Football Programmes Centre

What's the rarest programme in your collection?
AlbumAlbum   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   My Wants ListMy Wants List   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
What's the rarest programme in your collection?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Queries About Football Programmes
View previous topic :: View next topic  
derby1884
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2017 8:31 pm 
Post subject:

As a ground-hopper who "needed" the programme

....you did Arbroath in January? Now that's devotion to the cause of groundhopping!

Rather bracing breeze comes in off the North Sea, eh? Smile

No wonder they sell more Bovril than programmes....
derby1884
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2017 8:46 pm 
Post subject:

"Rarest" is, of course, a very different concept from "most valuable"....if you collect old non-league then there's every chance that you might own the only surviving copy of a programme for a match. Though that's not to say anyone outside the "rare non-league" community would be in the slightest bit interested in acquiring it.

Ditto Derby programmes - I've never seen the away at Kilmarnock 49/50 come up for sale anywhere, yet I own a copy. Is it the only one? I very much doubt it!

The generally accepted "rarest Derby away that isn't a friendly" post-war is the single sheet at Barrow 55/6 which I would love to own one day but don't really expect to.

But who's to say a stash of them won't turn up one day soon and drop the selling price from £500 to £5? Smile
Pete’s Picture Palace
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2017 8:49 pm 
Post subject:

derby1884 wrote:
As a ground-hopper who "needed" the programme

....you did Arbroath in January? Now that's devotion to the cause of groundhopping!

Rather bracing breeze comes in off the North Sea, eh? Smile

No wonder they sell more Bovril than programmes....

In about 1988 I worked for a few months at a firm in the City with a bloke who is a St Johnstone supporter. I started on 2nd or 3rd Jan and he came in a day later. I didn't know the fella then and asked him what he'd done over Hogmanay, having cracked the fact that he was Scottish. "I went to Arbroath" he said. "Why's that?" I asked, thinking he liked smokies or something. "No, I saw my team St Johnstone playing there". A man after my own heart, I thought. "Was it a good game?" "I freezed my bl##dy bo##ocks off". Shocked
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
derby1884
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2017 9:03 pm 
Post subject:

If you stand on the terracing at Gayfield opposite the main stand, then you're literally 3 feet from the North Sea.

Away fans are told to go behind one of the goals (as I did 3 years ago when I went down to cheer on East Stirling!)....but not if it's a local derby against Montrose when the Gable Endies' fans are made to suffer 90 minutes of the brutal, horizontal North Sea "breeze" in their faces!

A day out at Gayfield is a unique experience - I've done 3 of the 4 sides of the ground. Bovril is an essential. As is a sense of humour...
garyspain

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 3:04 pm 
Post subject:

You never know what is in private collections. I've also seen programmes over the years once ever that I'd love to own that now may no longer exist.

I have a number of Irish programmes which may well be the only extant copies but may not be very valuable. A purchase by me last month on ebay was Larne v Distillery 33/4 that went for £103. I didn't know any prewar Larne homes existed before seeing this one.

I possibly own the only extant Fordsons programme a 1929 friendly v Kilmarnock.

I know of 2 extant Dolphin programmes v Rangers 1933 and v Notts County 1934 (mine).

I don't know if a programme was produced for Irish Free State (now Republic of Ireland) v Belgium 1929. There must have been but I don't know if any exist. I know of only 2 for sure (there probably is/was a 3rd - very long story and some involved now deceased) for Italy 27 and 2 (or possibly 3) for Spain 31.
| More
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Queries About Football Programmes All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: