

Back in the mid to late 70's I had a big gambling addiction. I also started to collect Badges. It came to a point when I decided to get help with the gambling. I was advised to get a hobby, and as I had started to collect Badges, that was my aim. Instead of putting £10 in a Fruit Machine, I would buy Badges(in those days Badges were quite cheap to get) I then found that if I had a risk of wanting to gamble, I would buy some dearer Badges with the money. Also at this time(now into the 80's) I was going to loads of games, and the thrill of visiting the old club shop at most grounds to look for Badges was enjoyable. Also seeking out Committee people to locate Badges. Peter Holtom's catalogue was a great sorce for Badges. Having built up a reasonable sized collection(about 700) by the end of the 90's, I then got burgled and lost the lot(the thief was caught later and admitted he didn't know what they were and dumped the lot) I dropped off from going to games(only a handful a season instead of about 80) and about 5 years ago decided to start collecting Badges again. The challenge is now to try and find the ones I had before. Many have turned up(some even cheaper) but there are ones that I bought easily from a club shop back then, that are not available now. The internet with ebay and other websites, has helped, but I am sure many more are out there but it is just a matter of finding them. I also believe there are some Badge dealers that don't sell on the internet, so it's a point of finding who they are. Luckily for me, the only addiction I have now is to find the Badges I want. Through this forum, and several others, it has been great seeing what every other person wants or collects and how others try to help each other out. Long may it continue. PS My original collection was a FC & SC Badge from all clubs, but now I only collect SC Badges from English/Welsh League & Non-League.
littlewiggy

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 1:22 pm 
Post subject: Re: Rebuilding a Collection

bee007 wrote:
Back in the mid to late 70's I had a big gambling addiction. I also started to collect Badges. It came to a point when I decided to get help with the gambling. I was advised to get a hobby, and as I had started to collect Badges, that was my aim. Instead of putting £10 in a Fruit Machine, I would buy Badges(in those days Badges were quite cheap to get) I then found that if I had a risk of wanting to gamble, I would buy some dearer Badges with the money. Also at this time(now into the 80's) I was going to loads of games, and the thrill of visiting the old club shop at most grounds to look for Badges was enjoyable. Also seeking out Committee people to locate Badges. Peter Holtom's catalogue was a great sorce for Badges. Having built up a reasonable sized collection(about 700) by the end of the 90's, I then got burgled and lost the lot(the thief was caught later and admitted he didn't know what they were and dumped the lot) I dropped off from going to games(only a handful a season instead of about 80) and about 5 years ago decided to start collecting Badges again. The challenge is now to try and find the ones I had before. Many have turned up(some even cheaper) but there are ones that I bought easily from a club shop back then, that are not available now. The internet with ebay and other websites, has helped, but I am sure many more are out there but it is just a matter of finding them. I also believe there are some Badge dealers that don't sell on the internet, so it's a point of finding who they are. Luckily for me, the only addiction I have now is to find the Badges I want. Through this forum, and several others, it has been great seeing what every other person wants or collects and how others try to help each other out. Long may it continue. PS My original collection was a FC & SC Badge from all clubs, but now I only collect SC Badges from English/Welsh League & Non-League.

Great post mate.
Very thought provoking and honest.

I'm a hopeless alky sadly, my demon is the drink.
I'm not ashamed of it, I am what I am.
Thankfully, my love of football & collecting ensures I only drink two or three times a month, instead of every day.

I'd likely be brown bread or in the gutter without this hobby.

Tynie Topics

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 4:44 pm 
Post subject:

It’s interesting to see how the hobby helps people work through issues, some people go sky diving or volunteering to help, we collect bits of paper and metal, a lot of it worthless Laughing
Footyfan

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 7:56 pm 
Post subject:

Back in 1975 when I left home to join the Army unbeknown to me my mother threw the bulk of my collection out.

I did not find out until several years later and felt I had lost a huge chunk of my childhood/teenage memories of following footbal through programmes and collectable sports newspapers. It has taken me many years to get back close to where I was with just a few ealry 1960s League cup issues to find. The 'hunt'is a big part of the pleasure of the hobby. I am now very selective in what I add as post 1975 items largely due to space and price and the boring predictably of the modern magazine style programmes.

I still get the buzz I got as akid when an enveloe with newly acquired items plops through the letter box.

Like others on this thread I have no one to hand ny collection on to and will have to address the question of when to sell up but I know it will be a difficult moment once I start to break up a lifetimes work but at least I will have had many years of pleasure from my collection and the hunt in tracking down specific items.

EBay has certainly been a good source and has helped bring down prices.
Dorking

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 9:03 pm 
Post subject:

I used to get Neil Goulding's stickers and card catalogues, and the same for Peter Holtom's football badges catalogue

As soon as I got them I'd race through and order literally everything Palace on sale which I didn't already have, as quick as possible, as first order got it!

Ebay has made a massive difference, things that were rare and hard to find are common as muck and worth little with such easy availability.

But I'd say out of my most valuable/rarest or most treasured old stuff,ebay is responsible for 7/10 of it.

Also, you go to a game at Wembley for example, and within the next few daysyou can buy every type of badge, ticket,lanyard,teamsheet, programme and so on,even betting slips etc. Before ebay most people wouldn't have dreamed of trying to sell their odd bits and bobs,but now its accessible
| More
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Queries About Football Programmes All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: