Football Programmes Centre

What's the score got to do with it?
AlbumAlbum   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   My Wants ListMy Wants List   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
What's the score got to do with it?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Rare Football Programmes and Prices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wullie

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 9:26 pm 
Post subject: What's the score got to do with it?

You get this from time to time. A high scoring game and the run of the mill, massed produced programme becomes a rare collectors item. I can never work it out. http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/HEARTS-v.....5ad578f033
Tynie Topics

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 9:47 pm 
Post subject: Re: What's the score got to do with it?

Wullie wrote:
You get this from time to time. A high scoring game and the run of the mill, massed produced programme becomes a rare collectors item. I can never work it out. http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/HEARTS-v.....5ad578f033

I know, I actually need that one, but I've always refused to pay the inflated prices asked. It's not actually that rare.

Let the Leithers indulge in their fantasies, they never usually have anything else to celebrate anyway Scouse
Wullie

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 9:59 pm 
Post subject:

West Ham Beat Sunderland 8 - 0 in 1968 and Hurst scored six. ( he got 41 goals in 49 games that season...amazing) and of course some people put up the price of the programme because of this. Maybe the Hammers fans were so happy they ripped up all the programmes and threw them in the air, so not many have survived?????
ToffeeDan

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 10:28 pm 
Post subject:

I'd fish out my Everton - Southampton 8-0 if it wasn't for the fact we also managed 6-0, 7-1 and sundry other big scores in this fixture over the years... Very Happy
hydemaine

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 11:04 pm 
Post subject:

I've got a 1947 Manchester City v Stoke City where the original owner(I presume) has writen in very neat hand writing just at the very top of the programme v Stoke City (won 8-0)
I wonder if this makes it more authentic and therefore more valuable Confused
Dellboye

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 11:13 pm 
Post subject:

This must mean that my Chelsea vs Jeunesse Hautcharage 13-0 is worth thousands. Shocked
James

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 11:58 pm 
Post subject:

Seen the Spurs V Wigan programme for £10 on ebay just becasue we won 9-1 as you say they are mass produced and you can get the programme, teamsheet and ticket elsewhere on ebay for £4.50 buy it now.

Some people are just so greedy it's unreal
Auchinleckian
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 4:05 am 
Post subject: scores

Auchinleck won the Scottish Junior Cup last year beating Nairn St. Ninian 13-1 in the first round (we were actually a goal down after 1 minute!) and Dundee Violet 9-0. However, the programmes are still only worth their original value - it's people's expectations that generate higher prices, and I can well understand people paying slightly more for the programme if it holds special significance for them. BTW, we scored 34 goals en roue to winning the cup last year, a modern record. Not sure if it's the overall record due to lack of any proper archives anywhere.
Trouble was, with the 13-1 game I was in Mijas near Fenguirola at the time, same as I was when we won 8-0 against Muirkirk a few years back when the centre forward, Stevie Gallen, scored all 8 goals.
Kickoff3pm

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 11:36 am 
Post subject:

Dellboye wrote:
This must mean that my Chelsea vs Jeunesse Hautcharage 13-0 is worth thousands. Shocked

I sold one of those for about 12 quid last year I think.

I've got some Spurs 9 Wigan 1 progs if anyone want one Smile
seand

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 11:47 am 
Post subject:

I think it's fair enough that programmes from significant matches would attract some sort of premium (though not double or treble the normal price!). First and last games, record attendances, cup finals, league title clinchers, big name debuts, record wins all a little more attractive to the average/casual collector than run of the mill programmes from the same season.
Kickoff3pm

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 12:14 pm 
Post subject:

seand wrote:
I think it's fair enough that programmes from significant matches would attract some sort of premium (though not double or treble the normal price!). First and last games, record attendances, cup finals, league title clinchers, big name debuts, record wins all a little more attractive to the average/casual collector than run of the mill programmes from the same season.

We shouldn't moan about these things because it's these games that attract the new collectors isn't it ?
Tynie Topics

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 12:27 pm 
Post subject:

Hearts programmes for 72/73 season go for 50p-£1, the Hibs issue seems to start at £50 plus.

It's silly and prices like that don't attract new collectors as far as I'm concerned (although I appreciate this may be an exception).
1980Cossie

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 1:56 pm 
Post subject:

In some cases the score can add value but i'd say more so to the older programmes, there are collectors out there that collect club record defeats so this would mean more bidders for those programme hence pushing the price up and a lot of those records were set pre-war, for example 1934 Stockport v Halifax score 13-0, i wonder what Bon Accord v Arbroath would fetch at auction, Scottish Cup 1st round 12 September 1885, the worst defeat in any British senior match ever recorded, score 36-0 with John Petrie scoring 13,
JJPROGRAMMES

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 2:24 pm 
Post subject:

Charlton home programmes for the 57/58 season sell for anything between £1.50 to £4 but the Huddersfield programme sells for around the £20 mark (I could be slightly out as prices do fluctuate for this programme) this I presume is due to the 7-6 scoreline.
Wullie

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 5:05 pm 
Post subject:

Kickoff3pm wrote:
seand wrote:

We shouldn't moan about these things because it's these games that attract the new collectors isn't it ?

I disagree. If i were a young collector starting out, paying 50p/£1 for a programme then finding out iv'e got to find £60 for one programme to complete a set i'd be put off. It's the same with the Sunderland cup run 1973. Three programmes v Notts.County on ebay at the moment and all asking £75 or over. Dealers are just hanging on to them hoping that people will in the end pay these prices.
hydemaine

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 8:26 pm 
Post subject:

1980Cossie wrote:
In some cases the score can add value but i'd say more so to the older programmes, there are collectors out there that collect club record defeats so this would mean more bidders for those programme hence pushing the price up and a lot of those records were set pre-war, for example 1934 Stockport v Halifax score 13-0, i wonder what Bon Accord v Arbroath would fetch at auction, Scottish Cup 1st round 12 September 1885, the worst defeat in any British senior match ever recorded, score 36-0 with John Petrie scoring 13,

I found that Stockport v Halifax 13-0 in a big pile of County stuff I bought. The guy who was helping me was a mega County collector
he pointed that one out to me as I would never have known. To me it was just another pre war programme to him it was his 'penny black' of programmes and he had been hunting it for years ..never quite being able to get one.
I gave it to him as a Christmas present.
He insisted I have something from his collection in return but I wasn't looking for anything like for like.
Kickoff3pm

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 10:19 pm 
Post subject:

Wullie wrote:
Kickoff3pm wrote:
seand wrote:

I disagree. If i were a young collector starting out, paying 50p/£1 for a programme then finding out iv'e got to find £60 for one programme to complete a set i'd be put off. It's the same with the Sunderland cup run 1973. Three programmes v Notts.County on ebay at the moment and all asking £75 or over. Dealers are just hanging on to them hoping that people will in the end pay these prices.

You have understand markets. The reason these programes cost more is because they are fewer in the maketplace. That's because those who where at the game where more inclinded to hang on to the programme. This means in later years those who want to collect a full season find these are not around and so they pay more to fill the gaps in the collection.

Another problem is reliance on ebay. Idle collectors only check ebay all the time and think because a programme doesn't come on there it must be rarer then it really is. The is a whole world outside ebay and even a bigger world outside the internet.
hibernian

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 11:33 pm 

Tynie Topics wrote:
Wullie wrote:

I know, I actually need that one, but I've always refused to pay the inflated prices asked. It's not actually that rare.

Let the Leithers indulge in their fantasies, they never usually have anything else to celebrate anyway Scouse

Now now Tynie, your posting above makes you out as a bit of a bitter jambo. I was lucky enough to be at the game with my dad and can remember lots of jambos leaving at half time ( not surprised as it was 5-0 at the time) Easy
Lots of progs were lying on the ground abandoned by the fans who wanted to erase the afternoon from their memory as quickly as possible. Hearts fans did not keep them, Hibees have collected this specific issue ever since the game. I have a few non collecting mates who own the programme and would not part with it. It should be a bog standard 50p Hearts issue but for obvious reasons it is not. After all it is not every year your team can go away to your local rivals and stick 7 in the net without reply Very Happy
Tynie Topics

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 11:46 pm 

hibernian wrote:
Now now Tynie, your posting above makes you out as a bit of a bitter jambo. I was lucky enough to be at the game with my dad and can remember lots of jambos leaving at half time ( not surprised as it was 5-0 at the time) Easy
Lots of progs were lying on the ground abandoned by the fans who wanted to erase the afternoon from their memory as quickly as possible. Hearts fans did not keep them, Hibees have collected this specific issue ever since the game. I have a few non collecting mates who own the programme and would not part with it. It should be a bog standard 50p Hearts issue but for obvious reasons it is not. After all it is not every year your team can go away to your local rivals and stick 7 in the net without reply Very Happy

It took a bit of time, but reeled one in eventually Wink

I appreciate that the programme may not be as easy to come by as all the others that season, but asking £60 is a bit ridiculous. Then again if people snap them up then it only encourages that sort of profiteering.

I'll need to look after my Scottish Cup semi-final hammering of the Hibs in 2006, maybe one day I'll profit heavily from that Bow
ToffeeDan

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 12:45 am 
Post subject:

Tranmere 13 Oldham 4 Boxing Day 1935

and it would be kind of fun to collect the 10 programmes from Division 1 on Boxing Day 1963 and the return games 2 days later (2 matches not played on these 2 dates as well)

Blackpool 1-5 Chelsea
Burnley 6-1 Man Utd
Fulham 10-1 Ipswich
Leicester 2-0 Everton
Liverpool 6-1 Stoke
Nottm Forest 3-3 Sheff Utd
Sheff Wed 3-0 Bolton
West Brom 4-4 Tottenham
West Ham 2-8 Blackburn
Wolves 3-3 Aston Villa

Arsenal v Birmingham was played 5th November - result 4-1

In the return legs (2 days later) the results were:

Results/fixtures - 28-12-1963

Aston Villa 2-2 Wolves
Birmingham 1-4 Arsenal
Blackburn 1-3 West Ham
Bolton 3-0 Sheff Wed
Chelsea 1-0 Blackpool
Everton 0-3 Leicester
Ipswich 4-2 Fulham
Man Utd 5-1 Burnley
Sheff Utd 1-2 Nottm Forest
Tottenham 0-2 West Brom

Stoke v Liverpool was delayed until 29th April - result 4-1

Aggregate scores (114 goals 22 games):

Aston Villa 5-5 Wolves
Birmingham 2-8 Arsenal
Blackburn 2-11 West Ham
Bolton 3-3 Sheff Wed
Chelsea 6-1 Blackpool
Everton 0-5 Leicester
Ipswich 5-12 Fulham
Man Utd 6-7 Burnley
Sheff Utd 4-5 Nottm Forest
Stoke 5-7 Liverpool
Tottenham 4-6 West Brom
| More
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Rare Football Programmes and Prices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: